Man, USF REALLY took it out of me

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I don't think CPJ has that fire in his belly like his first few years here. I have to agree with a lot of what Techster wrote. I read a lot of posts that say what good coach would want to coach at GT if Johnson left. Every head football coach was an assistant coach during their career. There might not be a great head coach that Tech could lure, but there are a lot of great assistant coaches waiting their turn to get that head coaching job. Our problem, CPJ got an extension on his contract ( I think GT has an issue with how it handles money :whistle:). Financially, we're going to have to wait it out. Continue to support the players and the program and see how TStan leads us.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I read a lot of posts that say what good coach would want to coach at GT if Johnson left.

Tech is still D-1 with a storied history and great match ups. We’re attractive, but won’t get a Top 30 head coach ... maybe a good assistant. Bobby Dodd after all, was an assistant.

We need some one who can recruit and also run a program. I like to the TO, but what about running a West Coast offense?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Tech is still D-1 with a storied history and great match ups. We’re attractive, but won’t get a Top 30 head coach ... maybe a good assistant. Bobby Dodd after all, was an assistant.

We need some one who can recruit and also run a program. I like to the TO, but what about running a West Coast offense?
What about a young disciple of CPJ who can recruit?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Im going to be completely open and honest:

Im over CPJ. I don't mean that in a negative way. I like him, and i think he means well, and i really think he cares for the players. IMO, there comes a time when a coach's message and style just gets stale. It's starting to remind me a lot of Bobby Cremins last years. Remember, Cremins left for South Carolina, but had second thoughts and came immediately back. It just was never the same after that. Cremins held on for 7 more seasons, but only made the NCAA tournament one time. What happened this offseason with CPJ? Let's not forget, despite his denials, he pursued the Tennessee opening. I think CPJ knows he's probably at the end of the line here, regardless if he got an extension or not this offseason. What's that saying? A coach loses support of 10% of the fanbase every season? CPJ has been here 10 seasons now. He's done FANTASTIC things for this program, and he's definitely going to leave this program better than when he came in. Unfortunately, the college landscape has changed a lot since 2007, and in a lot of ways those changes are not a fit for CPJ at GT.

Stansbury is doing A LOT to support this program, and I think he's doing the right thing to make this job attractive when CPJ's time is up. No coach can come in here and say Stansbury doesn't support the football program, or GT isn't willing to step up and spend money, and I think that is going to be key for the next guy. In many ways, we can thank CPJ for the changes on the horizon, and it may be unfortunate that he won't be around for them.

The head coach matters less to me than the GT on the helmet and "Georgia Tech" on the jersey. Coaches come and go. I'll always support the players, and enjoy watching guys develop over their careers. The success of CPJ and GT are tied together, so obviously I want both to do well. I just think it's time for someone else to carry the fire and bring a new message.

I think a lot of us have sort of the same feeling about CPJ but imo during the season is not the time to focus on such topics unless things go way south and he loses the team. Coach has done some very positive things for our program and given us some great seasons and wins and runs a very clean program and i really hope he can go out on his own terms and retire after a nice bowl win for GT.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I'm open. But ... I think we need someone who coaches like a CEO and can run a program. CPJ was mentioned for the UT job and knowing UT, they would have eaten him alive. He would have been a good coach, but the programs are so much bigger now and I don't think CPJ changed much in his career.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I was at Tech during CPJs first few seasons as well as Gailey's last season. I will say there was a stark contrast between the last year of Gailey and the first few seasons of CPJ. There was excitement at Bobby Dodd, and we actually were filling the stadium. I love the TO and admit, coming from Georgia Southern at one point I like CPJs style. I want to hold off on completely judging the season until it ends, because of 2014. However I will say some of that excitement and flare that CPJ brought to the team and some of what made us unique has faded. Maybe we are all used to the TO now, and have seen some of the flaws the past few years who knows. I just remember watching CPJ early at Tech, watching us get up ahead way early in the game, and to end with a CPJ death march. Haven't really seen that in a few years and does make me wonder if its the current team or if it is CPJ. Either way, a new coach may not be bad soon just to bring back some of that excitement, but as others have said we are just not going to get someone like Dabo at GT, but we can still get someone to make us competitive again against schools like Clemson and VT etc.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
There's exactly 1 school in the ACC that GT isn't competitive against. GT's beaten VT 3 of the lasts 4 years, SHOULD have had Miami 2 of the last 4 years, and for whatever reason, seems to play like poop against Duke, of all schools.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee would never have hired Paul Johnson. A triple option offense head coach was a non-starter from the very beginning. They would have hired WSU head coach Mike Leach before they would have hired Paul Johnson.

I don’t disagree. My point was that I don’t think CPJ ever wanted the UT job either.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don’t disagree. My point was that I don’t think CPJ ever wanted the UT job either.

I think GT and fans are giving CPJ a free pass on it.

