Man, USF REALLY took it out of me

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
I understand the feeling, even from among long time CPJ supporters, of getting worn down and, after 2014, more often dismayed than not. I do, as I am also one who is far more pro- than anti-CPJ. Oh, I was there in Tampa last week to witness the fourth-quarter collapse, the gut-punch experience was visceral. I get it.

But, not to compare CPJ to Dodd in all respects, but merely as a sober historical reminder, I looked at this. After considerable national success for most of his first 12 years at Tech, seasons 13-16 were an era of mediocrity for Dodd and Tech football: A record of 20-18-3. Yes, even the sainted Dodd went through a down period in the middle of his illustrious head coaching career. Yet, Dodd closed out his final six seasons with a 44-18-2 record.

Absent a complete team breakdown this season, and little or no defensive improvement through next season, I've decided to kick back. Keep rooting for the guys, hope (not without reason) for better, and step back from the forums for a few days when the bear gets us instead of us getting the bear. Take a deep breath or ten, have some perspective. A downward trend is not set in stone, but if things don't start trending better in 2019, Tech now has a football-savvy AD who will do whatever needs to be done after the 2019 season -- a season in which the defense should become better, and Benson will be back with two seasoned B-back reserves.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
The last time I checked, CPJ has not missed a single block, threw a single interception, fumbled the ball once, shanked a single punt or missed a single tackle while he has been at Tech. What he has done, however, is to put us in a position to be competitive, and to win, when our MEN execute his game plan and play fundamentally-sound football. Yes, our players are MEN. At their age, they can drive cars, enter into contracts and operate big machines in the military that blow up stuff and kill people. Our players know they have to accept responsibility, as all men have to do. It would be great if CPJ had the resources and support of The Hill (read, money, majors, facilities) to recruit loads of top quality players, but we all know the issues there. CPJ has had to make lemonade with bruised lemons. He is the same coach who won the Orange Bowl. All he needs to do that again is to have the men on THIS team to execute and play the kind of football we think they can play.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
All he needs to do that again is to have the men on THIS team to execute and play the kind of football we think they can play.

Fair enough. And I like CPJ. But isn’t that the point? He’s a good coach, but he lacks consistency in execution. After 10 years, one would think we’d be stable. Just my two ...

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
The last time I checked, CPJ has not missed a single block, threw a single interception, fumbled the ball once, shanked a single punt or missed a single tackle while he has been at Tech. What he has done, however, is to put us in a position to be competitive, and to win, when our MEN execute his game plan and play fundamentally-sound football. Yes, our players are MEN. At their age, they can drive cars, enter into contracts and operate big machines in the military that blow up stuff and kill people. Our players know they have to accept responsibility, as all men have to do. It would be great if CPJ had the resources and support of The Hill (read, money, majors, facilities) to recruit loads of top quality players, but we all know the issues there. CPJ has had to make lemonade with bruised lemons. He is the same coach who won the Orange Bowl. All he needs to do that again is to have the men on THIS team to execute and play the kind of football we think they can play.
I just threw up reading that. You're part of the reason we won't ever have the guts as a program to fire him

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I just threw up reading that. You're part of the reason we won't ever have the guts as a program to fire him

Not trying to start a feud but what makes you think things will get better if CPJ is fired? Things may get better but they could get worse. As bad as things sometimes are, there is plenty of room for decadence. In the short term, I would say things would definitely not get any better. CPJ has been recruiting for his offense and most replacement coaches would not run the same offense. Do you think our current offensive players would do any better in a different offense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Not trying to start a feud but what makes you think things will get better if CPJ is fired? Things may get better but they could get worse. As bad as things sometimes are, there is plenty of room for decadence. In the short term, I would say things would definitely not get any better. CPJ has been recruiting for his offense and most replacement coaches would not run the same offense. Do you think our current offensive players would do any better in a different offense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well we've got to move on at some point. There will come a day that CPJ is not our coach (probably soon) and i believe Tstan is the guy to hire a great coach. He will get the finances for a great coach.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Fair enough. And I like CPJ. But isn’t that the point? He’s a good coach, but he lacks consistency in execution. After 10 years, one would think we’d be stable. Just my two ...
PJ is a good coach but he is not continuing to evolve his offense. Refs allow holding most of the time which is advantageous to the passing game. The changes in cut blocking don't help either. If he would run a spread option on occasion and pass a little more he might actually attract more highly rated QB's and linemen. He obviously has never been that interested in the D or ST based on 10 years of evidence and some of the things he said recently about letting his assistants do their thing. He is a great offensive mind for what he does but he isn't getting athletes into his system that can be one dimensional on offense by choice and compete at the highest levels of D-1. I want him to succeed but he may be his own worst enemy. Saban can be a grouch and gruff with the press but he wins national championships.

