Man, USF REALLY took it out of me

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I'm tired of people bashing TQM, specifically when talking about his ability to throw the football. If you can't see that there is a marked improvement between him last year and this year, idk what to tell you. He went 9/18 on Saturday, which is right at the 50% mark everyone has been clamoring for. If you really break down what he did on Saturday, I thought he threw the ball pretty well.

1. Complete - 18 yd pass to Qua Searcy
2. Complete - 81 yd pass to Clinton Lynch (TD)
3. Complete - 9 yd pass to Clinton Lynch
4. Incomplete - pass to Jalen Camp (3rd down screen pass - low, bad throw)
5. Interception - bad throw at the end of the half trying to make something big happen
6. Complete - 21 yd pass to Clinton Lynch (picks up big first down - first play back after taking TO out)
7. Incomplete - This was a pitch that was actually forward so it counted as a pass attempt
(Another pass here that was complete for first down yardage, but got called back for holding)
8. Incomplete - Throw away, under extreme pressure
9. Interception - Hit as he threw

These are the throws before the last drive of the game - note that of the 5 incompletions, 1 was an interception where he was hit, 1 was a throw away, and 1 was actually a forward pitch. Really only 2 bad throws that I would squarely put on him.

10. Incomplete - pass to Brad that was broken up, on target but nice play by DB
11. Complete - 21 yd pass to Qua Searcy (probably his best throw of the day, evades pressure and delivers a strike)
12. Complete - 6 yd pass to Brad Stewart
13. Complete - 6 yd pass to Nathan Cottrell
14. Incomplete - overthrew Brad
15. Incomplete - overthrew Jalen Camp on curl route short of the sticks
16. Complete - 13 yd pass to Malachi Carter
17. Complete - 8 yd pass to Jalen Camp (short of the sticks)
18. Incomplete - shot at the endzone

I would really put 4 out of 9 incompletions on TQM, and classify them as bad throws. If you go back and watch the film objectively, I thought this was one of his best games throwing the ball.
I agree. TQM looked really good Saturday... 2 bad plays and Shawn Jones otherwise. I think he may win us some games this year with clutch performances ala JT.

Seriously, if Qua doesn't fumble that ball (I still love you forever Qua!), or we don't get completely hosed by the refs, or if we just have normal ST's, we're all singing and foaming at the mouth about the rest of the season, talking about what a great QB TQM might be this year, how unstoppable the offense is, how the defense really shows promise of what it can become, and what color uniforms we should wear in Charlotte. (AHHHH!!!)

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Here's one for the Geek in all of us.

Has anyone stared at the scoreboard like I have and seen the National Championship Years of 1917, 1928, 1952 and 1990? Before the games, I often stare at those numbers and for some reason, I found a strange pattern in them, almost as if they represent some kind of Fibonacci sequence. (Don't try this at UGA.)

So, here it is. The years 1917, 1928, 1952 and 1990 are separated by 11, 24, and 38. But ... like a good Fibonacci series .. the differential of the number in and of itself are 13, 14, and 15! In other words, in each year that we won a nattie, determine the gap and add the next integer in the sequence, and it's a national championship year.

By my calculations, we should win a National Championship in 2043. I feel this is Nobel Prize Worthy material.

Maybe not a NC, but I'll buy you are a beer just for making stats come alive.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I'm tired of people bashing TQM, specifically when talking about his ability to throw the football. If you can't see that there is a marked improvement between him last year and this year, idk what to tell you. He went 9/18 on Saturday, which is right at the 50% mark everyone has been clamoring for. If you really break down what he did on Saturday, I thought he threw the ball pretty well.

1. Complete - 18 yd pass to Qua Searcy
2. Complete - 81 yd pass to Clinton Lynch (TD)
3. Complete - 9 yd pass to Clinton Lynch
4. Incomplete - pass to Jalen Camp (3rd down screen pass - low, bad throw)
5. Interception - bad throw at the end of the half trying to make something big happen
6. Complete - 21 yd pass to Clinton Lynch (picks up big first down - first play back after taking TO out)
7. Incomplete - This was a pitch that was actually forward so it counted as a pass attempt
(Another pass here that was complete for first down yardage, but got called back for holding)
8. Incomplete - Throw away, under extreme pressure
9. Interception - Hit as he threw

These are the throws before the last drive of the game - note that of the 5 incompletions, 1 was an interception where he was hit, 1 was a throw away, and 1 was actually a forward pitch. Really only 2 bad throws that I would squarely put on him.

