Man, USF REALLY took it out of me

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I love college football, I like GT, and I enjoy rooting the team on, but man, last week was as disheartening to me as any game I can remember that didn't involve UVa.

Like, the kicking issues, the defensive issues, the inability to recruit/keep/avoid the injury bug on even a mediocre passer.

I really thought maybe this year would be different. I thought "FINALLY, an attacking defense that won't get bled dry down the stretch", and FINALLY ONE DAGGONE KID whose high school tape didn't look like a DB playing QB, and maybe a kicker without a bum groin and not named Butker. FINALLY, an OL that isn't a patchwork quilt of walkons and underclassmen.

But nope, LJ can't stay healthy.
Nope, TQM still looks like a DB throwing the ball.
Nope, Oliver is apparently (somehow) even worse.
Nope, the defense got run through down the stretch.
Nope, multiple kick returns for touchdowns.
Nope, EVERY offensive lineman is somehow hurt in the 2nd game of the season (how is that even possible? Do we just run around dropping anvils on or OL's feet during practice all year long?)

I can't even bring myself to get up about Pitt.

It sucks.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I love college football, I like GT, and I enjoy rooting the team on, but man, last week was as disheartening to me as any game I can remember that didn't involve UVa.

Like, the kicking issues, the defensive issues, the inability to recruit/keep/avoid the injury bug on even a mediocre passer.

I really thought maybe this year would be different. I thought "FINALLY, an attacking defense that won't get bled dry down the stretch", and FINALLY ONE DAGGONE KID whose high school tape didn't look like a DB playing QB, and maybe a kicker without a bum groin and not named Butker. FINALLY, an OL that isn't a patchwork quilt of walkons and underclassmen.

Nope, EVERY offensive lineman is somehow hurt in the 2nd game of the season (how is that even possible? Do we just run around dropping anvils on or OL's feet during practice all year long?)

It sucks.
I find that drinking helps give it a try.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Eh, it's Thursday. I'm over USF and on to Pitt already. The season is young, and anything can still happen.

Guys, guys, be gentle. Remember @ilovetheoption a recovering sabre-rattler. He's still in the process of developing that steely resolve you need to be a Tech fan.

ilove, I suggest you step away from the Zima for a while. It ok. Don't be cry.

Fc9elLu.gif

On a serious note, I've had a little steam let out of my balloon but like buzzz said, it's Thursday. I'll be oiled up and ready by Friday nite, baybee!!!

ETA:
my-body-is-ready1.gif

jayparr

Helluva Engineer

It sucks.
If you read my former post about the razor's edge then you should now understand what I was refering to. With our talent level we can win or loose by the flip of a coin. Every single game could be win or loose by the ball bouncing off helmet, missed points in any way.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

It sucks.
Me too.

My problem is I now see the ceiling for this team and program as 7 wins these days and can not convince myself that we can compete with the Georgias and Clemsons on our schedule

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
After week 2 I feel much better about TM throwing the ball but fear what could happen if he does down with a serious injury. TO is working with a very limited playbook.

I don't think there were any additional OL injuries and we are getting Cooper back for Pitt.

I concur with your frustrations on Defense & ST.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I hear ya. The worst part is we feel like this and the loss probably doesn't affect the outcome of our season at all. I think last year took more out of us than we thought. To me, last year was probably the most miserable year I've ever witness out of our team under CPJ and to see things carry through to the start of this year is a giant kick to the face. Let's just get to 1-0 in conference and find some things to be positive about.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I hear ya. The worst part is we feel like this and the loss probably doesn't affect the outcome of our season at all. I think last year took more out of us than we thought. To me, last year was probably the most miserable year I've ever witness out of our team under CPJ and to see things carry through to the start of this year is a giant kick to the face. Let's just get to 1-0 in conference and find some things to be positive about.

Jeff, I agree. I hesitate to label a game "must win" but given the recent history of the program and the way we have managed to lose, I think the program desperately needs this win. We (the fan base) need to believe somehow that the USF game was a "one off" event.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member

It sucks.
I'm with you, it totally deflated my passion for the season as well. Just, crap. Offense was really good though, but special teams were the worst, like, ever so it doesn't matter. OMG, that fumble!!!!?? And, then the stinkin' holding call!!?? Defense, I can understand because of the reallllllly horrible refs kicking GT guys out of the game for just playing football while USF players I guess don't actually wear helmets and so they can tackle however they want, plus the whole newness of the system there's going to be growing pains. I enjoyed the pressure and disguised coverages in the 1st half. The only thing I disagree with you completely on here is TQM. I thought he looked very good throwing the ball and really took charge of the offense and just willed himself to make plays in the clutch. I LOVED his game (except the 1 bad throw to Camp on the smoke) Saturday. I'm pretty much back up again now, and the team could reel me back in completely with a good performance or two. Beat Clemson somehow and everybody's back on the wagon.

It's good to see you so emotionally invested, btw - that's true fandom, even if it's not fully admitted.

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Yep....I'm down as well. I think the way those games went last year, just slipping away at the end, really hurt us. The way the 4th quarter went down against USF was some bad deja vu. It was as if I survived a bomb blast and a year later heard a car backfire.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I'm with you, it totally deflated my passion for the season as well. Just, crap. Offense was really good though, but special teams were the worst, like, ever so it doesn't matter. OMG, that fumble!!!!?? And, then the stinkin' holding call!!?? Defense, I can understand because of the reallllllly horrible refs kicking GT guys out of the game for just playing football while USF players I guess don't actually wear helmets and so they can tackle however they want, plus the whole newness of the system there's going to be growing pains. I enjoyed the pressure and disguised coverages in the 1st half. The only thing I disagree with you completely on here is TQM. I thought he looked very good throwing the ball and really took charge of the offense and just willed himself to make plays in the clutch. I LOVED his game (except the 1 bad throw to Camp on the smoke) Saturday. I'm pretty much back up again now, and the team could reel me back in completely with a good performance or two. Beat Clemson somehow and everybody's back on the wagon.

It's good to see you so emotionally invested, btw - that's true fandom, even if it's not fully admitted.
Beat Clemson (hell, even give clemson a game) and I'll be back. Until then, I'm just blah.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I'm just dishearten by our defense. I know its going to take a couple of years to get it right, but I just went overboard in believing. The days of tough defense is starting to dwindle from my memory.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
One thing that’s helping me feel less bad is looking at USF’s QB. He wasn’t some scrub who couldn’t get a better offer out of high school; he was at Bama and Arizona for a bit. While Bama may not be a school known for developing QBs, they don’t take scrubs. I imagine McCarron or Hurts or Tua would have wreaked havoc on our defense too, even without the Bama supporting cast.