Louisville Postgame

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Our coaches suck... That's all
Mistakes were not all made by the coaches. FGs getting blocked are rare for us. So the coaching held up in the other FG attempts. The lateral was done by a veteran QB who has not done that to my knowledge in his previous 18 games. So was the coaching perfect, no. But execution is not always 100% on the coaches. Now that being said, trying different things on 3rd and 4th and short are badly needed.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Our running game is not our strength this year. Losing Dontae Smith hurt bc he was solid and Haynes can’t solely carry the load. Defenses are stacking the box bc they know we want to run the ball which is baffling why we insist running up the middle. But we have weapons and should use them in the passing game. Boyd, Singleton, Rutherford, and others. The coaching needs to get better.

Darthdad

Georgia Tech Fan
At some point teams must realize , you go under center for 1 damn yard.
Back during the 1990 season, my friends and I used to joke that Stefan Scotton was Mr. Consistent (a compliment). He was always good for a guaranteed 2-3 yards on a play no matter what. He wasn't going to break one loose for a big gain but if you had 3rd and 2 or 4th and 1, just give it to him and he's basically guaranteed to get you that first down. On 3rd and Goal from the 1, just give it to Scotton.

On a serious note though, I've heard plenty of times over the years commentators in both college and NFL note that every team needs a play that is guaranteed to get you 1-2 yards.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
On a serious note though, I've heard plenty of times over the years commentators in both college and NFL note that every team needs a play that is guaranteed to get you 1-2 yards.
Vince Lombardi had the Power Sweep. I recall reading that they would practice that one play over and over and over and over so that it was a lock. It became the Packers signature play so much so that during one season, they averaged 8.3 yards per carry. This when everyone and their mother KNEW they were going to run it.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When RS fielded that punt over his shoulder running backwards towards the EZ, I screamed "what are you doing??!!" at the TV. As soon as he was tackled, I turned to my friend and said "that play is going to cost us". Look, everything in sports is easier said than done. I understand that when a punt is kicked that far and you have to run backwards it's easy to lose where you are on the field. Warning tracks in baseball exist for a reason. It's too bad there isn't one on the 10 YDL. I would love to have seen us make it a non-issue by running positive plays from the get go. There is no rule that says you can't. However, when you run every play from pistol or deep snap, starting from the 5 is a huge deal. It emboldens defenses to take chances because they have a ton of field behind them and the opposition is starting the play in safety territory. It places enormous pressure on every offensive player, especially the QB. HK has been really good with his decisions so far this year. That was his worst to date. But, once again, things happen really fast on the field (while I am sitting on my couch eating snacks, obeying our school fight song in the way of liquid diet, and second guessing everything) especially at that position. He was under extreme duress and just reacted. If you slow the film down and watch the play develop from the booth, if he just floated the ball with air 5 yards down the field and gave a squatting MR a chance to run forward to it, he would still be running. If it fell to the ground, it's incomplete, no harm no foul. In my mind, this was the sequence that altered the course of the game and made it un uphill battle the rest of the way. It was easily preventable. Every 4th down decision and every play call gets tougher on offense when you are playing from behind.

In truth, I am really encouraged by the way we played. Third down defense was much much improved. We got them off the field a lot. I would rather we give up a couple huge plays, like we did, than allowing a huge number of conversions and an endless moving of the chains. 17 points allowed is a really good showing against a team like that. We took one phase away from them (the run game) for the most part, made them one dimensional, and got their QB off his spot with regularity. While moving his feet he wasn't that really imposing. It was a really good game plan and I give the coaches a lot of credit.

Besides the fateful series from paragraph 1, I was generally pleased with the offense for how they produced. They did a good job of taking what the defense gave them. It looked to me like L'ville made up their mind to blow up our run game and take whatever damage they would endure through the air. All this is well and good, but a team needs to have something it can go to in the run game when the field compresses. Obviously, that is an area for us to focus on over the break. There has been contention in this thread surrounding going under center or not. I am of the opinion that EVERY TEAM in the country needs to be able to go under center at certain points of a game. The pistol formation is great, for a lot of reasons, but it does create a 4 yard deficit from the start and gives the defense the luxury of time to react and potentially penetrate. Additionally, as far as play calling in short yardage, I would like to see a speed option play and or a load option with someone like a motioning TE lead the play outside the box, from the pistol. Adding this to the mix will make defenses have to respect and defend sideline to sideline. Our players have the skill set to do this. I would also like to see a package like this for ZP. I really like HK as a runner and think we are lucky to have him, even in goal to go situations, but ZP to my eye is a tad more physical runner who is adept at getting the tough yards.

In closing, this was a tough loss to swallow. It's looks to me like we should beat this team a majority of times if we were to play that many. We just didn't get it done. For sure, we are not a powerhouse football team ready to steamroll the landscape, but we are a good and developing team who is capable of beating anybody. I really look forward to rest of the season.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
The thing that really stinks is that if the ball had gotten to Rutherford he most likely would have scored. There was NO ONE on that side of the field for Louisville. Would have been a foot race and I’ll take #8 every day of the week and twice on Saturday.
not sure why he didn't throw that pass sooner, while he was more under control. that play was there, but barreling into the line first wasn't the move. at that point, just have to eat it.

this game was a break down all over the place. big plays yielded in the passing game, our inability to run, dumb turnover, really bad special teams, dumb play calling. just bad all the way around. anyone saying we were the better team is fooling themselves. that wasn't even close.

that said, it has been a grind til now. we need a little rest to regear.

Backstreetbuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Need to spend part of the week learning to run a formation under center for short yardage situations. 3rd and 1, Anything and 1 from the goalie, 1st and 10 from inside your own 3.
I don’t know about under center. Hardly anybody does that anymore, whether it is peewee, high school, college or pro. If we tried CPJ’s system we would look like the Spring game his first year.

However, I would love to see an option package from the shotgun. Maybe have Pyron practice up on it.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
The final score was 31-19. It wasn't really a nail biter.
Gotta make plays in nitty gritty time and we couldn’t get it done when we were in position. The Syracuse game bothers me more than the Louisville game because I was expecting the Louisville game to be an uphill battle but we still had a chance. Beat Duke and get back on track baby and all is good.

Darthdad

Georgia Tech Fan
You are living in ancient times. The vast majority of College QBs did not take snaps under center in HS anymore. Unless teams practice plays they will struggle with the timing and execution for those plays.

It is probably worth it for GT to work on taking snaps from under center, however, that is a real commitment to time and effort. It is NOT something that can be done on a whim!
Serious questions: when did the trend really take off against snaps under center, and just how hard is it to go back under center? I've noticed the trend but, never having played myself, don't know the difficulty presented with center snaps v. shotgun. As a fan I just figured teams practice both and use either one as a situation required but that coaches simply choose not to go under center as much as in the past.

Not the best analogy but I remember (through the fog of time) that some offensive linemen used to be versatile enough to play more than one position during their career, especially if a guy got injured. Heck, Bruce Matthews played every OL position at some point during his career but he's arguably the G.O.A.T., so not the best example. At some point though we got to where OL positions are so specialized that you can't easily move guys around.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
The OL might’ve played a role in the loss but it still falls squarely on the coaching staff. If the OL hasn’t been able to open up a hole all game, why would you continue to run the ball over and over again? I think that’s what frustrates me the most about this game, our inability to adapt.
not sure why we wouldn't try some play action thing there, when they are all crashing the middle, or a fake and an end around to the fastest guy in college football, or basically anything besides hitting a wall and taking a knee. UofL put everyone there, and the line was outnumbered. Any fake off that might've at least eased the pressure up there a bit.

Darthdad

Georgia Tech Fan
Vince Lombardi had the Power Sweep. I recall reading that they would practice that one play over and over and over and over so that it was a lock. It became the Packers signature play so much so that during one season, they averaged 8.3 yards per carry. This when everyone and their mother KNEW they were going to run it.
Yep. Packers could run it with impunity and dare other teams to stop them. They couldn't. Side note: if you get a chance, go to the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame. Even if you're not a Packers fan it's fun for fans.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ ran the ball right into the teeth of defenses with a scrawny little OL or so the story goes. Everybody knew we were running. The QB was under center not 4-5 yds behind the LOS. We weren't 100%, but if we were 3rd & less than 3 it had to be north of 90%. Then again those scrawy OL were tough as nails and when the ball got snapped the D was gonna get hit.
yeah, we never lost games under CPJ. 14-0 every year was great stuff.

or maybe you have revisionist memory. regardless, that was years and years ago, and is no longer relevant.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
The OL might’ve played a role in the loss but it still falls squarely on the coaching staff. If the OL hasn’t been able to open up a hole all game, why would you continue to run the ball over and over again? I think that’s what frustrates me the most about this game, our inability to adapt.
yes. Why keep doing it but you have to have confidence that your online can push people around. That’s why they’re on the field. Yesterday wasn’t the first game they’ve looked weak.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
yeah, we never lost games under CPJ. 14-0 every year was great stuff.

or maybe you have revisionist memory. regardless, that was years and years ago, and is no longer relevant.
I was talking about the ability to get short yardage first downs. It's line up under center, fire off the line and get that yard. Dancing around in the backfield does not work well and the data shows it. There's a reason Tom Brady did it, I'd say he probably won more games than he lost & I hate Brady but the QB sneak is unquestionably a successful short yardage play.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
They will continue to shut it down until we do something else. This was my biggest beef from yesterday. Stopped on two critical 4th and 1’s. Unacceptable.
I didn't see the game but I saw the stats later.As soon as our saw our rushing totals ,esp Haynes, I knew fundamentally how we lost.We couldn't run,enough --for whatever reason---again. Syr game replay.Until we fix that this ,it means we have to play a perfect game in other aspects--STs,TOs ,penalties,coaches decisions, etc. Good luck with that.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t know about under center. Hardly anybody does that anymore, whether it is peewee, high school, college or pro. If we tried CPJ’s system we would look like the Spring game his first year.

However, I would love to see an option package from the shotgun. Maybe have Pyron practice up on it.
Only talking about 8-9 play options under center. 5-6 running plays, couple of play action plays and a designed fade route (assuming we have a receiver tall enough to complete this play).

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
The game was determined by big plays. Both teams could not establish a run game with Louisville averaging just 2.1 yards per attempt and Gt just 2.6.

It was a team loss as all three phases gave up pivotal big plays.

I get trying to establish the run game and grind down the opposition. I understand trying to get into the 4th quarter in a close game and ram-it down a gassed defense. I get it.

But for that to work your team has to stay close where the run game is relevant.

It almost feels like our coach wants to be down a touchdown in the 4th quarter. It feels like CBK has two vehicles in is garage: a Ferrari and a Hummer, and that he prefers to drive the Hummer regardless of the car he is racing.

Run. The. Bawl? This is better: Read. The. Room.

Playing a smashmouth game against a team gunning for big plays creates a very narrow margin of success, requiring immaculate football. That doesn't seem realistic to me.