Locker Room Renovation Underway

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe I’m crazy, but what the hell goes into a locker room that costs 4.5 MILLION dollars.

I mean screw the fundraising campaign and just take half a mil off and pay for it from there. Does a 4 Million dollar locker room just suck?

I mean I’m half kidding. If we need it we need it...but holy crap

I totally get that you have to "compete" with the other schools, so I'm not down on this decision at all, but as a general rule of thumb I think all the money that is spent on this stuff is so insane. (That's funny about $4 million room must suck.) Does anyone have pics of the current locker room? I'm just curious.

I wonder what costs so much money, exactly? I've never been in a college football locker room, so I'm sure I just don't get it and someone here can explain it to me.

Deleted member 2897

I totally get that you have to "compete" with the other schools, so I'm not down on this decision at all, but as a general rule of thumb I think all the money that is spent on this stuff is so insane. (That's funny about $4 million room must suck.) Does anyone have pics of the current locker room? I'm just curious.

I wonder what costs so much money, exactly? I've never been in a college football locker room, so I'm sure I just don't get it and someone here can explain it to me.

As I understand it, there is a decent amount of structural stuff being done. New walls, floors, lighting, glass wall, lockers - all of it. All of that basic work could easily be into seven figures itself. There is a brand new sound system - its probably got speakers and what not all around the locker room. I wouldn't doubt if that costs several hundred grand. Then you have 116 (# of lockers) of everything. Each locker has its own programmable ventilation/climate control system, flat screen TV, etc. That work could be another several hundred grand. And when I say all this, I'm ignoring the labor to put it together. You could have a million just in labor - at $100/hour, 20 people would cost $1M after about 3 months work. Hot tub, cold tub, full showers and restrooms, etc. etc.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I have no dog in this fight and really don't care . A book I have "100 things Yellow Jackets Fans Should Know & do before they die " , has the following.

White jerseys date back to 1982 when the team wore white shirts and pants and dark socks.
John Heisman teams wore a two toned jerseys for a period.
Bill Alexander put navy blue shirts late in his coaching career.
Georgia Tech because instantly recongnizable by it's white jerseys during the Golden Era of the early 1950's, Bobby Dodd's teams.
Once Dodd retired Tech began experimenting with gold jerseys.
Tech adopted black jerseys in 1984 and 1985
.Bobby Ross lightened the jersey to a shade of navy blue.
White jerseys fit the desire of George O'Leary known as " getting back to our roots".
Chan Gailey had his teams wear gold jerseys.
Paul Johnson went back to white and wears dark jerseys at home on occasion.

If this is right I have no idea it came from the book.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s common. I ran marketing for several Fortune 50 firms and few enforce their own standards. Often, there is no penalty for ignoring them so many people do.
As a GT grad, I know this is strange, but I am a marketing professional whose career focus is on brand guidelines and manuals. I've found that some companies are great at protecting their brand - FedEx, Coca-cola (who have brand departments that review everything that goes out with their name on it) - and some are TERRIBLE at it and think just having guidelines means compliance. My guess is that GT is in the middle - with the brand guidelines written by someone on the academic side but that the athletic department pretty much does what they want anyway because of the money they bring in. :)

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
As I understand it, there is a decent amount of structural stuff being done. New walls, floors, lighting, glass wall, lockers - all of it. All of that basic work could easily be into seven figures itself. There is a brand new sound system - its probably got speakers and what not all around the locker room. I wouldn't doubt if that costs several hundred grand. Then you have 116 (# of lockers) of everything. Each locker has its own programmable ventilation/climate control system, flat screen TV, etc. That work could be another several hundred grand. And when I say all this, I'm ignoring the labor to put it together. You could have a million just in labor - at $100/hour, 20 people would cost $1M after about 3 months work. Hot tub, cold tub, full showers and restrooms, etc. etc.
thanks for that explanation.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Actually the pompous football coach you refer to also used blue. The Black Watch uniforms were, IIRC, only used one year. And I agree that he was pompous.

Somewhat true.

He used blue shirts one game - vs ugag at GF in 81. Then went black.

In the larger conversation, everyone has their own taste and likes.

I would like to see a vast majority of uni to be white & Gold (100% if we could get somewhat of a Texas look) with Slight dark blue if need be.

