Just heard Tstan on 680

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Some of you act like we just don't recruit these kids. We recruited Deshaun Watson. We recruited Kelly Bryant. We recruited Roquan Smith. We recruited Trenton Thompson. We recruited Nick Chubb. We recruited Dexter Lawrence.

Outside of kidnapping these kids and chaining them to the Edge Center, I'm not sure what else you want Johnson to do. As he says, they have to want to come here too. And if they don't, then you move on and get the best players that you can get. I would love to hear the plan from those of you that say we need to recruit better - is it to dedicate more resources? Pull out your checkbooks. Is it that we're not identifying the right talent? I just gave you 6 impact kids off the top of my head that we recruited that decided to go elsewhere, so I'm pretty sure that's not the issue.

If someone can legitimately lay out a road map of how to achieve recruiting success that includes actions/areas that CPJ has direct control over, I would love to hear it. Until then, stop whining about recruiting.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Some of you act like we just don't recruit these kids. We recruited Deshaun Watson. We recruited Kelly Bryant. We recruited Roquan Smith. We recruited Trenton Thompson. We recruited Nick Chubb. We recruited Dexter Lawrence.

Outside of kidnapping these kids and chaining them to the Edge Center, I'm not sure what else you want Johnson to do. As he says, they have to want to come here too. And if they don't, then you move on and get the best players that you can get. I would love to hear the plan from those of you that say we need to recruit better - is it to dedicate more resources? Pull out your checkbooks. Is it that we're not identifying the right talent? I just gave you 6 impact kids off the top of my head that we recruited that decided to go elsewhere, so I'm pretty sure that's not the issue.

If someone can legitimately lay out a road map of how to achieve recruiting success that includes actions/areas that CPJ has direct control over, I would love to hear it. Until then, stop whining about recruiting.
Stop making excuses we need to recruit better. Period. ;)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
We had a two star play like a five star.

Which was my point. Lynch was the second lowest rated player in his high school class to sign with GT. If the goal of GT football is to be ranked high in the recruiting blog sites, then Lynch should not have been offered. He is an outstanding player. He has done more than a lot of guys who were rated much higher. But according to the logic of some on here, he should not have been recruited because he "hurt" GT's recruiting rankings. I don't put any stock whatsoever in the recruiting blog site rankings for such reasons.

Look at GT this year. GT has played 7 games. They dominated 5 of those games. The lost one of the 5 that were dominated because of some silly mistakes. One of the two games that they didn't dominate, they led until the last 4 seconds of the game and lost on a fluke play. Even in the Clemson game there were things that our current players could have done better with their current abilities to make it a closer game and potentially win. The field was an issue. The coaches could have done some things better. Overall, I don't see GT-Clemson as an high school vs NFL matchup. They do have better players overall, but they aren't head and shoulders better than our players at every position. The difference in talent is there, but it isn't as wide as many people seem to believe.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Which was my point. Lynch was the second lowest rated player in his high school class to sign with GT. If the goal of GT football is to be ranked high in the recruiting blog sites, then Lynch should not have been offered. He is an outstanding player. He has done more than a lot of guys who were rated much higher. But according to the logic of some on here, he should not have been recruited because he "hurt" GT's recruiting rankings. I don't put any stock whatsoever in the recruiting blog site rankings for such reasons.

Look at GT this year. GT has played 7 games. They dominated 5 of those games. The lost one of the 5 that were dominated because of some silly mistakes. One of the two games that they didn't dominate, they led until the last 4 seconds of the game and lost on a fluke play. Even in the Clemson game there were things that our current players could have done better with their current abilities to make it a closer game and potentially win. The field was an issue. The coaches could have done some things better. Overall, I don't see GT-Clemson as an high school vs NFL matchup. They do have better players overall, but they aren't head and shoulders better than our players at every position. The difference in talent is there, but it isn't as wide as many people seem to believe.
People also forget one of the big reasons we even saw/recruited Clinton is because we were on Myles Autry - chances are we never even take a look at Clinton if it weren't for him.

