Louisville Post Game

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Good team game, still some weird correctable lapses in run fits that luckily didn't cost us. 3rd and long still feels like GT Defense 3rd and Long though aka... damnit.

we definitely need more perimeter running with these running backs. And I did see one missed read on an RPO (he shoudl have gave it to gibbs when there was no one near him for 8 yards rather than pull it) But Sims definitely used the bye week well. We are completing passes at a low rate. As long as its big chunks of play action and deep balls its fine though.

Lets keep it close vs clemson if we can do that we have a good shot at a bowl this year.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Clayton is gonna be a problem...for the other team. He's quickly shaking off the rust of being sidelined for 2 years, but you can see why he was considered a 5 star at one time. Even when he wasn't making the play, he was causing problems for blockers and causing havoc in the backfield.

Jordan Domineck with another impactful game at DE. Domineck + Clayton are gonna be a nice pass rushing duo at DE for us. 3 Sacks (AC 2, JD 1) from both of them. Keep in mind, Cunningham was not easy to get to...that guy is quick and fast. We probably have more sacks if it was most QBs. I can count another handful of times we should have put Cunningham in the dirt behind the LOS.

Defense held steady in the 4th quarter, but overall it wasn't a pretty game from them. Gave up 400+ yards, but the BIG difference in this game is they created turnovers and our offense capitalized off them. 3 fumbles recovered from the D.

LB is still a problem...they got picked on quite few times. Need more speed here, unfortunately, we got what we got this year.

DB play on contested balls was better, but still too many lapses in coverage.

Jeff Sims wasn't particularly accurate this game, but he made some big time throws, and some big time runs. On the Carter TD, Sims flicked his wrist as he had defenders in his face...that's the kind of talent he has. You can see how high his ceiling is if he eliminates the mental errors...which he will as he gets more experience. Best thing he did all game: NO TURNOVERS.

Speaking of no turnovers, our offense had no fumbles or interceptions. Tells you how much better of a team we actually are when we don't cut off our own legs.

Gibbs...just another game where he catches passes, makes some great runs, and scores TDs. 15 offensive touches, 120 total yards, and 2 TDs.

Get Dontae Smith the ball more! That guy just makes something happen when he has the ball.

Jalen Camp is turning into a really good possession receiver for us. Low key impactful plays and catches.

Special teams...still special.

Nice win, and nice to hit 40+ points. Hopefully that breaks the glass ceiling for us in terms of points. We're definitely gonna need it against Clemson.
Dontae is good at finding the holes and hitting them fast. He should be situational. I still like him a lot.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
They are 43rd in total and scoring offense in the country. They are pretty average. Their RB is good but honestly I think we were making the QB look a little better than he actually is. That guy had a hundred yards passing, 3 yards rushing, and 3 INTs against Pitt.
Tbf Pitt has a top 10 DL in the country and tech definitely isn’t in that class. I’m fine with the D as the talent level improves I think it will get better.

Milwaukee

Banned
I wanted to strangle Eric Wood and also the officials the entire game. They held our DL all night, the roughing the passer was complete bs, and the Atwell fumble into the endzone was a gamechanging missed call. The only call I saw we caught a break on was a missed facemask call we committed on the sideline ending a play. This seems to be a pattern or maybe I'm just biased, but it feels like the officials are killing us every game this season.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Gibbs is the reason we won tonight. Several guys played well, but we don’t win if he’s not on our team.

Sims played much better and is going to be really good.

Our RB room is so deep and I love it. Like that Smith got in the endzone at the end.

Our defense is garbage. Some of you are being too nice. I will credit them fro stripping the ball out and creating turnovers. Outside of that and a few pressures late, it was bad. Felt like Roof was back with all the 3rd and longs they picked up. I had no confidence when they were in the field.

But I don’t want to harp too much on it because I’m pumped! For the win, but also the future. Can you imagine what Sims and Gibbs are going to look like in 2 years?

