Marcus Marshall

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Tim "the TD poacher" Byerly says not so fast...
Look for Mr.Beast mode Byrely to have a few carries down at the goal line as well.
He definitely poached a bunch of TDs early in the year, but late in the season we started to see JT stay in on more goal line plays. I'm thinking with Skov in the mix, they'll keep JT in to keep the threat of going wide, and use Skov as the battering ram in the middle.

He definitely poached a bunch of TDs early in the year, but late in the season we started to see JT stay in on more goal line plays. I'm thinking with Skov in the mix, they'll keep JT in to keep the threat of going wide, and use Skov as the battering ram in the middle.
He's a senior this year. I suspect he will get more plays this season. Just watch :) I usually get some good inside info that is true for the most part.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think what we'll see the most is Skov leading JT up the gut.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I agree. My post was more TIC.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
First real post...ever. But I'm compelled to write because I'm more excited about Skov + MM than I was ZL + SD.

This season is set-up nicely at BB. Skov wants to prove something, has a grown-a$$ man's body, and he's competed at a high-level on the field and in the classroom. By all accounts, seems to be a fine young man with a good work ethic, and even better story, who will bring additional national interest to our program. Experience at BB notwithstanding, I think he'll have an incredible year and is likely to be an incredible mentor to MM, our elite Freshman RB.

That's right...Marcus Marshall is an elite RB recruit.

Even Carvell hints at it: "Marcus has taken a different path to big-time college football than his famous sibling, who was a nationally known prospect as a sophomore in high school." (But...) "Some of the fast start in recruiting had to do with Keith’s accomplishments in track. When Keith signed with UGA in 2012, he was rated as a five-star prospect and the nation’s No. 2 all-purpose running back. It has taken a little longer for his little brother to get his name out there. Marcus is a three-star prospect, and he attracted attention from scouts after a stellar senior season. He’s not as tall and fast as his brother, but he’s fast enough and is known for his tough running between the tackles. Marcus rushed for 2,198 yards and 30 touchdowns, breaking Keith’s single-season records in those categories."

From his HS coach: “We had three playoff games this year, and Marcus scored all 12 of our touchdowns and had over 700 yards rushing — that was in three playoff games against some pretty good teams,” Millbrook coach Clarence Inscore said.

Oh, yeah....MM is Nike Sparq verified 5'9 201lbs , 4.45 sprint. (FYI, his brother at UGA is currently listed at 5'11 212lbs, reputed to run 4.4). BONUS: MM's GPA was 4.3

That's all I've got.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
So … Bostic or Zenon could play BB? Come on now. You may be right about Marshall, of course; time will tell on that. As for switching positions between BB and AB: Anthony Allen and Lucas Cox say hello. I think Marshall and Land-Davis will end up where I said they will and that the main reason they're where they are is a combination of injuries and wanting to give them playing time. Again, time will tell. I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about any freshman who has someone who has played in a real college game ahead or tied with him, however. Experience really does count; Marshall is obviously a quality back, but Herschel Walker he ain't.

So … we disagree and the whole business will be settled on the field.
I think the "prototype " b back is not what everyone's thinking of. Most people think a B Back is a big back, really, a B Back is just the feature back in this offense.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This discussion is like "the SEC is the best conference top to bottom" discussion. There is some truth to both arguments...but both are also way overblown.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Keith has been snake bit with injuries I think. I've heard he's healthy now but mutt coaches make no mention of him that I've seen. Seems a bit odd. I hope he has a good year for himself...till we clobber him / them. I can't quite manage to pull for them to win...fan base is intolerable when they do well...though that could help us if we make a playoff run. Modern day football has some....negatives.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The night before last, I decided to do something I hadn't done yet, namely, watched MM's senior film from HS. The last I had seen of him was his junior film that was available during his recruitment several months ago. I was going to do this write up before going to the radio show last night but didn't get the chance. Then, CPJ blows me out of the water, making such glowing remarks about Marshall on the air. Selfishly, I like to be the guy who makes the scouting reports that come true. You know, the first guy to make the prediction. At the risk of having everyone say I am "piggy backing" on CPJ's comments, I will proceed because I can't get this out of my mind.

It was late at night and I was just looking to entertain myself for 10 minutes before turning the lights out. So, I turned on his film and started to watch, half-heartedly at first, between yawns. After catching myself saying "did I just see that?" and turning the film back over and over to confirm it wasn't an illusion, I settled in for an extended and focused viewing. I don't have a lot of time to do a professional length write up here, but there were a few things I picked up on that deserve to be brought to light, because they bode very well.

When analyzing his running style, I want you visualize something. Imagine, while on the move, a plumb bob dropping from MM's center of gravity to the ground. Marcus's feet, while turning over at a very quick rate as he moves down or through the LOS, land on the ground at a distance laterally from center that are well outside most backs. You may ask why I mention it. Well, the further a player's feet contact the turf laterally from his COG, the more stable he is, and able to withstand contact while keeping his balance. When you combine this with his low COG to start with, you really have something. To make things even more impressive, the number of times his feet actually contact the turf for every 10 yards of distance run, is far more than most backs as well. Any runner who stays in contact with the turf with the frequency he does will be able to cut and react to the passing scene with far more acuity than most players. Because of these reasons, he projects very well as an inside runner.

