Man, USF REALLY took it out of me

Techster

Helluva Engineer
"Saban kept getting beat by spread teams"...? You reference 2 games in a decade he struggled against, and insinuate it was because of their scheme? Well by-golly gosh, that's his kryptonite apparently. Let's just all do that and beat him every Saturday. Oh wait...that doesn't happen.

LOL. I should have said, most of his very few losses came from spread teams.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Well we've got to move on at some point. There will come a day that CPJ is not our coach (probably soon) and i believe Tstan is the guy to hire a great coach. He will get the finances for a great coach.

Okay, I get where you’re coming from and that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
LOL. I should have said, most of his very few losses came from spread teams.

For the record, Saban himself has said a lot of very complimentary things about the triple option over the years, including this after they played Georgia Southern...

While discussing this Saturday's game against Charleston Southern, Saban referenced a 2011 game against Georgia Southern that set the Internet on fire this week.

"I don't think we had a guy on that field that didn't play in the NFL and about four or five of them were first-round draft picks," Saban said. "And I think that team won a national championship, but I'm not sure.

"And they ran through our *** like s*** through a tin horn, man. And we could not stop them. Could not stop them. Could not stop them because we could not get a look in practice. We couldn't practice it right? And everybody said the same thing in that game. Y'all took a week off. This wasn't important, so it's not important to anybody else. It has to be important to the players and it has to be important to us.

Alabama won the game 42-21 and went on to win the national championship that year, but gave up 302 rushing yards to Georgia Southern. Alabama finished the season allowing only 72.2 rushing yards per game.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl...sf/2015/11/georgia_southern_selling_tinho.amp

LibertyTurns

Banned
No of course not. It's the people that defend CPJ no matter what. That's the problem
Maybe the other half of the problem is all the people that hate CPJ no matter what? Perhaps we could all be GT football fans? You know the type that root for the Team to do well, not fail so they can achieve their agenda of garnering a regime change. We could cheer for the players to do well & not castigate them on a nameless message board.

I’ve seen the clamoring for Womack to be fired then the clamoring for Womack to come back. We got Groh who was going to run a pro style D only to find out we can’t run a pro style D whatever that means. We hire Roof. Some cheered & some jeered. We fire Roof & some cheered & some jeered. Yeah we got a Woody. Crap, we can’t run the Woody scheme. Maybe he hasn’t had time to get his players in? You know the ones we have don’t have enough talent or yes they do they’re just not well coached?

We’re 2 games into the season. It’s not amazing who came out of the woodwork after game 2. You were all waiting all off-season for the first loss so you could take your pot shots.

I sat next to a guy at the USF game who bitched incessantly about the TO despite the fact we had 38 points early in the 4th quarter. He was telling us all the TO couldn’t work. I finally had to ask him “what game are you freaking watching”? Why did he even go to the game if he wanted the TO to fail? Do people get some perverse pleasure out of rooting for our players to fail?

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Maybe the other half of the problem is all the people that hate CPJ no matter what? Perhaps we could all be GT football fans? You know the type that root for the Team to do well, not fail so they can achieve their agenda of garnering a regime change. We could cheer for the players to do well & not castigate them on a nameless message board.

I’ve seen the clamoring for Womack to be fired then the clamoring for Womack to come back. We got Groh who was going to run a pro style D only to find out we can’t run a pro style D whatever that means. We hire Roof. Some cheered & some jeered. We fire Roof & some cheered & some jeered. Yeah we got a Woody. Crap, we can’t run the Woody scheme. Maybe he hasn’t had time to get his players in? You know the ones we have don’t have enough talent or yes they do they’re just not well coached?

We’re 2 games into the season. It’s not amazing who came out of the woodwork after game 2. You were all waiting all off-season for the first loss so you could take your pot shots.

I sat next to a guy at the USF game who bitched incessantly about the TO despite the fact we had 38 points early in the 4th quarter. He was telling us all the TO couldn’t work. I finally had to ask him “what game are you freaking watching”? Why did he even go to the game if he wanted the TO to fail? Do people get some perverse pleasure out of rooting for our players to fail?

Good post. I honestly think a lot of folks don’t like watching the TO, successful or not. To me, when we have healthy players and our block timing is right, there is nothing more wonderful to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
No of course not. It's the people that defend CPJ no matter what. That's the problem
It's only a problem if you let it be a problem, right? The people on this board don't call the shots, so how can fans that support CPJ no matter what have any say if/when the AD decides to make a change? I get that you don't like CPJ. You've made that clear.

I'm a tech fan first and foremost, and I believe that you are too. I've been a fan since the early 70's. I've suffered through some really bad years and enjoyed the hell out of some good years too. The disturbing pattern that I've witnessed has been coaches that have used success at GT to take a bigger/better job. For me that started with BC - who jumped to Bama after turning around some dreadful seasons and finally leading us to an All American Bowl victory. One of our own, and now he's dead to me. Ross to the NFL and GOL to ND. The coach whose name shall not be spoken is the only one that I felt we couldn't get rid of quick enough. I supported CCG. But again, it's always been more about supporting GT and the men who wear the white and gold than any coach. CPJ is the first coach to show me that this is where he wants to be, so I appreciate his loyalty. There will come a day when someone else will take the reigns and I will support them too.

I guess my problem is that I can't figure out how to support our program without also supporting the head coach. I'm not saying he's perfect, but I support the team unconditionally. I want more years like 2014 and if the stars align, another 1990 would be awesome. The landscape has change significantly since then though. But another 2014 is definitely within our grasp with the current staff.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Bama is a pro style offense. They like to stay balanced but they will run down your throat all night if they can, because they usually can.
Broad definition of pro style offense then. But I agree that if people say it, and the formation looks like it, and a few plays actually are pro style, then some high school kids might be more attracted to that. Just like people saying Tech runs a triple option offense is also misleading but may lead some high school kids to not be attracted to Tech.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Broad definition of pro style offense then. But I agree that if people say it, and the formation looks like it, and a few plays actually are pro style, then some high school kids might be more attracted to that. Just like people saying Tech runs a triple option offense is also misleading but may lead some high school kids to not be attracted to Tech.

Isn’t Bama playing West Coast? That’s the hole reason to hire Kiffin.

I think I have an answer, but you probably won't like it.

Fan bases at the factory schools do not want a run-based offense. They want to run an offense closer to what is seen in the NFL, generally, so they can recruit NFL level talent. The NFL is a pass heavy league. We cannot recruit that level of talent generally, so just as the Academies, we need something different. We are a STEM school, just like the Academies. We are not a normal college with lots of liberal arts options.

We've had success without this archaic, pass-hating offense and we'll have it again with a new offense.

We aren't recruiting for this offense worth a damn either. After CPJ's best season - 2014 - the best WR he could recruit is Brad Stewart and the best QB he got was ultimately a converted running back in TaQuon. I'm sure both are exemplary student athletes but neither are starting at their positions almost anywhere else in America.

A conversion to a more-modern offense would automatically generate more interest in some talented kids that are currently not considering us at all.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I like the TO. But ... we suck at recruiting for it, coaching it, or developiing players for it.

The 64 million dollar question that we will never know the answer to....if Bama ran it, would they go down hill over time because the system is NOT attractive to the talent that wants to play at Bama? Or would they still be Bama in spite of the sytem. We all know the offense can be effective... But are there real downsides to it as well(recruiting, having good defenses, etc.) I am starting to believe that is that case at our school. And I oubt we will ever see this experiment replicated at Clemson, Bama, OSU, etc. to ever truly answer these bigger questions.