That’s funny, nobody thought it was boring in ‘14. With the right players, it’s as exciting as any offense.

and yet absolutely no other program ran out to adapt our offensive scheme into theirs.

Football is all about imitation of what works best to win football games....so why is no one outside the they've-always-done-that service academies imitating us?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
and yet absolutely no other program ran out to adapt our offensive scheme into theirs.

Football is all about imitation of what works best to win football games....so why is no one outside the they've-always-done-that service academies imitating us?

I think I have an answer, but you probably won't like it.

Fan bases at the factory schools do not want a run-based offense. They want to run an offense closer to what is seen in the NFL, generally, so they can recruit NFL level talent. The NFL is a pass heavy league. We cannot recruit that level of talent generally, so just as the Academies, we need something different. We are a STEM school, just like the Academies. We are not a normal college with lots of liberal arts options.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Fan bases at the factory schools do not want a run-based offense. They want to run an offense closer to what is seen in the NFL, generally, so they can recruit NFL level talent. The NFL is a pass heavy league. We cannot recruit that level of talent generally, so just as the Academies, we need something different. We are a STEM school, just like the Academies. We are not a normal college with lots of liberal arts options.
Only exception to your statement, to me, has to do with teams like Alabama. They really do not run a pro style offense. They are basically a run first offense. But they do get pro quality players.

Milwaukee

Banned
Only exception to your statement, to me, has to do with teams like Alabama. They really do not run a pro style offense. They are basically a run first offense. But they do get pro quality players.

Bama is a pro style offense. They like to stay balanced but they will run down your throat all night if they can, because they usually can.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

I have a better reason, because only a very limited number of coaches have the expertise to run it. Auburn tried to hire CPJ a few years ago, to no avail. Another reason is it's seen as a gimmick offense by the unwashed masses and they hold major sway over the decisions of AD's.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Bama is a pro style offense. They like to stay balanced but they will run down your throat all night if they can, because they usually can.

What do you consider "pro style"?!

Bama hasn't been a pure "pro style" offense since before Lane Kiffen was their OC. Saban kept getting beat by spread teams (see: TAMU & Ole Miss games) and finally realized: If those guys can compete against my 5 star players with guys that are probably a tier lower, imagine if I started incorporating those concepts with MY 5 star players!

Bama is running RPO, spread, power read, pistol, etc. They were once a haven for drop back statue passers, but now Saban puts an emphasis on dual threat QBs. (Ironically, Blake Barnett transferred in large part because of dual threat Jalen Hurts...and eventually ended up at USF. We know what happened after that....).

There are not many "pure" anything teams right now. Most offenses in college these days run a bit of everything. Maybe in the NFL where coaches are resistant to change, but even in the NFL the next wave of OCs are embracing the myriad of concepts that come from college. One of the few "pure" teams left is GT. If you want to consider our offense a hybrid of the veer and Run and Shoot, there's an argument to be made, but the reality is CPJ's passing concepts and philosophy hasn't really changed since...Hawaii?

Going back to the NFL...here are some plays that will make you salivate. Anyone recognize some flex with a slight wrinke?

Milwaukee

Banned
"Saban kept getting beat by spread teams"...? You reference 2 games in a decade he struggled against, and insinuate it was because of their scheme? Well by-golly gosh, that's his kryptonite apparently. Let's just all do that and beat him every Saturday. Oh wait...that doesn't happen.