Louisville Post Game

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I thought we were heading for a third straight crap show just about half time but we scored that quick TD and came out and played a completely different second half. I was happy to see the effort and execution in the second half. We still have a lot of issues but we have a chance to be a pretty decent team if we can build on this one.

Go Jackets!

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Well look at that.
What happens when you don’t turn the ball over? What happens when there’s not the stupid careless penalties?

A great bounce back victory!!!!
Excellent work by the offense Sims was poised tonight and Gibbs had a great game.

Gotta play Louisville more often.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
People asked for adjustments. We got less penalties. We got less turnovers. We made(most of) our kicks.
We have, bar none, the best RB group in the country and are without our leading returning rusher and starter.
We are young but damn are we exciting. Great win by the home team!

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Turnovers are king. A bad showing by the defense overall but we got some lucky breaks with the changes of possession. Clemson will be a blood bath.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Grades:

D: B-, got to give them credit for their late game play and creating 3 turnovers, but some of the ridiculous 3rd and long give ups makes it hard not to give them a C.

O: A-, Thought we had some poor execution in most of the first half, then also the first drive out of halftime, but you can't argue with 46 pts. Gibbs gets an A+ either way.

Special Teams: C+, probably too generous, but the kickoffs were mainly good, and hey, we made 4 out of 5 xtra points. :)

Shotgun snapping: D-, this is sad

Blueberry Unis: F, but they can wear them every time if they win

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Game really shows the potential this offense has if it limits the turnovers and penalties. Sims is going to be special and I feel sorry for those who don't believe that. Still needs to develop but he is the future. Gibbs is just special. We have three other really good backs, including Mason, but Gibbs is a next level type of talent. If we can get the OL up to speed our offense is going to be really good the next couple of years.

Defensively it is frustrating to watch because time and time again we would make a play or two, get them into third and long, then give up a conversion. It feels like we weren't that far off a really good game, but at the same time it feels like it won't get significantly better until we can elevate our DL and front 7 in general play. Got some nice pieces though and Clayton balled out.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
We needed this win and feels good to get more than 30. First since cpj years. Our d has its rough moments.
We really need to get kicking cleaned up too.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
So much good tonight. I can't decide who the offensive gameball goes to, split between Sims, Malachai, and the Running Backs.
On Defense either Clayton or Dominek.
A clean game without turnovers and an opportunistic defense made the day. Celebrate tonight boys and watch Clemson vs Miami tomorrow to make sure that you can figure out a way to keep next week close enough to win.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Game really shows the potential this offense has if it limits the turnovers and penalties. Sims is going to be special and I feel sorry for those who don't believe that. Still needs to develop but he is the future. Gibbs is just special. We have three other really good backs, including Mason, but Gibbs is a next level type of talent. If we can get the OL up to speed our offense is going to be really good the next couple of years.

Defensively it is frustrating to watch because time and time again we would make a play or two, get them into third and long, then give up a conversion. It feels like we weren't that far off a really good game, but at the same time it feels like it won't get significantly better until we can elevate our DL and front 7 in general play. Got some nice pieces though and Clayton balled out.

Really I think Sims just needs seasoning more than anything. He's got the mental toughness and temperament down, but sometimes he's not fully present and delivers an inaccurate ball.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Louisville is pretty bad offensively, and for us to give up so many yards, TOP, first downs, and especially to alllow them to be above 50% on 3rd down coversions is embarrassing. And does NOT bode well for the rest of this season.

Offense much better than last year. Defense is not.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing I will have to eat some crow from last year. Patenaude really does seem to try to call plays that play to our players strength. I was not a fan last year. But I really can’t complaint with any of his games called this year. Even the losses. Of course there are plays here and there but that is well every coach. I really have hope he will continues to be able to develops Sims.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
This team really proved me wrong.

After Hawkins ripped off that big gainer deep from within Louisville territory on a 3rd and 17 draw play I posted "we deserve to lose". It just seemed like we let them convert huge money down after huge money down. TOP and plays run favored Loserville, and I expected to see a completely gassed and demoralized defense. Well to hell with me! Instead they fought their tails off and made a stop.

Now our offense and our OC. Patenaude is starting to make a believer out of me. That drive before the half had some amazing play calls. The screen to finally get Gibbs in space. The reverse passs by AB to Camp for the score…are you kidding me?!?!? That kind of play has a big effect on a team. A trick play serves to loosen you up, and come the second half it was GT who was out there flying around and having fun, not Louisville.

I was frustrated at Patenaude's calling so many runs up the middle that went nowhere. But you know what? It was Louisville's defense that laid down at the end of the game, not GT's. Those body blows I believe bore fruit. Louisville looked gassed at the end of the game and we were mashing on the gas.

Now yes, if Louisville plays a clean game and protects the ball then they probably win. But we were more disciplined, had fewer turnovers, and were the less penalized team. We stole the game, yes. But we also stepped up and TOOK it. Like FSU, being behind didn't matter. We just kept playing and eventually they were the team that wilted, not us. I thought it was a culture win, and it showed a lot of character.