Louisville Post Game

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
One thing I will have to eat some crow from last year. Patenaude really does seem to try to call plays that play to our players strength. I was not a fan last year. But I really can’t complaint with any of his games called this year. Even the losses. Of course there are plays here and there but that is well every coach. I really have hope he will continues to be able to develops Sims.

I tried to tell you last season lol

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Louisville is pretty bad offensively, and for us to give up so many yards, TOP, first downs, and especially to alllow them to be above 50% on 3rd down coversions is embarrassing. And does NOT bode well for the rest of this season.

Offense much better than last year. Defense is not.

Our defense is no better than last year and I'm disappointed in the play of the secondary. From my point of view, we're doing a better job rushing, but it's mostly late in games and we are horrible at zone coverage, our safeties are several steps too slow in coverage, and our LBs are worthless against the pass. If we manage to hang close, though, they do seem to be well conditioned. It's been like that for 10 years, though, so iiwii.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Louisville is pretty bad offensively, and for us to give up so many yards, TOP, first downs, and especially to alllow them to be above 50% on 3rd down coversions is embarrassing. And does NOT bode well for the rest of this season.

Offense much better than last year. Defense is not.
Huh? Louisville has a good offense. Real good.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
I will say, this game looked wayyyy more impressive than the past 3 games. We cleaned up our Offense and made some great mid-game adjustments. I was sweatin in the student section watching the first half and seeing them run all over us. But in the 2nd half we tightened up our Defense and stopped the run game. Kudos to Thacker for adjusting and making good calls.

Another great point. Turnovers. +3. But not only plus 3, we had 0. ZERO. Count em up, 0. and we converted on their mistakes. 19 points, the difference in scores. This is what playing efficiently looks like.

Final point. Penalties, this looked like a much more disciplined team. Less false starts and questionable penalties on our D and O. I will say I think that Roughing the Passer was a pansy call imo. But still, we looked way more professional, I can't tell if it was bc we are at home or bc the coaching staff worked it in these past two weeks, but I don't care. It was CLEAN.

Game Ball on Offense: Jahmyr Gibbs, the man carried the team on his back when needed. Jeff Sims had a good game, but Gibbs was great on catches and running.

Game Ball on Defense: Honestly the whole D earned a win this game. It was a great team effort and I can't single out a guy who is more deserving than another. They all played their hearts out and gave it their all in the 2nd half to make this game winnable.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Final point. Penalties, this looked like a much more disciplined team. Less false starts and questionable penalties on our D and O. I will say I think that Roughing the Passer was a pansy call imo.
100% this! Great coaching and making our team more disciplined. Also, that "roughing the passer" call was absolute BS! My stepdad, who is a Notre Dame fan, saw it and had to rewind it to show me (I was in the bathroom) because it was such a crap call. He couldn't believe it, he said it was up there with the UCF game as far as bad officiating. If that was roughing the passer then we shouldn't be allowed to touch QBs.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
On the Simms to Carter score to ice it I was screaming because we snapped the ball with 18 on the play clock while we were in chew clock mode.
I was too in real time but now I’m wondering if that helped make the play. You know the defense was expecting us to let the clock run down so might have been a step slow to react. Would like to know if it was on purpose or whether Jeff forgot the clock.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
We will have 1, 2, 3, and 4 punch including Simms! ;)(y)

In chat I was pounding the table for Sims to run the ball more in the first half. Cunningham was breaking our defenses backs with his runs in conversion situations and I felt Sims' abilities to do the same were being neglected.

Maybe Patenaude was setting that up in the first half or maybe it was an adjustment he made. Whatever the case it seemed to put a ton of pressure on Louisville's defense in the second half. It also gave Sims some confidence/settled him down. Sims has a great lateral cut and makes guys miss routinely in the open field (perhaps exploiting defenders who figure they are going to unload on the QB).

