Louisville Postgame

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The game was determined by big plays. Both teams could not establish a run game with Louisville averaging just 2.1 yards per attempt and Gt just 2.6.

It was a team loss as all three phases gave up pivotal big plays.

I get trying to establish the run game and grind down the opposition. I understand trying to get into the 4th quarter in a close game and ram-it down a gassed defense. I get it.

But for that to work your team has to stay close where the run game is relevant.

It almost feels like our coach wants to be down a touchdown in the 4th quarter. It feels like CBK has two vehicles in is garage: a Ferrari and a Hummer, and that he prefers to drive the Hummer regardless of the car he is racing.

Run. The. Bawl? This is better: Read. The. Room.

Playing a smashmouth game against a team gunning for big plays creates a very narrow margin of success, requiring immaculate football. That doesn't seem realistic to me.
Yep. We need to run. There are many different ways. We need to pass vertically, too. Running little Jamaal Haynes into an 8-man front over and over reminds me of Bill Curry running little Corey Collier over and over against those fronts back in the mid-80’s. I dunno.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
When RS fielded that punt over his shoulder running backwards towards the EZ, I screamed "what are you doing??!!" at the TV. As soon as he was tackled, I turned to my friend and said "that play is going to cost us". Look, everything in sports is easier said than done. I understand that when a punt is kicked that far and you have to run backwards it's easy to lose where you are on the field. Warning tracks in baseball exist for a reason. It's too bad there isn't one on the 10 YDL. I would love to have seen us make it a non-issue by running positive plays from the get go. There is no rule that says you can't. However, when you run every play from pistol or deep snap, starting from the 5 is a huge deal. It emboldens defenses to take chances because they have a ton of field behind them and the opposition is starting the play in safety territory. It places enormous pressure on every offensive player, especially the QB. HK has been really good with his decisions so far this year. That was his worst to date. But, once again, things happen really fast on the field (while I am sitting on my couch eating snacks, obeying our school fight song in the way of liquid diet, and second guessing everything) especially at that position. He was under extreme duress and just reacted. If you slow the film down and watch the play develop from the booth, if he just floated the ball with air 5 yards down the field and gave a squatting MR a chance to run forward to it, he would still be running. If it fell to the ground, it's incomplete, no harm no foul. In my mind, this was the sequence that altered the course of the game and made it un uphill battle the rest of the way. It was easily preventable. Every 4th down decision and every play call gets tougher on offense when you are playing from behind.

In truth, I am really encouraged by the way we played. Third down defense was much much improved. We got them off the field a lot. I would rather we give up a couple huge plays, like we did, than allowing a huge number of conversions and an endless moving of the chains. 17 points allowed is a really good showing against a team like that. We took one phase away from them (the run game) for the most part, made them one dimensional, and got their QB off his spot with regularity. While moving his feet he wasn't that really imposing. It was a really good game plan and I give the coaches a lot of credit.

Besides the fateful series from paragraph 1, I was generally pleased with the offense for how they produced. They did a good job of taking what the defense gave them. It looked to me like L'ville made up their mind to blow up our run game and take whatever damage they would endure through the air. All this is well and good, but a team needs to have something it can go to in the run game when the field compresses. Obviously, that is an area for us to focus on over the break. There has been contention in this thread surrounding going under center or not. I am of the opinion that EVERY TEAM in the country needs to be able to go under center at certain points of a game. The pistol formation is great, for a lot of reasons, but it does create a 4 yard deficit from the start and gives the defense the luxury of time to react and potentially penetrate. Additionally, as far as play calling in short yardage, I would like to see a speed option play and or a load option with someone like a motioning TE lead the play outside the box, from the pistol. Adding this to the mix will make defenses have to respect and defend sideline to sideline. Our players have the skill set to do this. I would also like to see a package like this for ZP. I really like HK as a runner and think we are lucky to have him, even in goal to go situations, but ZP to my eye is a tad more physical runner who is adept at getting the tough yards.

In closing, this was a tough loss to swallow. It's looks to me like we should beat this team a majority of times if we were to play that many. We just didn't get it done. For sure, we are not a powerhouse football team ready to steamroll the landscape, but we are a good and developing team who is capable of beating anybody. I really look forward to rest of the season.
yep, RS came VERY close to losing the fsu game for us by fielding a punt on our 10 with a guy screaming down .1 yd away.How he lost his lost his judgement again goes on the coaches. Having a brave but foolish punt returner is a bad idea.You are going to lose a lot more than you win.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
I was talking about the ability to get short yardage first downs. It's line up under center, fire off the line and get that yard. Dancing around in the backfield does not work well and the data shows it. There's a reason Tom Brady did it, I'd say he probably won more games than he lost & I hate Brady but the QB sneak is unquestionably a successful short yardage play.
Key said it's a priority this week ( or 2) to prioritize solving the short yardage problem. He thought we should have made it as run.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with Buzztheirazz. Everyone has been saying what a boneheaded play King made with the lateral. Seems to me the only thing boneheaded about it was he failed to look down the line before releasing the ball. Like Buzz, I didn't see anything but green in front of the receiver. In fact, the defender who put his hands up might have won the game for the Cards. I definitely want to see that play again, but with King looking for defenders before throwing the ball.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I couldn't watch the game since I was at a performance by my son's band. He's an attorney, but his soul is with his music and I hate to miss a performance. Instead I had the live feed on and was dismayed twice by what I was seeing. But …

• God, I hate turnovers that result in tds. That was the difference in the game. I don't blame King for the lateral; it's just too bad that it was near the end zone and no Jacket could fall on it. That's the breaks and I can live with it. There is no excuse for a blocked field goal, however. That does happen but it should never happen. I don't know about our special teams; they tear up the game against Syracuse then fail at Louisville. That can't continue.

