Louisville Postgame

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
You are right based on what we have seen so far but 57 is correct in that UNC, North Carolina State, and Virginia Tech are not anywhere near what pundits thought they could be. Gee, all this time, I thought for sure Mack Brown had found his savior on defense with Mr. 404 but giving up 70 yesterday to JMU has shifted my thinking.
Rumors flying that Mack said he would retire in the locker room. I highly doubt he will as he is too proud to leave. He will want to go out on a winning note. When GT is listed as one of his toughest games left this season what does that say for his schedule. He can't have many more seasons left at his age.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
Well, here is one plan B. If teams insist upon moving safeties up with a near 8 man front then have Singleton and Rutherford do quick slants or short posts that will move those safeties back in a hurry. Of course the line and the tight ends have to block. I mean really block which they show little signs of doing. If the line doesn't block there is no "Plan B"
Yeah I’d like to have seen stuff like that yesterday in the second half.

I could see us blowing games against UNC or Duke if we refuse to try.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Jackson Caudell"s article on Louisville game. Article includes PFF Grades for the team. Offensive Line scores in low 60s and mid 50s.

For College Football O line grades in the 50s are considered BELOW AVERAGE. Only Franklin was above 60 and he graded at 62. The OL was the major issue yesterday!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
You are right based on what we have seen so far but 57 is correct in that UNC, North Carolina State, and Virginia Tech are not anywhere near what pundits thought they could be. Gee, all this time, I thought for sure Mack Brown had found his savior on defense with Mr. 404 but giving up 70 yesterday to JMU has shifted my thinking.
Those teams are struggling at qb but the coaches do watch film. Their D will do what Syracuse and Louisville have done to stop us. Even TFG can copy other coaches. We need to make some changes. We ran counters against fsu. Not sure I saw those yesterday.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps you have not watched the Eagles and their tush push play the past couple of years.
And what other team in the 32 team league is able to do what the Eagles do with the Tush Push. Oh right that would be zero other teams. There are reasons only the Eagles rune it routinely successfully!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Herschel wasn't bouncing anything outside against an 8 man front with guys as fast as him. He wasn't going anywhere. I was posting about what I saw from Louisville.
Then throw the darn ball to loosen it up. Take what they give you. Absolute Neanderthal football when we were being stuffed all day. No imagination at all in the red zone. Maybe we are tipping off our plays somehow. Guess the coaches figured they deserved to win if we couldn't get one or two yards when we needed it.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
You are living in ancient times. The vast majority of College QBs did not take snaps under center in HS anymore. Unless teams practice plays they will struggle with the timing and execution for those plays.

It is probably worth it for GT to work on taking snaps from under center, however, that is a real commitment to time and effort. It is NOT something that can be done on a whim!
How are you supposed to do a QB sneak without under center? Baffling.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
not sure why we wouldn't try some play action thing there, when they are all crashing the middle, or a fake and an end around to the fastest guy in college football, or basically anything besides hitting a wall and taking a knee. UofL put everyone there, and the line was outnumbered. Any fake off that might've at least eased the pressure up there a bit.
Our end around runs aren’t fooling anyone anymore. Haynes King faking a pass dropback and then running kills and opens things up

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
And what other team in the 32 team league is able to do what the Eagles do with the Tush Push. Oh right that would be zero other teams. There are reasons only the Eagles rune it routinely successfully!
You are one out of the box thinker ...... Why don't we have it your way and keep getting our *** handed to us on 3rd and short. I am sure you have gone through all of the play by play and done your homework though :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
You are one out of the box thinker ...... Why don't we have it your way and keep getting our *** handed to us on 3rd and short. I am sure you have gone through all of the play by play and done your homework though :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
If you keep up I said we should practice under center. But hay read what you want

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Lol. No one even tries it. That’s the problem. QB sneaks have worked since the beginning as long as you have a QB that really wants to get the yard.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
It was more than two busted plays.
You got to be able to convert fourth and a football. We didn't. Twice.
Of course, we dominated ToP. That's what happens when you give up bombs and get kicks blocked for TD returns.
Could have won?
Yes.
Should have won?
Probably not.
This team really isn't that good. Defense is still very questionable. And the offense didn't get it done when it needed to.
We got the outcome we deserved. Louisville didn't do the kinds of things that teams do when they wind up being their own worst enemy. We did. And that falls on coaching to a large