10. Incomplete - pass to Brad that was broken up, on target but nice play by DB
11. Complete - 21 yd pass to Qua Searcy (probably his best throw of the day, evades pressure and delivers a strike)
12. Complete - 6 yd pass to Brad Stewart
13. Complete - 6 yd pass to Nathan Cottrell
14. Incomplete - overthrew Brad
15. Incomplete - overthrew Jalen Camp on curl route short of the sticks
16. Complete - 13 yd pass to Malachi Carter
17. Complete - 8 yd pass to Jalen Camp (short of the sticks)
18. Incomplete - shot at the endzone

I would really put 4 out of 9 incompletions on TQM, and classify them as bad throws. If you go back and watch the film objectively, I thought this was one of his best games throwing the ball.
Post of the week!!!
Has a clear point and a lot of number facts!
Note TQM can throw short passes if coach calls that play. WHAT GREAT NEWS GT DOES NOT "ONLY " PASS LONG !! Imo this is a big deal . We could in theory get a higher completion rate , but the main thing is the DC s have not seen this.

PS Malichi Carter has baller moves and looks ready to play , especially if we are passing. Looked like he has good hands.

THERE - a few numbers and now "Everybody let's get back on the hype train! "

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Here's one for the Geek in all of us.

Has anyone stared at the scoreboard like I have and seen the National Championship Years of 1917, 1928, 1952 and 1990? Before the games, I often stare at those numbers and for some reason, I found a strange pattern in them, almost as if they represent some kind of Fibonacci sequence. (Don't try this at UGA.)

So, here it is. The years 1917, 1928, 1952 and 1990 are separated by 11, 24, and 38. But ... like a good Fibonacci series .. the differential of the number in and of itself are 13, 14, and 15! In other words, in each year that we won a nattie, determine the gap and add the next integer in the sequence, and it's a national championship year.

By my calculations, we should win a National Championship in 2043. I feel this is Nobel Prize Worthy material.

Differential Y, Differential X, To hell with differentials, we want... (Tech cheers were so simple back in the day!)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yes a lot lol

gtfo-kick.gif

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I love college football, I like GT, and I enjoy rooting the team on, but man, last week was as disheartening to me as any game I can remember that didn't involve UVa.

Like, the kicking issues, the defensive issues, the inability to recruit/keep/avoid the injury bug on even a mediocre passer.

I really thought maybe this year would be different. I thought "FINALLY, an attacking defense that won't get bled dry down the stretch", and FINALLY ONE DAGGONE KID whose high school tape didn't look like a DB playing QB, and maybe a kicker without a bum groin and not named Butker. FINALLY, an OL that isn't a patchwork quilt of walkons and underclassmen.

But nope, LJ can't stay healthy.
Nope, TQM still looks like a DB throwing the ball.
Nope, Oliver is apparently (somehow) even worse.
Nope, the defense got run through down the stretch.
Nope, multiple kick returns for touchdowns.
Nope, EVERY offensive lineman is somehow hurt in the 2nd game of the season (how is that even possible? Do we just run around dropping anvils on or OL's feet during practice all year long?)

I can't even bring myself to get up about Pitt.

It sucks.

Well on the bright side....you still have Bronco at uva.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Im going to be completely open and honest:

Im over CPJ. I don't mean that in a negative way. I like him, and i think he means well, and i really think he cares for the players. IMO, there comes a time when a coach's message and style just gets stale. It's starting to remind me a lot of Bobby Cremins last years. Remember, Cremins left for South Carolina, but had second thoughts and came immediately back. It just was never the same after that. Cremins held on for 7 more seasons, but only made the NCAA tournament one time. What happened this offseason with CPJ? Let's not forget, despite his denials, he pursued the Tennessee opening. I think CPJ knows he's probably at the end of the line here, regardless if he got an extension or not this offseason. What's that saying? A coach loses support of 10% of the fanbase every season? CPJ has been here 10 seasons now. He's done FANTASTIC things for this program, and he's definitely going to leave this program better than when he came in. Unfortunately, the college landscape has changed a lot since 2007, and in a lot of ways those changes are not a fit for CPJ at GT.