• Everything else worked ok. King had a great game. Our run attack failed, but so did theirs. That has to be addressed in the off week. The D played ok and did what they had to for us to win. And, except for two junk tds, we would have. Louisville is not - repeat not - a better team then Tech.

• One thing that is encouraging is that the schedule does not appear as difficult let going forward as was anticipated. The path to 7 wins is still there: Duke (they haven't played a decent team yet), UNC, VT, and NCSt all appear less formidable then would have been predicted. Notre Dame, da U, and Ugag are tough outs, but we might win unexpectedly against one of them; you never can tell.

I'm glad we are getting a week off. The team and the coaches need it. Next Puke.

Last edited:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Not even remotely. Louisville will 100% be in that game. As much as I still think we should've been able to block them, that D line is legit and they are a very well coached team. I'm guessing a +5.5-ish line and I think they'll cover.
Don't care if they are 120%. Notre Dame is going to eat them alive. They are not all that great. Top 25 is nice but there is a huge chasm between wannabes like Syracuse and Louisville and the football factories.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Somebody up thread disparagingly said we are maybe a top 50 team. Well, 2 years ago we were about 130th. Don’t even try to argue that we weren’t. Perspective.
That was me. My perspective is regardless of the ranking, right now we are a bad football team especially on both lines. Put it this way, Tech at the end of last year would have run both Louisville and Syracuse right off the field, but now? We are floundering with the very real possibility of winning only 5 or 6.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Physical - our OL was pushed backwards on most of our running plays. Their DL simply beat up our OL. King rarely gets sacked but much of that is on his ability to move around in and out of the pocket/lack of same.

Yes we are much better than the Former Guys teams. We are playing like an average ACC team right now. WE can compete with most teams but really can't dominate any of the ACC teams currently.

A Bye week will be good for the team! 3-2 at this point was the best record I expected we would have with 3 conference games, two were true road games and the 3rd was in Ireland even though it was a home game.

The ACC is it's typical sef, are there any really good teams?
Yes, unfortunately we play two of them Miami and Notre Dame (are they in the ACC or not?) Miami is the real deal. Notre Dame is Notre Dame talented but prone to sleepwalk some games.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Kicking the field goal at all was extremely questionable. Taking a field goal on 4th and 1 and then going for it on 4th and 3 is strange to say the least. Even aside from some of those things, I don't understand our clock management. At the end of the first half we got the ball with 1:56 on the clock. By third down there was 1:03 left on the clock. We burned another 30 seconds on the next few plays leaving us with 32 seconds left before the half and we hadn't crossed mid field. King and Singleton bailed us out on a long completion but that was straight up awful 2 minute execution. Fast forward to the second half, they get the field goal block and TD. We are down 12 with 7 minutes left. Our guys are just taking their sweet time on every play. Even if we score on that drive, they only need 1-2 first downs to ice the game. Then the game ends with a running into the kicker penalty. We don't look like a well coached team in general.
That pass just before the half was a thing of beauty. King is a dangerous quarterback given any time but especially with a receiver like Singleton. Think about this. A DB cannot afford a false step with that guy or Rutherford. They are by you in a blink. The problem is the offensive line is pretty bad. Seldom did King have time to go through progressions or survey the field. IIWII Accolades to Singleton for catching that pass knowing he was going to be sandwiched between two guys just looking to decapitate him. I was impressed with Rutherford on that challenge to his catch. On the sidelines, he kept saying "It was a catch". These boys want the ball and come to play. I sometimes wonder about the rest of the team.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Ha Ha . Lot's of great coaches here. You all should apply to Batt. I'm sure you would make flawless decisions and play calls. Look at all your experience 2nd guessing . LOL .
It doesn't take a "great coach" to see the differences between this team and the one at the end of last year. Like night and day. So obvious, Stevie Wonder could see it.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It seemed like every time Jamal got the ball from deep in the backfield there were three guys waiting on him. Herschel in his prime would be going nowhere in that situation.
Herschel was so big and fast he could bounce it outside if he didn't have a hole. Our guys are fast but not so big.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
What have you seen to make you believe we can win more than 5-6 games? UGA and Miami are far better than we are currently. Mark them as losses. That leaves 5 games. we need to win 4 of the 5 to get more than 6 wins. That is a big ask with how we are playing this year! Sure it's possible but highly unlikely!
You are right based on what we have seen so far but 57 is correct in that UNC, North Carolina State, and Virginia Tech are not anywhere near what pundits thought they could be. Gee, all this time, I thought for sure Mack Brown had found his savior on defense with Mr. 404 but giving up 70 yesterday to JMU has shifted my thinking.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
It’s hard to predict a win total because we COULD win several more but we’ve also shown the ability to stubbornly take ourselves out of games that could be winnable.

If Key is committed to “improving the run game” and it doesn’t happen, what’s plan B?

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I was worried about the running back room with the loss of Dontae Smith. He had the ability to bounce things outside and find yards. Even last year it wasn’t til the second half of season when he got playing time that the running game was really good. We have to go to the passing game more this year. Teams are stacking the box daring us to run. Faulkner needs to work with what he has and make better calls. We have talent on offense. It just needs to be used correctly.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It’s hard to predict a win total because we COULD win several more but we’ve also shown the ability to stubbornly take ourselves out of games that could be winnable.

If Key is committed to “improving the run game” and it doesn’t happen, what’s plan B?
Well, here is one plan B. If teams insist upon moving safeties up with a near 8 man front then have Singleton and Rutherford do quick slants or short posts that will move those safeties back in a hurry. Of course the line and the tight ends have to block. I mean really block which they show little signs of doing. If the line doesn't block there is no "Plan B"