Then throw the darn ball to loosen it up. Take what they give you. Absolute Neanderthal football when we were being stuffed all day. No imagination at all in the red zone. Maybe we are tipping off our plays somehow. Guess the coaches figured they deserved to win if we couldn't get one or two yards when we needed it.
Maybe there is a mole in our locker room.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Maybe there is a mole in our locker room.
meet GIF

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Rumors flying that Mack said he would retire in the locker room. I highly doubt he will as he is too proud to leave. He will want to go out on a winning note. When GT is listed as one of his toughest games left this season what does that say for his schedule. He can't have many more seasons left at his age

This article might interest you and others. Mack has backed off his earlier comments. He will be back at work. I see no mention of TFG in this article.

Last edited:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT is now 0-7 when King throws more than 30 times in a game.
Having King throw the ball alot is not a winning strategy.
He's our best offensive player by a mile, but he is not good enough to carry the team on his back.

For whatever reason the offensive line is not playing anywhere near as well as last season, which is killing our running game. We also lack any big RB's that can carry players and any receivers that can be 'jump ball' guys. We have to rely on scheming to get openings.
The OL has proven it is not capable of controlling the line of scrimmage so continuing to run right into the line on short yardage situations is just poor (and possibly stubborn) game calling by the coaching staff. If you are determined to do that then bring Zach in under center and run. King has been a better passer than last season but he also tends to be late and sometimes behind in his throws. He has a good not great arm so he really has to wind up on deep throws which tends to make them late and behind. How the pass got through to Singleton i'll never know - L'ville has 2 players in great position to defend it but it managed to get through - great catch by Singleton.

On defense, the run defense is greatly improved, but the pass defense is a mess. This is a largely an issue with the lack of talent in the front 7. The DL gets no push on pass plays - we lack even one above average pass rusher. There is not a single DL that the opposing offense really has to scheme against. Our LB's are fantastic in run support but a liability in pass defense and opposing OC's have figured that out and are abusing them in pass D. Also, this is one of the worst defenses i've ever seen in terms of Havoc plays. Excluding the VMI game, the defense has 2 sacks and 2 fumble recoveries, 0 INT's on the season. Opposing QB's largely know they are going to have time to throw. GT's defense has also allowed 8 conversions on 11 fourth down attempts.

Special teams has an issue with FG kicking. GT is just 3-7 on FG's and just 1 made FG of over 40 yards (1-5 overall I believe). I believe Birr has also missed every field goal attempt from the right hash. He seems to start right and it never comes back. If the ball is on the right hash i'd rather go for it than attempt a FG.

Before the season I thought this was probably a 6-7 win team. I'm still feeling that, though probably leaning more toward 6-6. 5-7 to 7-5 is where I expect this team to end up.

I don't see a team that has made any significant step forward to this point this season. There are some things it is doing better than last year but just as many things it is doing worse. Pretty much a wash.

The coaching staff desperately wants this to be a smash mouth running team, but it simply is not that and if they don't adjust then there are plenty of losses left on the schedule.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Lol. No one even tries it. That’s the problem. QB sneaks have worked since the beginning as long as you have a QB that really wants to get the yard.
Actually other teams do use it starting after the Eagles success. None are as close to the Eagles success rate.

Again if we want to use the QB sneak or WB under center we need to commit the practice time to those concepts.

Under our current coaching staff we have not made that commitment.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
A problem no one addresses is that millionaire coaches are slow to change because of the ”fraternity” mindset. Remember, in the back of their mind they are always thinking about their next job interview unless they are confident in their own skin and have the star power to do whatever they want, ala Saban, Spurrier types. Johnson could have had a great ending to his career if he simply tweaked his system but he was stubborn. The tush push is EASILY incorporated to any system. For GT, if you don’t want to burden King then simply use Pyron and put 2 backup TE’s as dual halfbacks. Heck, bring in a different Center i you are worried about practice reps. You can simply have a center, a QB, and 2 big boys as a special teams unit for that play like we have a long snapper and punter special team. What Philly has proven is that coaches are stupid. Pyron and Hurts are the same size although Pyron has a couple inches on him. The key to the tush push is the push. We did it several times in a different version in the UCF game where the OLine pushed Jamal over the first down line. I’d much rather take my chances on 4th and 6 inches with Pyron and 2 hosses pushing him than seeing King in the shotgun flanked by Jamal.