Man, USF REALLY took it out of me

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The 64 million dollar question that we will never know the answer to....if Bama ran it, would they go down hill over time because the system is NOT attractive to the talent that wants to play at Bama? Or would they still be Bama in spite of the sytem. We all know the offense can be effective... But are there real downsides to it as well(recruiting, having good defenses, etc.) I am starting to believe that is that case at our school. And I oubt we will ever see this experiment replicated at Clemson, Bama, OSU, etc. to ever truly answer these bigger questions.
My answer: If Bama ran it, they would be successful and kids would want to go there still. Hell, it would probably be a requirement to run it at Alabama high schools. We are not Bama. Us running it means that all the ugag fans can point and call us a high school offense etc... and make it real uncool in the state of GA. That would not happen to Bama. That would not happen to ugag if they were the ones running CPJ's option offense and we were not. It has become a detriment to us because of who we are.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
My answer: If Bama ran it, they would be successful and kids would want to go there still.

Lou Holtz on the option: "I think it's one word: recruiting," says Lou Holtz, who ran option football at five stops in his college coaching career, including with his Notre Dame national champion in 1988. "Once alumni started treating recruiting like it was a season in itself, it became very difficult to run the option. All of a sudden, [if you were an option team,] you couldn't get the dominant quarterback, because you weren't going to throw the football and get him ready for the NFL. You couldn't get the dominant left tackle, because you weren't going to teach him to pass-block. You couldn't get the dominant running back, because he wasn't going to be featured enough. Now, you can still win with the option even if you don't get those people, but if you're not getting those top recruits, the alumni start to think you're losing and you're not exciting enough."