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow

It's never as good or as bad as it seems.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Cue a bunch of people saying he should change the offense.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

I was talking about Mason.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
The single hardest position to recruit. Not just for us, but for everybody save Bama and Clemson. Because there are so few blue chip DT's to begin with, the subset of ones that a) prioritize education over football and b) that priority is STEM related is very, very small (microscopic). Once in a blue moon a guy like Tuitt emerges and then you have the NDs and Stanfords doing the full court press and we still barely missed on him. Once in an even bluer moon you get a lucky tip on a guy like Gotsis, a completely unknown project from the other side of the globe. Sometimes you get under-the-radar 3* guys who ball out, but it's much less often/likely at this position. The measureables the services are infatuated with actually matter a ton at this position.

No doubt about it. Defensive tackle is the hardest position to recruit simply because there are so few of them. Some of them are big enough but are too slow. Some of them are fast enough but are not big enough. The second hardest position? Hard to say but I will go with offensive line especially tackles in our system. It is hard to tell how a high school lineman translates to college. Best we can do is recruit the ones we think can play and coach them up. Very seldom do we get freshmen ready to play on the line. Will, Parker, and J.Lee being exceptions. Cooper played some as a freshman also.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Have we ever had a consensus 5* football recruit at Georgia Tech? My understanding is no. Even Calvin Johnson was only rated a 4* by Rivals (LINK).

Well, there you go. Megatron only a 4 star? Perish the thought. Based upon production and how they turned out, I would speculate that he, Bey Bey, Dwyer, Michael Johnson (maybe), Joe Ham and Dez White should all have been 5 stars. But that is hind sight of course.

northgajacket

Banned
Well, you would think but the fact is that all 5 stars and most 4 stars have spent their high school years being told over and over how wonderful they are, how they can do no wrong, etc. They honestly believe that the riches of the NFL are just over the horizon and college is only a step up the ladder. Sadly, a pretty good percentage of them have maxed out their ability in high school they are as good as they are going to get. Others, fall by the wayside due to injury and just plain bad luck. It happens. I do not know what the answer is to our current problems other than put more resources into recruiting. We have to get better athletes and understand that with us player development is paramount.

I agree more resources need to placed in recruiting. The fact is Tech is in a P5 conference and when you lose players to Harvard, then there might be an issue.

northgajacket

Banned
Well, there you go. Megatron only a 4 star? Perish the thought. Based upon production and how they turned out, I would speculate that he, Bey Bey, Dwyer, Michael Johnson (maybe), Joe Ham and Dez White should all have been 5 stars. But that is hind sight of course.

The star system is really subject to opinion. Megatron was a 5 on 24/7, but a 4 on others. Most of these star rankings come from camp performance and I believe you could realistically breakdown prospects into three groups.

GT7378

Georgia Tech Fan
I have never heard CPJ use academics as a crutch. I have heard him say that there are guys that can't be recruited to GT because they won't be able to stay in school. I have seen some heralded recruits that came to GT and left within a year because they couldn't handle the academics. I believe that CPJ simply states the truth. He doesn't hide behind "crutches", he doesn't overstate things, and he doesn't imply things that he doesn't come right out and say in simple language. He has also said that other programs(Clemson) has a lot more support staff than GT. If GT had the number of football people that only review high school athletes, GT could recruit more guys nationally that do fit into GT. As I understand it, most of the high school player reviews are done by the coaches in their spare time of 80-100 hour weeks. If you really want GT to find more players who do fit into GT, then you should be donating all you can to the program. My guess is that you don't even have an AT Fund account. Join the Golden Jackets club, get involved in the program, and maybe then I will give a damn what you think. At the moment I don't.
What a great scene from A Few Good Men......

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree more resources need to placed in recruiting. The fact is Tech is in a P5 conference and when you lose players to Harvard, then there might be an issue.
While I totally agree with this, I will say it hurts less to lose a kid who says they care about academics to Harvard (or even Stanford for that matter) than it does to Alabama.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The star system is really subject to opinion. Megatron was a 5 on 24/7, but a 4 on others. Most of these star rankings come from camp performance and I believe you could realistically breakdown prospects into three groups.

24/7 started in 2010. Calvin was drafted in 2007.