Here's the thing: Coaches and their agents usually use the media for leverage. In CPJ's case, no one knew about the UT job situation until months AFTER CPJ signed his contract and UT already had its coach. No one would have even known about UT and CPJ had it not been for a reporter filing an FOI request for the UT records. We live in the day and age of Twitter and social media, it's easy for an agent to put word out there to create leverage. You can't create leverage after the fact. Listen, I get it...I don't begrudge CPJ doing what he thinks is in his best interest. But a used car salesman isn't creating leverage after he's already sold the car.

Given how highly publicised UT's search was for the whole nation, don't you think CPJ's interest to the media would have been an attention getter...especially if you're trying to create negotiation leverage? Also, keep in mind, it's one thing if it was UT reaching out to CPJ, it's a whole other thing when it's CPJ's side reaching out to UT. What if UT would have said "Heck yeah...we'll give you $1million more than what GT is paying you?" CPJ would look silly and unprofessional pursuing a job he didn't really want. CPJ may be many things, but I doubt he's the type to actively pursue something he doesn't want.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
its not just that. Its the late bombardment of injuries and attrition of top talent (just at BB alone its eye opening); on top of not winning a road game in over a year, on top of consistent and crappy sp teams play, 2 out of 3 losing seasons, what seems to be a consistent and constant repetition of the same exact mistakes over and over on both units, and maybe worse and finally, what seems like losing a game, while up double digits in the second half, 4th quarter, or having a lead with less than 2 minutes left, and losing; and losing ALOT in this fashion. Not once. Like 4 times plus a year. Then USF happens and rips open all that again. And we have no business losing. Fumbles, INTs, awful decisions, boneheaded coaching, boneheading playing, lack of focus in the end. Its literally putting a gun to your head stuff.

I think its all of that for me; not just a simple loss in a vacuum. But thats what makes us fans.
Complete agreement. It's not fixing issues , year over year........Grrr.

WrexRacer

Georgia Tech Fan
There's exactly 1 school in the ACC that GT isn't competitive against. GT's beaten VT 3 of the lasts 4 years, SHOULD have had Miami 2 of the last 4 years, and for whatever reason, seems to play like poop against Duke, of all schools.

The Duke and VT records seem more of a reflection on Roof than CPJ. Feunte couldn’t solve the riddle, while Cutcliffe was scoring at will.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I have figured it kind of like a serious relationship : first you have the early years of hope, excitement , optimism ; then you are in the plateau of some ups , a few downs : then you begin the final descent - the fire is going out, you get frustrated and even bitter , easily pissed off. In the end stage you KNOW you will NEVER feel the way you did during the good years. Physically , you cheer , go through the motions , yell " Goooo Yella Jackets " , a few hi fives all around. But in your heart , you just aren't feeling it , and know you never will ( with this coach ) again.

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I have figured it kind of like a serious relationship : first you have the early years of hope, excitement , optimism ; then you are in the plateau of some ups , a few downs : then you begin the final descent - the fire is going out, you get frustrated and even bitter , easily pissed off. In the end stage you KNOW you will NEVER feel the way you did during the good years. Physically , you cheer , go through the motions , yell " Goooo Yella Jackets " , a few hi fives all around. But in your heart , you just aren't feeling it , and know you never will ( with this coach ) again.
Wow, that nailed it for me.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer

For me, unless something changes soon, I'm about at that point that I'm totally over the TO offense.
I've been around for awhile so this isn't my first rodeo and I'm about over the USF debacle and on to the Pitt game, but two things in general continue to bother me.
1) Didn't CPJ or SOMEBODY on the coaching staff notice that there were a bunch of Freshman on the KO team and throw up the red flag before gameday ???
2) Didn't CPJ or SOMEBODY on the coaching staff study game film and notice USF is prone to hurry-up on offense and prepare for it in practice, why was this such a BIG surprise ???

Techster

Helluva Engineer
For me, unless something changes soon, I'm about at that point that I'm totally over the TO offense.
I've been around for awhile so this isn't my first rodeo and I'm about over the USF debacle and on to the Pitt game, but two things in general continue to bother me.
1) Didn't CPJ or SOMEBODY on the coaching staff notice that there were a bunch of Freshman on the KO team and throw up the red flag before gameday ???
2) Didn't CPJ or SOMEBODY on the coaching staff study game film and notice USF is prone to hurry-up on offense and prepare for it in practice, why was this such a BIG surprise ???

The one thing I saw, WHILE the game was going on, was Barnett was willing to pull the ball and run. By golly, I kept yelling at the screen: OLBs need to keep contain on the edge!!! Let the DL and MLBs worry about the dive man, and the OLBs need to worry about not letting Barnett gash us for easy yards. Holy crap, CPJ even said after the game the OLBs needed to trust their teammates and handle their responsibilities on those plays. Time and again, the OLBs went willy nilly after the dive man, and Barnett just went for a nice stroll for 10+ yards (and some TDs).

OK...if fans are seeing it, how in the heck is that not being conveyed to the players?! If the players can't follow instructions, get the next guy in. Between letting 2 KO returns go for TDs, and not playing simple assignments, I think we gave up points that would easily won us the game.