Just heard Tstan on 680

dfwjacket82

Georgia Tech Fan
I want to win but whether or not I "expect" to win has nothing to do with whether we do.

If I "expect" to win 10 games a year I will quickly lose interest as we don't except once every 15 years or so. It is still just entertainment.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
There's clearly a middle ground between using something as a crutch and ignoring it exists. I think coach shoots it straight and doesn't really come off like he believes it's an insurmountable obstacle, but he's also realistic and knowns only certain kinds of kids will come here and that limits the talent pool available to us.

I'm just a fan so I can only tell you my opinion on the whole academics thing:

College athletics are becoming more of a joke as far as education goes. The UNC ruling basically told everyone that they can enroll kids in fake classes as long as non SAs also take those classes. On top of that with the money coming into the P5 the academic support structure is bigger than ever so nobody is really failing out at these schools. The majority of top athletes, in my opinion, simply major in staying eligible.

Tech should, and I feel, does tell prospects that they will get a real education here and that's what sets us apart. The problem lies with the fact if in a given year none of our DL targets, for example, really care about that pitch you end up taking lower quality football players and then that catches up with you down the road. You can absolutely be successful pitching the academic side of being a student athlete but the distribution of prospects who buy into it isn't always going to be even and fill out your class the way you want. I think Stanford and Wisconsin and some others are able to make it work because they target OLine really heavily and you are going to get a bigger ROI with them because they tend to have higher grades/scores than other positions. We can do it with the spread option, but we need to either get into the JuCo game more to help make up for weak position groups we might miss out on during a cycle or start oversigning/processing players to make up for that deficit (something I think is very scummy). We do need to change something if we want to overcome the obstacle of academics but I'm not sure what.