Locker Room Renovation Underway

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And they are working on coming up with a new gold!!! Do you think Tennessee or Clemson would ever say, hey, we are working on a new orange??

In fact, Tennessee did just that. They changed the orange to make it work across platforms and for manufacturability.

I once had responsibility for a 150 year old brand. I loved the history of it, but it just didn’t work in today’s environment. And I had to change it. Fortunately, the positives outweighed the negatives and it was overwhelmingly received.

Change is not bad if it brings order out of chaos.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
In fact, Tennessee did just that. They changed the orange to make it work across platforms and for manufacturability.

I once had responsibility for a 150 year old brand. I loved the history of it, but it just didn’t work in today’s environment. And I had to change it. Fortunately, the positives outweighed the negatives and it was overwhelmingly received.

Change is not bad if it brings order out of chaos.
I totally agree, and I hope we are doing that!!

I did not know that about Tennessee. I lived in Memphis, TN for 20 years, and well, let's just say that part of the state is not a fan of the big orange. When did they change the orange? (and wow, funny - and sad - I didn't notice!)

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
After having read so many of these posts on here, and various other places where the same news has been released about the locker room upgrades it's very clear to me there are some very ungrateful people. I mean they totally over look the fact that 1 donor believes so much in GT football that transcends just words and they actually give 4.5 MILLION DOLLARS towards a place/team that must have/hold a very precious place in their heart. I imagine a person with the ability to give such as this is recruited, invited, and pursued like a 5 star recruit yet they chose GT. Not only did they choose GT but GT Football specifically not the other sports teams or academic research/studies. They also chose to do it in a meek/humble fashion as to do it without a spotlight, naming rights, or seeking the spotlight saying "look what I did and please kiss my ring when you see me around campus or at the games. Talk about a humble gesture. Who knows what their likes are with the coaches, coaching schemes, or hell even the way CPJ parts his hair. They are able to see a need and give generously towards a effort bigger than themselves. However some people want to grandstand up on their soap boxes about coaching staff, music played in the stadium, too many people standing vs. sitting in the stands, empty seats, uniform color schemes/school colors, recruiting, player development, depth charts, down to the color choices chosen on the wall/carpets in the new locker room. Perhaps the donors one request was their favorite color of blue/navy to be incorporated into the design because of a personal preference. Who knows and honestly should true fans be that petty! Hopefully the person/family/business that stroked the check joy for giving to GT Football program is greater today with the announcement and design scheme than the disparaging petty comments written in a public forum instead of just saying "Thank you and GO JACKETS!" Perhaps the donor found it within themselves to give towards a vision of a greater future instead of focusing on what they perceive (in their own opinion) as being detractors or "wrong" with the staff, schemes, depth chart, player position, or lack of fan support and wanted to be someone who contributed something positive in order to make GT Football greater than it is/was in a very tangible way! I understand that many, many of us may not be able to give money in such a vast amount ( maybe you can,I can't) but the one thing we can do is to support the program and entrust those who have been hired into positions to make decisions that are in the overall best interest of GT Football. If you think you can do a better job? Then submit your resume and apply for the job. If not then perhaps pause for three seconds or so before you post your next negative comment and find a more positive way of saying it or heaven forbid keep it to yourself (especially if you have already made your opinion made) or take the time to address the issues privately with a person in a position to respond appropriately to your concern. Once again GO JACKETS!

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Go do a google image search of Clemson’s locker room and then let’s see a retraction. . The amount of purple in there is incredible.
You want to start real trouble? Go on Clemson's web site and start a thread advocating more purple uniforms for games. Boy howdy, that would be like kicking a south Georgia fire ant mound over.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I might be shot for saying this, I wonder if the problem is that Tech is such an engineering school that they don't know to care about things like this on the right level. Maybe for so long, marketing wasn't done by marketing professionals - maybe it was managed by engineers? There are colleges that have gold and have overcome...maybe we should take a page from their book. :)

