Louisville Postgame

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
On the blocked FG it was a very high snap that caused the holder to have a problem getting the ball placed RAND that threw the timing for Birr off.

The “backwards pass” simply means it was not a “firward” pass. King was running forward and the receiver was a yard or two behind him. The defender had penetrated into the backfield. Once it was called a fumble and not a pass on the field the video reviews were not going to change the call. Just a dumb play by King.
The thing that really stinks is that if the ball had gotten to Rutherford he most likely would have scored. There was NO ONE on that side of the field for Louisville. Would have been a foot race and I’ll take #8 every day of the week and twice on Saturday.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't be so optimistic Root. That's not like you.
We have 3 wins already and I see 3 most likely 4 wins on the remaining schedule. The bowl game can give us 8 wins. It was 2 close tough losses that we had a chance to win just didn’t make enough plays. The Syracuse game is the bummer. Beat ND and I see 5 wins on the remaining schedule and we have them at home.

Last edited:

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
We have 3 wins already and I see 3 most likely 4 wins on the remaining schedule. The bowl game can give us 8 wins. It was 2 close tough losses that we had a chance to win just didn’t make enough plays. The Syracuse game is the bummer. Beat ND and I see 5 wins on the remaining schedule and we have them at home.
The final score was 31-19. It wasn't really a nail biter.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I haven't read all the threads on here so I may be duplicating so I apologize.
My impression is Buster is doing what the HC wants to do and as someone previously said we're not Saban and AL, at least not yet, so we need to look at who we are and let Buster build our offense and play calling around who we are. Imposing our will on the foe when we ain't got the folks to do so is going to be failure in the W/L column.
Also, it appears to me that Haynes King does not throw the crossing route well, I've always thought that may be one of the tougher throws to make.
I put this one on the HC until I sense otherwise. I've always had a problem with folks doing things that they're not capable of doing and maybe this team is doing just that, build our offense and play calling around what we have and are capable of doing.
Have we stopped throwing certain things because of past interception problems, I don't know just asking the question?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I was commenting on your optimism that we would win 5 games. That's wildly optimistic for you. LOL.
We are not a bad team. We are not a good team. We are an average team. Average teams are impossible to predict how well or poor they will perform any given week.

We have several very good players, just not enough along either Line. The guys on both lines are again average college players. Smoke games they play really well others they play poorly. Often somewhere in between.

On Defense we lack the one dominant DL that would really change the whole defense.

Haynes seems to me to be dinged up a goid bit. I am not seeing his usual jump cuts now. Hopefully a week off will help. Maybe I am seeing things on that.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Good article by Ken Sugiura. As the title indicates, GT lost two winnable games due to errors and as Coach Key was quoted as saying, "sloppy play". Ken does point out that there is scant hope to win the ACC, but if we can win all of the last 5 Conference games there is a chance. Ken feels like GT has a shot against Miami if Tech plays like GT Can.

This is a good article if you able to read it.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I haven't read all the threads on here so I may be duplicating so I apologize.
My impression is Buster is doing what the HC wants to do and as someone previously said we're not Saban and AL, at least not yet, so we need to look at who we are and let Buster build our offense and play calling around who we are. Imposing our will on the foe when we ain't got the folks to do so is going to be failure in the W/L column.
Also, it appears to me that Haynes King does not throw the crossing route well, I've always thought that may be one of the tougher throws to make.
I put this one on the HC until I sense otherwise. I've always had a problem with folks doing things that they're not capable of doing and maybe this team is doing just that, build our offense and play calling around what we have and are capable of doing.
Have we stopped throwing certain things because of past interception problems, I don't know just asking the question?
It appeared Louisville was in some sort of zone defense. Crossing routes are tough against zones. Seam routes work better and having guys find the soft spot in the zone.

I agree crossing routes or really any route where King has to lead the receiver war his weakest points as a passer.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
This was the worst coaching I've seen since Geoff left. We have no identity on offense, hence why the decisions to go for it on 4th down were so inconsistent. We knew the defense was going to struggle, but the real problem is the OL has regressed and the play calling has been stubborn, predictable and uncreative. The game management was awful. After questionable game managing against Syracuse and now today, I no longer trust Key. We seem to have some serious issues that are only getting worse.
The big question to me is who is making the calls on the 3rd and 4th down and short on offense. If Faulkner in charge or is Key telling him to run the ball. Not sure. But clearly our ability to get a yard when we need it is very suspect. I think a lack of a big back hurts. We have had in the past big backs who could get yards after contact. I am not sure we have that type of Running Back now. Yes it would be helpful if the OL would get some push and open up holes. But sometimes you need the stud who can make a yard after contact.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Need to spend part of the week learning to run a formation under center for short yardage situations. 3rd and 1, Anything and 1 from the goalie, 1st and 10 from inside your own 3.
Yep, and let Pyron practice a special package and let him run it inside our own 3 and inside their 2, in my opinion.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Need to spend part of the week learning to run a formation under center for short yardage situations. 3rd and 1, Anything and 1 from the goalie, 1st and 10 from inside your own 3.
CPJ ran the ball right into the teeth of defenses with a scrawny little OL or so the story goes. Everybody knew we were running. The QB was under center not 4-5 yds behind the LOS. We weren't 100%, but if we were 3rd & less than 3 it had to be north of 90%. Then again those scrawy OL were tough as nails and when the ball got snapped the D was gonna get hit.

sonngy

Georgia Tech Fan
If the OL pushed people around when it counted the play calling for middle runs wouldn’t be questioned. They pushed no one around. Without a doubt the OL was responsible for that loss.
The OL might’ve played a role in the loss but it still falls squarely on the coaching staff. If the OL hasn’t been able to open up a hole all game, why would you continue to run the ball over and over again? I think that’s what frustrates me the most about this game, our inability to adapt.