But to me black, in combo with Gold, is just ugly. Dreary looking. Downer. Like vandy, lows, Steelers - bleech. JMO.

Regardless, it won’t matter what we think. :) :(

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So the gtaa is going to tell Adidas what to color the stuff they make?
Got a feeling that we are in for a little blip when their stuff comes out

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Got a tour of facilities in mid 14.
Everything was clean and well done, but dated and had no pop.

What was particularly less than I expected was the private locker room. This private locker room is for visiting ga tech pro athletes and distinguished pro athletes that train offseason at gt. It looked like a converted storage room w nice lockers. I pointed out these issues to my coach/ host who said its on the list.

Glad they are making progress cause kids love eye candy.

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
My recommendation is to stop being an engineer, and let the marketing people and the kids and coaches who know and care do their thing. Our job is to be fans and relentlessly support them.
Yep.

Fan = Fanatic

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Never knew I was a dude. Who wears levis and sneakers. But in a lot of them, nope, In some, yes, and at the least they have been okay. Have not been in Tech's. My point is pretty simple: if you want to run a class operation, as GT always says it does, then that includes the visitors. Makes no difference to me as those days are behind me. Tech's reputation is up to GT.

Visitors locker room should be clean and serviceable. Doesn’t need all the bells and whistles unless also utilized by our own athletic department. Visiting pros I’d be happy to accommodate properly as their presence helps give our programs more gravitas.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
My big picture take on this project is just more evidence of our new commitment to improve recruiting. That's all this is. First impressions are huge in recruiting. This makes an impression. I think the front end investment is more important - the new staff positions dedicated to identifying and finding perfect fits academically and athletically (making sure we are aiming at the right targets) - but this will help seal the deal!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
As a GT grad, I know this is strange, but I am a marketing professional whose career focus is on brand guidelines and manuals. I've found that some companies are great at protecting their brand - FedEx, Coca-cola (who have brand departments that review everything that goes out with their name on it) - and some are TERRIBLE at it and think just having guidelines means compliance. My guess is that GT is in the middle - with the brand guidelines written by someone on the academic side but that the athletic department pretty much does what they want anyway because of the money they bring in. :)

as someone with a background in marketing, can you speak to why (to the untrained eye) GT APPEARS to be different than their competition? Even if you have no inside info, what is your best professional opinion? Why are we having discussions about what are colors are/aren't given that we having been at this (sports) for awhile now? As far as I know (and I don't visit other message boards at all), GT seems to be alone in our confusion as to what our colors are and what our uniforms should look like.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s not that easy. Many colors are not reproducible in fabric. Old Gold is one that is very hard to replicate batch to batch.
Not only this, but even the same pantone on different fabrics/materials appears different. This is why matching the pants and helmet for instance is not as easy with gold as some may think. But to the original question, yes, Georgia Tech is going to tell Adidas which colors, wordmarks, and logos they can use. The design of the apparel and how they use those features is up to them (and subject to Georgia Tech's approval) - that's their core competency.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
as someone with a background in marketing, can you speak to why (to the untrained eye) GT APPEARS to be different than their competition? Even if you have no inside info, what is your best professional opinion? Why are we having discussions about what are colors are/aren't given that we having been at this (sports) for awhile now? As far as I know (and I don't visit other message boards at all), GT seems to be alone in our confusion as to what our colors are and what our uniforms should look like.

Part of this is simply a lack of brand identity for almost 20 years. for a long time we had a fairly traditional style to our uniform, the colors might get messed with a little but we were pretty consistent. Then when we signed with russell in what was basically the first ever major apparel deal in college football. The gold kept changing colors. Russell was pretty decent about the on field uniforms ( even setting a few trends that would be done better by other manufacturers later liek side paneling into paneling on the pants that was adopted by the steelers then ended up everywhere in the "modern" uniform look. The problem was year to year they seemed to change the gold so pretty much no fan gear was made in consistent gold coloring. This lead to Navy basically becoming our primary fan gear color. Navy was easy to find, and people typically like darker colors than wearing white for every day wear.