Stansbury is doing A LOT to support this program, and I think he's doing the right thing to make this job attractive when CPJ's time is up. No coach can come in here and say Stansbury doesn't support the football program, or GT isn't willing to step up and spend money, and I think that is going to be key for the next guy. In many ways, we can thank CPJ for the changes on the horizon, and it may be unfortunate that he won't be around for them.

The head coach matters less to me than the GT on the helmet and "Georgia Tech" on the jersey. Coaches come and go. I'll always support the players, and enjoy watching guys develop over their careers. The success of CPJ and GT are tied together, so obviously I want both to do well. I just think it's time for someone else to carry the fire and bring a new message.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Im going to be completely open and honest:

Im over CPJ. I don't mean that in a negative way. I like him, and i think he means well, and i really think he cares for the players. IMO, there comes a time when a coach's message and style just gets stale. It's starting to remind me a lot of Bobby Cremins last years. Remember, Cremins left for South Carolina, but had second thoughts and came immediately back. It just was never the same after that. Cremins held on for 7 more seasons, but only made the NCAA tournament one time. What happened this offseason with CPJ? Let's not forget, despite his denials, he pursued the Tennessee opening. I think CPJ knows he's probably at the end of the line here, regardless if he got an extension or not this offseason. What's that saying? A coach loses support of 10% of the fanbase every season? CPJ has been here 10 seasons now. He's done FANTASTIC things for this program, and he's definitely going to leave this program better than when he came in. Unfortunately, the college landscape has changed a lot since 2007, and in a lot of ways those changes are not a fit for CPJ at GT.

Stansbury is doing A LOT to support this program, and I think he's doing the right thing to make this job attractive when CPJ's time is up. No coach can come in here and say Stansbury doesn't support the football program, or GT isn't willing to step up and spend money, and I think that is going to be key for the next guy. In many ways, we can thank CPJ for the changes on the horizon, and it may be unfortunate that he won't be around for them.

The head coach matters less to me than the GT on the helmet and "Georgia Tech" on the jersey. Coaches come and go. I'll always support the players, and enjoy watching guys develop over their careers. The success of CPJ and GT are tied together, so obviously I want both to do well. I just think it's time for someone else to carry the fire and bring a new message.

I am still hoping CPJ can turn it around and have more successful years, but that was a reasonable post and I can’t really disagree with much of any of it (Except the part about him really going for the Tennessee job. think that was just his agent fishing around the time of his last contract extension.)

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I am still hoping CPJ can turn it around and have more successful years, but that was a reasonable post and I can’t really disagree with much of any of it (Except the part about him really going for the Tennessee job. think that was just his agent fishing around the time of his last contract extension.)
Tennessee would never have hired Paul Johnson. A triple option offense head coach was a non-starter from the very beginning. They would have hired WSU head coach Mike Leach before they would have hired Paul Johnson.

Tennessee would never have hired Paul Johnson. A triple option offense head coach was a non-starter from the very beginning. They would have hired WSU head coach Mike Leach before they would have hired Paul Johnson.

yep. no reputable P5 program will be running our offense - it's too limiting and frankly, boring. Programs that routinely put 70,000+ fans in the stadium each week don't want to see a bunch of B-back dives. The factories have to sell tickets and CPJ's offense doesn't do that very well.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
yep. no reputable P5 program will be running our offense - it's too limiting and frankly, boring. Programs that routinely put 70,000+ fans in the stadium each week don't want to see a bunch of B-back dives. The factories have to sell tickets and CPJ's offense doesn't do that very well.
That’s funny, nobody thought it was boring in ‘14. With the right players, it’s as exciting as any offense.