Go Jackets and THWG!
I think you're being overly harsh on the defense. The truth is probably somewhere in between you and folks who might be lauding the defense. But Louisville had 6 possessions of consequence in the second half of the game (I'm not counting the last two plays of the game). They scored a TD on one of them. On the other 5 we forced 2 fumbles, 2 punts, and a turnover on downs. I agree about the 3rd down conversions problem tonight. Louisville got way too many of those. And I also have to admit that I didn't have confidence when they were on the field. But in the second half they flat out got the job done. Period.

I'm not trying to tell you the defense is even good. I was very frustrated, and am still frustrated, by many of the things I saw and have seen during this season. But they kept Louisville to just below their average scoring, kept them right at their average yards for passing, but did give up a bunch more rushing yards than they usually get. Though, to be fair, their last two games were against two top 20 defenses and we gave up 7 less points than Miami did and they are one of those two top 20 defenses (they might drop some after the game with Clemson, though). I think you're not giving our guys credit for the good things they did.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I wanted to strangle Eric Wood and also the officials the entire game. They held our DL all night, the roughing the passer was complete bs, and the Atwell fumble into the endzone was a gamechanging missed call. The only call I saw we caught a break on was a missed facemask call we committed on the sideline ending a play. This seems to be a pattern or maybe I'm just biased, but it feels like the officials are killing us every game this season.
The announcers all seemed to agree that Atwell did fumble the ball into the end zone. I actually thought Wood wasn't bad, especially considering he played for Louisville.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Special teams...still special.

FG/XP is still special. WTF on that defender just jumping in and blocking the kick.

We did give up a KO return to the 40, but we also had one where Howard peppered the returner on the 15 and and a couple that were stopped inside the 25. Plus our KO kicker put at least three in the end zone, which was awesome. They had a touchback or two and typically we got it outside the 20 on our returns. I'd call it close to a draw on KO's overall.

The fake FG was an unbelievable call, extremely well-executed, and made a huge difference by helping us hang around in the game when we were being outplayed and out-schemed. Another time Harvin out-kicked coverage and they got about a 15-yd return on us. Louisville's punts were moderately effective excepting pinning us on our 5 when they lucked out and had a false start when missing a long FG attempt. I don't recall too many of their punts being returnable. The fake was such a huge play though I give us the win on punting overall. Harvin had a couple of effective deep punts as well and one where he got a really lucky roll.

So overall I thought we either won slightly the ST battle or at least held our own. It seemed improved to me.

Milwaukee

Banned
The announcers all seemed to agree that Atwell did fumble the ball into the end zone. I actually thought Wood wasn't bad, especially considering he played for Louisville.

He was literally the only one of the 3 that said it’s inconclusive 4 or 5 times in a row while the back camera clearly showed the ball was out while the other 2 said it was clear. He kept doubling down and never budged. Oh well, I admit I’m biased though.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
The question is did the ball break the plane before being fumbled. If it did then that's a touchdown that was then nullified by the penalty. There was no clear shot parallel to the goal line in which one could determine that the ball came loose before breaking the plane. The referee blocked the view.

I thought the officials got that one right becauseit was not called a fumble/touchback on the field. Of course, had it been called a fumble on the field then there would not have been enough evidence to reverse the call and it would have been our ball via touchback. When the camera is inconclusive one has to trust the call on the field.

Milwaukee

Banned
FG/XP is still special. WTF on that defender just jumping in and blocking the kick.

We did give up a KO return to the 40, but we also had one where Howard peppered the returner on the 15 and and a couple that were stopped inside the 25. Plus our KO kicker put at least three in the end zone, which was awesome. They had a touchback or two and typically we got it outside the 20 on our returns. I'd call it close to a draw on KO's overall.

The fake FG was an unbelievable call, extremely well-executed, and made a huge difference by helping us hang around in the game when we were being outplayed and out-schemed. Another time Harvin out-kicked coverage and they got about a 15-yd return on us. Louisville's punts were moderately effective excepting pinning us on our 5 when they lucked out and had a false start when missing a long FG attempt. I don't recall too many of their punts being returnable. The fake was such a huge play though I give us the win on punting overall. Harvin had a couple of effective deep punts as well and one where he got a really lucky roll.

So overall I thought we either won slightly the ST battle or at least held our own. It seemed improved to me.