Now, once he gets into space, this kid has the ability to go from 40% to 100% at a level that is similar to JT. As is the case with JT, top speed is not that ridiculous (long striders can stay with him), but the transition time is where he gains his separation. Such is the case with MM. The bursts he shows out of cuts to a point where he is beating the angle is incredible. He gets the separation in the early burst and then nobody can gain on him. To me, this is reminiscient of Jonathan Dwyer. (I know, I know, CPJ said it first).

Because MM has a bit of a mechanical running style, much like JD, it is unlikely that he will lose much speed while carrying the football or wearing pads. He wasn't relying on good form to run anyway, so who cares if there is a ball in one hand, right? MM is thick. He is low. He runs with great turnover frequency and a relatively wide plant while staying in contact with the turf. He will turn heads. Mark it down.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My scouting of MM was pretty prescient given CPJ's comment last night:

https://gtswarm.com/threads/rb-marcus-marshall-mdmarshall34.5605/page-2

I don't say this much...but wow...this guy could be fantastic in our offense. Seriously, I got tired of watching all his TD runs and I cut it off after 5 minutes.

If this guys was 5'10 or taller (he's not 5'9), all the factories would be on him. He's a legit RB...most guys with that speed usually take the handoff and bounce outside to "out athlete" the defense. He's making his reads through the hole and letting his natural RB instincts take over. It seems like every single run (to the endzone) he's breaking at least 2-3 tackles. He's got pretty good power for his size, and great balance and vision. His vision at the LOS reminds me a lot of Dwyer in that he can make guys miss in tight spaces and find the next level. His ability to cut and get up to full speed is really impressive. Once in the open field he has another gear like JD had.

Would be really happy with this get even though we have a good number of ABs committed to us already.

I need to start my own recruit scouting service. :)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tree trunks are stationary. Maybe if we borrow from the animal kingdom, he's like a wart hog. How would like to try and tackle one of these?

nigel-pavitt-katavi-national-park-a-warthog-runs-with-its-tail-in-the-air-tanzania.jpg

Doesn't that look more like Skov than MM? I can't wait to compare them live, then I'll decide. Nothing better than a BB dive to consistently move the chains. Nothing fancy, just like old time smash mouth Redskin football with the hogs. But I'll take wart hogs instead thank you.

@Boomergump , awesome post above.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, I haven't watched Skov run yet, so not much to report on that front, other than him being a great kid and all.

wesleyd21

Georgia Tech Fan
When he's running down the field, you could set an open can of beer on top of MM's helmet and it wouldn't spill.

People used to say that about Eric Dickerson.

The night before last, I decided to do something I hadn't done yet, namely, watched MM's senior film from HS. The last I had seen of him was his junior film that was available during his recruitment several months ago. I was going to do this write up before going to the radio show last night but didn't get the chance. Then, CPJ blows me out of the water, making such glowing remarks about Marshall on the air. Selfishly, I like to be the guy who makes the scouting reports that come true. You know, the first guy to make the prediction. At the risk of having everyone say I am "piggy backing" on CPJ's comments, I will proceed because I can't get this out of my mind.

It was late at night and I was just looking to entertain myself for 10 minutes before turning the lights out. So, I turned on his film and started to watch, half-heartedly at first, between yawns. After catching myself saying "did I just see that?" and turning the film back over and over to confirm it wasn't an illusion, I settled in for an extended and focused viewing. I don't have a lot of time to do a professional length write up here, but there were a few things I picked up on that deserve to be brought to light, because they bode very well.

When analyzing his running style, I want you visualize something. Imagine, while on the move, a plumb bob dropping from MM's center of gravity to the ground. Marcus's feet, while turning over at a very quick rate as he moves down or through the LOS, land on the ground at a distance laterally from center that are well outside most backs. You may ask why I mention it. Well, the further a player's feet contact the turf laterally from his COG, the more stable he is, and able to withstand contact while keeping his balance. When you combine this with his low COG to start with, you really have something. To make things even more impressive, the number of times his feet actually contact the turf for every 10 yards of distance run, is far more than most backs as well. Any runner who stays in contact with the turf with the frequency he does will be able to cut and react to the passing scene with far more acuity than most players. Because of these reasons, he projects very well as an inside runner.

Now, once he gets into space, this kid has the ability to go from 40% to 100% at a level that is similar to JT. As is the case with JT, top speed is not that ridiculous (long striders can stay with him), but the transition time is where he gains his separation. Such is the case with MM. The bursts he shows out of cuts to a point where he is beating the angle is incredible. He gets the separation in the early burst and then nobody can gain on him. To me, this is reminiscient of Jonathan Dwyer. (I know, I know, CPJ said it first).

Because MM has a bit of a mechanical running style, much like JD, it is unlikely that he will lose much speed while carrying the football or wearing pads. He wasn't relying on good form to run anyway, so who cares if there is a ball in one hand, right? MM is thick. He is low. He runs with great turnover frequency and a relatively wide plant while staying in contact with the turf. He will turn heads. Mark it down.