Marcus Marshall

Sheldon's

Jolly Good Fellow
Cutting right after hitting the hole is exactly what they want the B-back to do. A guy I met that knew Wes Durham once told me of a player we had at B-back that loved contact (not going to name the guy). Every time he hit the hole he'd run straight at the linebackers. Coaches kept trying to get him to cut, but he wanted to bowl over the defenders. It didn't work out and he ended up changing positions.

The home run threat we had at B-Back with Dwyer had a lot to do with two things: 1) his legs were massive and he was hard to tackle, 2) the cuts he made after the first level

The thing that stands out to me when you watch Marshall's high school tape is just this...he sees the holes develop and cuts right when he hits the hole.

I'm not trying to knock what our B-backs did the last few years, as they always gained yards and it produced wins...but man, this kid has me excited. If this one skill translates to college ball then this kid is going to be a stud for us over the next four years.
Can't put my finger on it, maybe this is it, but when I watched MM film, he reminded me of a smaller version of Dwyer.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Peterson and Eckle are quite different in size and speed but theres little debate in they are the top 2 b-backs CPJ has ever had. I'd say Dwyer pulls up the top 3.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
What if he can see the future like jet.
Once on same page= 2raised 2.-
Then add burden seeing the future = 3 &raised to 3.
Which means dc MUSTover load the middle to stop long gain. No more max gain guard gap =10 yds.
Welcome to last 4 games of 2015. Time to let the yellow jackets run loose

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What if he can see the future like jet.
Once on same page= 2raised 2.-
Then add burden seeing the future = 3 &raised to 3.
Which means dc MUSTover load the middle to stop long gain. No more max gain guard gap =10 yds.
Welcome to last 4 games of 2015. Time to let the yellow jackets run loose
Sent you a PM.

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
Peterson and Eckle are quite different in size and speed but theres little debate in they are the top 2 b-backs CPJ has ever had. I'd say Dwyer pulls up the top 3.

So you would honestly take Eckle over Dwyer if you could add one to our team right now? You think Eckle could be ACC OPOY if he was on this team?

Nothing against Eckle but I think Johnson's teams at GT are his best squads ever due to the higher level of talent. Maybe Dwyer didn't have quite the same impact on his team that Eckel had (still arguable) because he was surrounded by more talented players and played against more talented teams but to think that he wouldn't be an absolute legend had he gone to Navy or Ga. Southern is foolish. Chances are Allen, Laskey, Days all would have too.

Not trying to bash Eckel or anything, just trying to stand up for our guys who have all been very talented, especially Dwyer

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
I think we are about to be absolutely loaded at the B-Back position for the foreseeable future. We have Marshall, MLD, Quaide and then throw in Mills next year; I think any one of these guys are capable of starting for us.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I just don't understand this "prototypical BB" stuff. There is NO prototypical BB. Ask CPJ. I don't think MM moves, b/c I think he is that good. And I think he would have moved up regardless of MA being dinged. Also, if MM and MLD are both healthy and eligible, why would coaches have them both at a position where they will not ultimately end up? There is no logic there.
So … Bostic or Zenon could play BB? Come on now. You may be right about Marshall, of course; time will tell on that. As for switching positions between BB and AB: Anthony Allen and Lucas Cox say hello. I think Marshall and Land-Davis will end up where I said they will and that the main reason they're where they are is a combination of injuries and wanting to give them playing time. Again, time will tell. I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about any freshman who has someone who has played in a real college game ahead or tied with him, however. Experience really does count; Marshall is obviously a quality back, but Herschel Walker he ain't.

So … we disagree and the whole business will be settled on the field.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So … Bostic or Zenon could play BB? Come on now. You may be right about Marshall, of course; time will tell on that. As for switching positions between BB and AB: Anthony Allen and Lucas Cox say hello. I think Marshall and Land-Davis will end up where I said they will and that the main reason they're where they are is a combination of injuries and wanting to give them playing time. Again, time will tell. I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about any freshman who has someone who has played in a real college game ahead or tied with him, however. Experience really does count; Marshall is obviously a quality back, but Herschel Walker he ain't.

Marshall already has 20 pounds on boss 2 cans and sending and he's only a freshman.

