Louisville Postgame

Eli

Helluva Engineer
My main question is why have we completely abandoned the stretch zone? Last year we ran it as centerpiece to our run game. Stretch zone allows Jamal to be the one cut back he is while also neutralizing the d-line by making them run latterly instead of pinning their ears back and attacking on every play. I think I counted one time we ran it yesterday and it went for 17 yards. Faulkner has failed in this aspect. Our run game is about as complex as a high school football team now..

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I’m sorry, but under center snaps is football 101. If we have to devote practice time for this, we’ve got bigger problems. Practicing 2 minute drills and goal line sets is fine, but these dudes have been playing ball for a long time… get under center, snap the ball, and get a yard.
You are living in ancient times. The vast majority of College QBs did not take snaps under center in HS anymore. Unless teams practice plays they will struggle with the timing and execution for those plays.

It is probably worth it for GT to work on taking snaps from under center, however, that is a real commitment to time and effort. It is NOT something that can be done on a whim!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Yeah i know what backward passes are. My point was that it was tipped by a player that was in front of King. So how could he have been throwing it backwards? I know where the receiver was, but I think he was throwing it to the open space upfield in front of him.
The defender's hands were not closer to the LOS than where King's hand released the ball. It was a close play for sure but the replay was not conclusive either way! Unfortunately the ball only went about 5 feet at most from King's hand before it was batted. That made it impossible to tell if it would have gone forward as most passes actually do when a QB is moving forward simply due to the momentum of the QB!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The schedule looks pretty good for us but I can’t emphasize how bad we need to beat Duke. Beat Duke and this team will win 8 games this year. ND is definitely beatable imo.
Right now we are a 5-6 win team. We need to get a lot better in every aspect of football! The Bye week is essential to fix the many issues the team currently has!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Don't be so optimistic Root. That's not like you.
What have you seen to make you believe we can win more than 5-6 games? UGA and Miami are far better than we are currently. Mark them as losses. That leaves 5 games. we need to win 4 of the 5 to get more than 6 wins. That is a big ask with how we are playing this year! Sure it's possible but highly unlikely!

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck
After having slept on it, I'm more disappointed in the play calling than anything else.

The defense held UL to 17 points. We held them to 63 rushing yards (2.6 yds/carry). We had some busted coverages that Santucci fixed in the second half. The defense played much better than the score suggests. Zero sacks again - but overall the D kept us in this game. We got stops when we had to have them.

The big standout to me was our inability to capitalize on the big momentum shifts that we created. This has been a theme for us this year.

The offense was WAY too conservative. Buster called a terrible game...period. The timing of the play calls was awful. The inside zone was completely shut down - but we kept trying it. The passing game was the only way we could move the ball. The only positive for the offense was that we allowed zero sacks. Very disappointed with the offensive play-calling and the lack of push from our OL. I grossly over-estimated our OL's ability to blow the defense off the LOS...

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I am disappointed in our OL, our play calling, our lack of toughness, and our complete inability to create any havoc on defense. We gave that game away. (We will be lucky to win win five games)
I agree with all but the last. I have no idea how many games we can win. We are watching our staff grow along with the players. Maturity in performance across the board could surprise us, (or not). Which feels a lot like a .500 team.

Last edited:

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Buster called a terrible game...period. The timing of the play calls was awful. The inside zone was completely shut down - but we kept trying it. The passing game was the only way we could move the ball. The only positive for the offense was that we allowed zero sacks. Very disappointed with the offensive play-calling and the lack of push from our OL. I grossly over-estimated our OL's ability to blow the defense off the LOS...
I agree with this. I think if we throw the ball every down we win the game by at least 10 even with spotting them the points off turnovers. We had the passes open all game. We constantly had receivers in position. Maybe were scared of throwing an INT but at this point who cares. I would have rather thrown every time and added another turnover because we still would have won.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
The passing game was the only way we could move the ball. The only positive for the offense was that we allowed zero sacks. Very disappointed with the offensive play-calling and the lack of push from our OL.
Somebody posted the same yesterday. The lack of sacks is mostly due to Haynes' legs, not control of the LOS.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
After having slept on it, I'm more disappointed in the play calling than anything else.

The defense held UL to 17 points. We held them to 63 rushing yards (2.6 yds/carry). We had some busted coverages that Santucci fixed in the second half. The defense played much better than the score suggests. Zero sacks again - but overall the D kept us in this game. We got stops when we had to have them.

The big standout to me was our inability to capitalize on the big momentum shifts that we created. This has been a theme for us this year.

The offense was WAY too conservative. Buster called a terrible game...period. The timing of the play calls was awful. The inside zone was completely shut down - but we kept trying it. The passing game was the only way we could move the ball. The only positive for the offense was that we allowed zero sacks. Very disappointed with the offensive play-calling and the lack of push from our OL. I grossly over-estimated our OL's ability to blow the defense off the LOS...
They will continue to shut it down until we do something else. This was my biggest beef from yesterday. Stopped on two critical 4th and 1’s. Unacceptable.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Ha Ha . Lot's of great coaches here. You all should apply to Batt. I'm sure you would make flawless decisions and play calls. Look at all your experience 2nd guessing . LOL .
AUFC and I both offered our expertise at half time. Coach sent us for beer and hot dogs and we never heard back from him before the second half..... Disappointing.... but the dogs were good.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
What have you seen to make you believe we can win more than 5-6 games? UGA and Miami are far better than we are currently. Mark them as losses. That leaves 5 games. we need to win 4 of the 5 to get more than 6 wins. That is a big ask with how we are playing this year! Sure it's possible but highly unlikely!
I was commenting on your optimism that we would win 5 games. That's wildly optimistic for you. LOL.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
There are some off base assessments of some of our position groups.

Our O line is ok, but they can’t win when it’s 5 against 6. The coaching staff is putting them in bad situations right now - especially on 2nd/3rd and short.

The D still has issues. But it’s INCREIDBLY improved. If we were producing on O at the level we were at the end of last year everyone would be singing praises for how well the defense is playing.
^^^^^
This.
Yesterday L'ville scored 14 points on our offense. I see tremendous improvement in our defense holding them to 17 points. Granted it is not pretty and still needs lot of improvement on pass defense but bashing our D and Santucci in his first year is uncalled for.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this. I think if we throw the ball every down we win the game by at least 10 even with spotting them the points off turnovers. We had the passes open all game. We constantly had receivers in position. Maybe were scared of throwing an INT but at this point who cares. I would have rather thrown every time and added another turnover because we still would have won.
And we have some great receivers. Really, Singleton and Rutherford both catch most everything they can get a hand on, and hang on to it, too. Tight ends are weapons to. Need to use them more often.