Then we have another issue. Most schools have a consistent color across both academic and athletic materials. Tech doesn't. Athletically we are old gold, white and navy. Academically you still find a lot of Yellow, Black and white stuff. Buzz is also these colors rather than say, old gold and navy. I can find more black shirts with a gold yellow jackets written on them than i could old gold with white. Pretty much every other school has matching academic and athletic color palettes even if the logos for the school are different for both.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
My big picture take on this project is just more evidence of our new commitment to improve recruiting. That's all this is. First impressions are huge in recruiting. This makes an impression. I think the front end investment is more important - the new staff positions dedicated to identifying and finding perfect fits academically and athletically (making sure we are aiming at the right targets) - but this will help seal the deal!
Hate to dwell on Clemson, but it is bringing in an Alabama O line commitment this weekend for a second visit, and what he talked about first and foremost was the new football building and facilities. They do notice.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Not only this, but even the same pantone on different fabrics/materials appears different. This is why matching the pants and helmet for instance is not as easy with gold as some may think. But to the original question, yes, Georgia Tech is going to tell Adidas which colors, wordmarks, and logos they can use. The design of the apparel and how they use those features is up to them (and subject to Georgia Tech's approval) - that's their core competency.

That’s another reason I like what Tennessee did. They didn’t tell Nike what to do. Nike researched it, interviewed stakeholders, and came up with a new schema: They ditched “UT” in favor of the “Power T”, introduced the checkerboard into the uniform itself, and changed the orange. They introduced “one” neutral third color, smoke gray. All in, it’s homogenous across the university, merchandising, and athletic gear. +1 for out of the box thinking.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow

I don't have inside info, but my opinion is that I agree with jgtengineer - it is a lack of brand control over the past 30+ years. GT is very careful with who they let replicate their logo (I hear lots of complaints about this), but they do themselves in with the merchandise they license that is predominantly on black or navy backgrounds and the horrible light yellow they use for the gold in material - I mean, are we pastel yellow or gold? While I understand why they do this (I don't want only white sweatshirts - or wanna be gold ones unless I'm going to the game itself), I think it creates a huge misunderstanding in the colors. And on top of that, we are the yellow jackets...not the gold jackets...so that makes it even more complicated.

Look at our uniforms when we wear the "gold" pants...they are yellow gold, but the helmets are metallic gold. And while fabric is tough in metallic form...it's not like metallic gold pants don't exist. (FSU, Notre Dame, etc.)

Here's a funny that might help you understand the gravity of the confusion. While I knew the fight song at age 3 (using "heck" of course) which clearly states white and gold, I thought Tech's colors nearly my whole life were black and gold. Even when I attended Tech in the early 90s - I never connected the dots that black was not one of the predominant colors. I had all kinds of stuff that said, "I bleed black and gold." Every article of GT clothing I had until the past few years was either black with a yellow logo or navy with a yellow logo. Buzz is yellow, not gold. And he's black, not navy. This complicates things a lot. Gold is VERY difficult, as the metallic doesn't translate on screen in RGB or in many print formats unless you use metallic ink, so all types of gold or yellow have been used and no one is quite sure what color Tech is unless they go look it up (and who does that except us nerds on this site?). And in fabric, it is even more difficult. Until I started working in marketing, I didn't really get how difficult gold was, and often used it interchangeably with a "goldish" yellow in my mind. Worse, my kids are 9 and 7, and they color everything yellow and black in support of GT...They think the colors are yellow and black, even though I've tried to explain they are is white and gold.

I think if our colors were red and black - or blue and red - or orange and white - it would be less complicated. Everyone knows "Tennessee orange" vs Clemson orange. Everyone knows Crimson Tide vs UGA red. Or ....you name it. As it is, we have a brand color pallet which includes gold, yellow, white, navy, black, dark yellow/gold, and light yellow/gold. There is no understanding of a "Tech gold"! And they are working on coming up with a new gold!!! Do you think Tennessee or Clemson would ever say, hey, we are working on a new orange??

And not to ramble on (pun intended) but most colleges have this identity crisis with their mascot - having 2 names (i.e. rambling wreck and yellow jackets, rebels and the landsharks, crimson tide and the elephant, war eagle and the tigers, on and on) but they seemed to have nailed the colors pretty well. I might be shot for saying this, I wonder if the problem is that Tech is such an engineering school that they don't know to care about things like this on the right level. Maybe for so long, marketing wasn't done by marketing professionals - maybe it was managed by engineers? There are colleges that have gold and have overcome...maybe we should take a page from their book. :)