(Smh voice texting.... that's Bostic and Zenon)

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A few thoughts and / or opinions:

Who would YOU rather tackle in the A Gap (regardless of your size), a 6-4 220 lb BB or a 5-8 210 lb BB? I know what I would pick. Question: just where would you choose to put your helmet on the 5-8 210 lb guy? If you ask any well known defensive player who the hardest guys to tackle are, I guarantee you it will be guys like "Iron Head" Heyward who are big AND low. (Ibeballin please chime in). (Of course Ibeballin was pretty much of this build himself).

I don't know how much MA being dinged up factored into his placement below MM and PS in the depth chart, but if it wasn't a factor, then it is good news for Yellow Jacket nation. MA handled himself well in the spring game, if he is being pushed down solely because of performance, then we have raised the bar, which is a good for the team.

I saw MM two feet away from me at fan day. He is not slight of frame. In fact, I would say he is rather thickly built. Combine that with his burst, that we all know of, and his cutting ability, and what do you have? A threat. That is what I say.

I have been trying to keep my mouth shut about some of this stuff, but I hope we all appreciate the sheer level of talent and athleticism that we hauled in with the 2015 class in the skill positions. This is NOT your ordinary group. We need to stop with all this supposition (to the negative) and worry. MM can run and run well. My only concern is if he will hold on to the football and block. There isn't a shred of doubt in my brain that he can handle the BB position once the ball is tucked away.

Patrick Skov is a tough kid with a lot of experience. If MM is right there with him at 18 years of age..........

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Cme on @Boomergump , tackle a fire hydrant or a string bean? Not a fair comparison.

In response I offer two facts about why size matters.

1) Here is the listing of all AB and BB on our team. What is noticeable about their weight? From http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/geot-m-footbl-mtt.html
Nate Cottrell AB 5-11 185 FR
Qua Searcy AB 5-11 167 RS FR
Clinton Lynch AB 6-0 181 RS FR N
Isiah Willis AB 5-9 193 RS JR
Roberto Hinojosa AB 5-10 179 RS SR
Chris Turner AB 6-0 190 FR
Omahri Jarrett AB 5-10 168 FR
Denis Onwualu AB 5-8 180 RS SR
TaQuon Marshall AB 5-10 175 FR
J.J. Green AB 5-9 185 JR
Austin McClellan AB 5-9 186 RS JR
Broderick Snoddy AB 5-9 190 RS SR
Brady Swilling BB 6-2 213 RS SO
Quaide Weimerskirch BB 6-0 205 FR
Marcus Marshall BB 5-10 200 FR
C.J. Leggett BB 5-10 207 RS FR
Patrick Skov BB 6-1 235 SR
Ryan Braswell BB 5-11 211 RS SO
Marcus Allen BB 6-2 225 RS JR
Mikell Lands-Davis BB 5-11 205 FR

2) I've been married 36 years and my wife tells me it does. Q.E.D.

prifle2

Jolly Good Fellow

I'm sure you've probably forgotten, but Zenon did play bback at Tech for at least one play. He ran a wheel route on the first play of a game against MTSU for a score. So not only could he play BBACK he could score a 73 yard TD. :)

Carober18

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree with everything Boomer said, and I will also add something everyone knows here. MM was given a scholarship offer very late in the process, after GT already had a lot of commitments at RB (even if a bunch at AB), at a time when GT arguably was struggling/juggling to make the numbers for the class work. That says something about the talent.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

Bro I didn't claim that ANY back of ANY size could be a BB. I said there's not prototype. And I got this quote from a coach, so I'll go with that. Also, are you serious about the position switches? So according to you, CPJ's logic is "I know MLD is a BB and MM is an AB, but in their first year I'm gonna play them completely opposite of that. In fact, I'm gonna make the future AB my first string BB over other candidates"? Come on man...

Carober18

Georgia Tech Fan
I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about any freshman who has someone who has played in a real college game ahead or tied with him, however.

This makes no sense to me. If a freshman is tied with anyone with experience after 2 weeks of fall camp, then that says to me the exact opposite of what you suggest, unless you hold your enthusiasm for something different than me.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Always thought Giovani Bernard would have been amazing as a BBack. Just a year ago, many of us were talking about JT and questioned what the perfect QB size would be and could someone so small hold up. It would be cool if we were revisiting this discussion after this season is over and reconsidering the perfect size of our BBack. From my view MM looks like a breakout guy this year.