Big game by Malachai Carter. Impressive running with the football after the catch. He is a good reciever. Adonicas Sanders had a critical play as well, getting separation and turning on the jets. These guys with Camp and Brown are emerging as a pretty solid group of receivers.

Also would be remiss not to mention GT's opening possession where Collins called the fake punt. What a call. I was totally sitting back waiting for Harvin to boom one and got completely caught with my pants down. As did Louisville! I thought our STs played very well. We gave up one punt return and one kick off return. XPs/FG continue to be an adventure. However BJS fumble force/recovery was huge, several KO's went through the end zone, and it was great to see the fantastic stop on KO return Jerry Howard and Co. made in crunch time to pin Louisville on its 15. Great ST game by Howard.

This is the first game in awhile I can remember where overall we were the winner on ST's.

Someone said above we don't win without Gibbs. Yes he is special and will only get better. But so many guys really came on and made the win possible. Jordan Domineck went off in the second half in a big way. Not just rushing but several times against the run I saw him move right down the line to close off lanes/make plays against the run. Someone said Currry chewed him out and after that he played like a man posessed. Don't know if it's true or when it happened but pretty cool if true.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Swilling didn’t get his name called one time and that’s how you know he was locking it down. Still The gaps at LB show when we get attacked over the middle cause DBs are locking up, overall was happy to see that Pass Rush come alive finally in 2nd half. Offense is the Offense, they’ve produced all year and finally didn’t shoot self’s in the foot and you see the score.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Clayton is gonna be a problem...for the other team. He's quickly shaking off the rust of being sidelined for 2 years, but you can see why he was considered a 5 star at one time. Even when he wasn't making the play, he was causing problems for blockers and causing havoc in the backfield.

Jordan Domineck with another impactful game at DE. Domineck + Clayton are gonna be a nice pass rushing duo at DE for us. 3 Sacks (AC 2, JD 1) from both of them. Keep in mind, Cunningham was not easy to get to...that guy is quick and fast. We probably have more sacks if it was most QBs. I can count another handful of times we should have put Cunningham in the dirt behind the LOS.

Defense held steady in the 4th quarter, but overall it wasn't a pretty game from them. Gave up 400+ yards, but the BIG difference in this game is they created turnovers and our offense capitalized off them. 3 fumbles recovered from the D.

LB is still a problem...they got picked on quite few times. Need more speed here, unfortunately, we got what we got this year.

DB play on contested balls was better, but still too many lapses in coverage.

Jeff Sims wasn't particularly accurate this game, but he made some big time throws, and some big time runs. On the Carter TD, Sims flicked his wrist as he had defenders in his face...that's the kind of talent he has. You can see how high his ceiling is if he eliminates the mental errors...which he will as he gets more experience. Best thing he did all game: NO TURNOVERS.

Speaking of no turnovers, our offense had no fumbles or interceptions. Tells you how much better of a team we actually are when we don't cut off our own legs.

Gibbs...just another game where he catches passes, makes some great runs, and scores TDs. 15 offensive touches, 120 total yards, and 2 TDs.

Get Dontae Smith the ball more! That guy just makes something happen when he has the ball.

Jalen Camp is turning into a really good possession receiver for us. Low key impactful plays and catches.

Special teams...still special.

Nice win, and nice to hit 40+ points. Hopefully that breaks the glass ceiling for us in terms of points. We're definitely gonna need it against Clemson.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Huh? Louisville has a good offense. Real good.
They are 43rd in total and scoring offense in the country. They are pretty average. Their RB is good but honestly I think we were making the QB look a little better than he actually is. That guy had a hundred yards passing, 3 yards rushing, and 3 INTs against Pitt.

Rozier24

Georgia Tech Fan
I will say the same thing I would have said if we lost by 21, trust the process. This team improves every week. Yes there will continue to be bumps in the road and we will have another Syracuse or two this year, but we are starting to see the future more regularly. From Miami, to FSU, to tonight we see where we are going and we get closer every day.

it will likely be 2022 before we are truly a legitimate ACC+ contender but look out, we are on the way!