Did I miss a fake FG??

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I think you're being overly harsh on the defense. The truth is probably somewhere in between you and folks who might be lauding the defense. But Louisville had 6 possessions of consequence in the second half of the game (I'm not counting the last two plays of the game). They scored a TD on one of them. On the other 5 we forced 2 fumbles, 2 punts, and a turnover on downs. I agree about the 3rd down conversions problem tonight. Louisville got way too many of those. And I also have to admit that I didn't have confidence when they were on the field. But in the second half they flat out got the job done. Period.

I'm not trying to tell you the defense is even good. I was very frustrated, and am still frustrated, by many of the things I saw and have seen during this season. But they kept Louisville to just below their average scoring, kept them right at their average yards for passing, but did give up a bunch more rushing yards than they usually get. Though, to be fair, their last two games were against two top 20 defenses and we gave up 7 less points than Miami did and they are one of those two top 20 defenses (they might drop some after the game with Clemson, though). I think you're not giving our guys credit for the good things they did.
I can agree with most of this.

It also f'in sucked when it was 4th and 7 and Louisville went for it. That was straight up disrespect and you know what....it paid off for them.
**** that.

Before we talk about having a "black watch defense" then let's at least make them scared on a 4th and 7 that they won't convert

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I can agree with most of this.

It also f'in sucked when it was 4th and 7 and Louisville went for it. That was straight up disrespect and you know what....it paid off for them.
**** that.

Before we talk about having a "black watch defense" then let's at least make them scared on a 4th and 7 that they won't convert
Oh I agree with you on that 100% Believe me I'm not saying our defense is even just solid. They've got a LONG way to go. So I think we are right about on the same page.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck

I gave them credit for the good things they did. They forced the turnovers and applied some good pressure in the 2nd half. Especially when we got up and they were forced into passing situations.

That being said, I don’t think I’m being too harsh on them. If Louisville would’ve just ran the ball, I don’t think we would’ve stopped them.

But again, we won so I don’t care nearly as much. I’m enjoying the win and thoughts of more as our young playmakers continue to mature.

I’ll add one last thing, I really hope we keep looking for ways to get Brown more involved. He’s so explosive and I’d love to see us utilize him more. We targeted him on the first drive then I’m not sure he saw another target the rest of the night.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
The question is did the ball break the plane before being fumbled. If it did then that's a touchdown that was then nullified by the penalty. There was no clear shot parallel to the goal line in which one could determine that the ball came loose before breaking the plane. The referee blocked the view.

I thought the officials got that one right becauseit was not called a fumble/touchback on the field. Of course, had it been called a fumble on the field then there would not have been enough evidence to reverse the call and it would have been our ball via touchback. When the camera is inconclusive one has to trust the call on the field.
Agree. Not only did the ref block the view, he was right there to make the call.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I just miss having DKnight in there and being able to Blitz 5 but Quez has played really good.

Was Knight out? Thought I saw #17 a few times but maybe I have his number wrong. Quez is a good backer. Actually Curry is pretty good too, just not terribly fast. LBs tend to look better and better the better the defensive line is.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I gave them credit for the good things they did. They forced the turnovers and applied some good pressure in the 2nd half. Especially when we got up and they were forced into passing situations.

That being said, I don’t think I’m being too harsh on them. If Louisville would’ve just ran the ball, I don’t think we would’ve stopped them.

But again, we won so I don’t care nearly as much. I’m enjoying the win and thoughts of more as our young playmakers continue to mature.

I’ll add one last thing, I really hope we keep looking for ways to get Brown more involved. He’s so explosive and I’d love to see us utilize him more. We targeted him on the first drive then I’m not sure he saw another target the rest of the night.
Well at least we can agree on enjoying the win and watching the young playmakers continue to mature and that yes, we absolutely need to get AB that ball more! Go Jackets!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Personally I felt there was no way they could overturn it based on the camera shots. So I didn't have a problem with the way they officiated that.
However that play was called on the field was going to stand. There’s no way they could’ve overturned it either way. Unfortunately Tech was on the wrong side of it, but luckily it didn’t matter at the end of the day.