I don't think you would be shot by any stretch of the imagination. I would say rather that us engineering grads are skeptical about the validity of our business school, since we (as an institution) seem to possess so little business acumen. After all, you expect Julliard to produce people who are accomplished in the art and science of performing arts.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
After having read so many of these posts on here, and various other places where the same news has been released about the locker room upgrades it's very clear to me there are some very ungrateful people. I mean they totally over look the fact that 1 donor believes so much in GT football that transcends just words and they actually give 4.5 MILLION DOLLARS towards a place/team that must have/hold a very precious place in their heart. I imagine a person with the ability to give such as this is recruited, invited, and pursued like a 5 star recruit yet they chose GT. Not only did they choose GT but GT Football specifically not the other sports teams or academic research/studies. They also chose to do it in a meek/humble fashion as to do it without a spotlight, naming rights, or seeking the spotlight saying "look what I did and please kiss my ring when you see me around campus or at the games. Talk about a humble gesture. Who knows what their likes are with the coaches, coaching schemes, or hell even the way CPJ parts his hair. They are able to see a need and give generously towards a effort bigger than themselves. However some people want to grandstand up on their soap boxes about coaching staff, music played in the stadium, too many people standing vs. sitting in the stands, empty seats, uniform color schemes/school colors, recruiting, player development, depth charts, down to the color choices chosen on the wall/carpets in the new locker room. Perhaps the donors one request was their favorite color of blue/navy to be incorporated into the design because of a personal preference. Who knows and honestly should true fans be that petty! Hopefully the person/family/business that stroked the check joy for giving to GT Football program is greater today with the announcement and design scheme than the disparaging petty comments written in a public forum instead of just saying "Thank you and GO JACKETS!" Perhaps the donor found it within themselves to give towards a vision of a greater future instead of focusing on what they perceive (in their own opinion) as being detractors or "wrong" with the staff, schemes, depth chart, player position, or lack of fan support and wanted to be someone who contributed something positive in order to make GT Football greater than it is/was in a very tangible way! I understand that many, many of us may not be able to give money in such a vast amount ( maybe you can,I can't) but the one thing we can do is to support the program and entrust those who have been hired into positions to make decisions that are in the overall best interest of GT Football. If you think you can do a better job? Then submit your resume and apply for the job. If not then perhaps pause for three seconds or so before you post your next negative comment and find a more positive way of saying it or heaven forbid keep it to yourself (especially if you have already made your opinion made) or take the time to address the issues privately with a person in a position to respond appropriately to your concern. Once again GO JACKETS!
Amen

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I heard that Paul literally called an alum and told him the situation. The alum asked, “How much do you need?” And said no problem. Apparently, MBob was pissed, telling CPJ that wasn’t his job. It looks like it wasn’t MBob’s either.

Calvin? He’s a big money alum with a whole lot of time on his hands now. He could literally single-handedly turn around the financial situation of the AA without taking too big of a hit. I’d love to see him take a bigger role in promoting/funding GT athletics.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Calvin? He’s a big money alum with a whole lot of time on his hands now. He could literally single-handedly turn around the financial situation of the AA without taking too big of a hit. I’d love to see him take a bigger role in promoting/funding GT athletics.
It sounds like you'd also like for him to turn around the financial situation of the AA. :)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Megatron getting his degree, and then promoting GT, would probably be more valuable than any reasonable donation he might make. There is a time window for maximum impact though.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow

Hell yeah man! Mind=rite!

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
The locker room is for the players and to appeal to potential players. It's rarely seen by anyone else and certainly isn't the face of GT football. So long as it's Tech, I say give the players what they want. It's theirs, and a huge part of the motivation for this update was to appeal to recruits.

I love GT and the colors white and gold. They just don't work from a design standpoint without a tertiary color. And people's waistlines are ever-increasing (mine too), so they're just not interested in light-colored apparel. I think we need to 1. regain control over the colors so that all of the ones used match each other, 2. make sure that all of our media material that is not apparel features white & gold, 3. keep blue unis a once-a-season type of thing. The hardest part is what people wear to the game and how it appears on TV. I don't expect that to change. We can do T-shirt giveaways and white/gold out games once each a year for the big ones.

That carpet will be disgusting after a couple days of practice
I would imagine that would be the case no matter what color the carpet is, but definitely if it's white or any light color. I may not like blue in our uniforms, but, contrary to what some of you think, I am not stupid, and the darker the carpet (if any carpet at all), the better.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Anybody else here find this whole thing kinda funny? All this conjecture (& money) over a locker room - which is just a place where guys change clothes, avoid eye-contact, and get out of there quickly. Sure I see the need to impress recruits with new facilities, but somehow a dressing area has been lifted into a royal status as some mythical inner sanctum shrine.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Anybody else here find this whole thing kinda funny? All this conjecture (& money) over a locker room - which is just a place where guys change clothes, avoid eye-contact, and get out of there quickly. Sure I see the need to impress recruits with new facilities, but somehow a dressing area has been lifted into a royal status as some mythical inner sanctum shrine.
Actually the locker room is more than that. This is a full facility facelift, include places for the guys to hang out etc. Its very important to the people who will actually be in it.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually the locker room is more than that. This is a full facility facelift, include places for the guys to hang out etc. Its very important to the people who will actually be in it.

Then maybe they should’ve announced it as a “full facility facelift” instead of “locker room”. Split hairs if you want, but you can’t deny the dressing area picture is the heart of this 100+ comment discussion. Which is kinda funny.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
It's called a locker room because that's what we call it even though it has other stuff besides lockers and a changing area. Same reason a bathroom is a bathroom even if it doesn't have a bathtub or even of you use it for something else. Words have meanings outside of their literal meaning for most people.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

You are probably in the locker room more than your dorm