Just heard Tstan on 680

My question is this if and when we get more recruiting resources what will be the problem if we still recruit in the 50’s. That’s all I’m asking it is a wait and see thing.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Decided to look. Here is the comparison. A lot of the majors that the Clemson guys are taking aren't offered at Tech, and seemingly the hardest majors taken by the guys at Clemson are the easiest ones for the guys at Tech.

Clemson Defensive Line (2-deep):
Parks, recreation, and tourism management - Albert Huggins & Jabril Robinson
Sports Communication - Clelin Ferrell
Justice Studies - Dexter Lawrence
Sociology - Chris Register
Communication - Christian Wilkins
Pre-business - Austin Bryan & Xavier Kelly

Georgia Tech Offensive Line (2-deep):
Mechanical engineering - Bailey Ivemeyer
Business administration - Jahaziel Lee, Kenny Cooper, Will Bryan, Brad Morgan, Scott Morgan
Literature, media, communication - Parker Braun, Shamire Devine, Jake Stickler

Is Pre-business just running a lemonade stand on the corner or driveway?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Remember that we were literally two plays away from being 6-1 now...

A lot of people keep saying this, but that is a bigger indictment than anything to me. We either were not coached up enough, did not recruit well enough, or for whatever reason did not get the job done. Hell, ugag could go around saying they were one play away from beating us last year, or fsu also in 2015. But it does not hold water.

Some coach once said IIWII. We are NOT 6 - 1.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t believe Tech is an inferior product, but there are people out there making bank selling the hell out of inferior products. We have a solid CEO in CPJ, but we need better salesmen.

You must have never worked with sales people. It's never their fault.

But in all seriousness, I agree that we can and should be better more consistently. I think a big part of it is branding which I think TStan is going to do. Or at least try. Hopefully if anybody reads these boards, he does. I've seen a lot of good ideas tossed around that could help.

The main problem I see is CPJ recruits to a system vs taking best player available and coaching them to play in our system. Now I may be wrong in that, but it is what is showing.

Marketing is a lot of GT problem I live outside augusta and I can go in any store and see ugag stuff have to really search to find GT merchandise.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure because we have too often cut our own throats for stupid reasons.

How was -

Carson better than Dickey?
Fulcher better than Carson?
Curry better than Rodgers or Spurrier?
Lewis better than GO'L?
cg better than Mac?
I'm not sure any of them were better. Spurrier was the only one who went on to bigger and better things. He was able to put together a year or two at Duke before getting to a recruiting promised land at Florida but couldn't do it at South Carolina or the pro's for that matter. Curry won the SEC and got fired by the brain surgeons at Tuscalusa. Bottom line is it probably wouldn't have made much difference. CPJ is the best coach we've ever had and he can't get us over the national conversation hump. It's going to take more than a coach to get us in that conversation. It's going to take more high level players!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Absolutely true. But if we think CJP can recruit 1 5*
out of 4 recruits in a year, why can’t CPJ recruit 1 or 2 out of 25?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What do you think he could do better that he isn't?? Answer that and then I can take your criticism seriously. Otherwise you are just whining.

I'll also repeat that the star system is garbage. Everyone probably knows who the best 3% of recruits in the country are. How many 5 star guards would you trade Bryan and Braun for? I'm not making that trade. So quit implying all of our starters are scrubs.

Would I like to see some dominant DTs? Yes. We have been lucky to have a single one at any given time in the 30+ years I've been watching. That position group is improving and while I'd like even better I'm pleased with the progress.

@jacob and @okiemon ....feel free to resume your whining...pardon my interruption.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Would I like to see some dominant DTs? Yes.
The single hardest position to recruit. Not just for us, but for everybody save Bama and Clemson. Because there are so few blue chip DT's to begin with, the subset of ones that a) prioritize education over football and b) that priority is STEM related is very, very small (microscopic). Once in a blue moon a guy like Tuitt emerges and then you have the NDs and Stanfords doing the full court press and we still barely missed on him. Once in an even bluer moon you get a lucky tip on a guy like Gotsis, a completely unknown project from the other side of the globe. Sometimes you get under-the-radar 3* guys who ball out, but it's much less often/likely at this position. The measureables the services are infatuated with actually matter a ton at this position.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
For all of the talk about being at a certain position in the recruiting rankings: I am nowhere near a fan of ranking high school athletes in such a way. We had a player who was a 2 to 3 star recruit out of high school that became an All-American and this season has been in the top two rated players at his position. Over the last several years we have recruited the following two and three star players according to 247:

2 Stars
clinton lynch
PJ Davis
Corey Griffen

3 Stars
Jalam Golden
Zach Laskey
Shaq Mason
DJ White
Freddie Burden
Harrison Butker
Qua Searcy
Andrew Marshall
Will Bryan
Brant Mitchell
TaQuon Marshall
Marcus Marshall
Parker Braun
Dedrick Mills
Kenny Cooper

Which of those players should we get rid of or gotten rid of because they don't play well enough? In my opinion none of them. I wouldn't get rid of some 2 and 3 star guys that haven't performed as well as these guys either. Some of the four and five star guys don't pan out at all. Some of the two and three star guys end up as All-Pro NFL players. Judging your team by what paid bloggers think is absolutely ridiculous.

quadf

Georgia Tech Fan
The single hardest position to recruit. Not just for us, but for everybody save Bama and Clemson. Because there are so few blue chip DT's to begin with, the subset of ones that a) prioritize education over football and b) that priority is STEM related is very, very small (microscopic). Once in a blue moon a guy like Tuitt emerges and then you have the NDs and Stanfords doing the full court press and we still barely missed on him. Once in an even bluer moon you get a lucky tip on a guy like Gotsis, a completely unknown project from the other side of the globe. Sometimes you get under-the-radar 3* guys who ball out, but it's much less often/likely at this position. The measureables the services are infatuated with actually matter a ton at this position.
Or Dalvin Tomlinson, who talked about how important academics were (and got scholly offers from GT & harvard) but ended up going to bama.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
It seems like our recruiting has improved a good bit the past 2-3 years, but all of our rival's recruiting has also gotten better. There are more quality football players now than ever before due to population growth. But everything has stayed relative- most decent college teams can get a team of practically all 3-4 star recruits now, but some factories like Bama, clemson, OSU, ugag etc are putting together rosters stacked top to bottom with all 4-5 star players now. To me, there is no coach better for GT at this time than CPG, he has us in every game with special seasons every 2-3 years. In 2014 we were right in the playoff discussion.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Or Dalvin Tomlinson, who talked about how important academics were (and got scholly offers from GT & harvard) but ended up going to bama.
And the kicker. Bama has a trump card (excuse the expression) nobody else has: a 90% likelihood of getting a Natty ring.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
For all of the talk about being at a certain position in the recruiting rankings: I am nowhere near a fan of ranking high school athletes in such a way. We had a player who was a 2 to 3 star recruit out of high school that became an All-American and this season has been in the top two rated players at his position. Over the last several years we have recruited the following two and three star players according to 247:

2 Stars
clinton lynch
PJ Davis
Corey Griffen

3 Stars
Jalam Golden
Zach Laskey
Shaq Mason
DJ White
Freddie Burden
Harrison Butker
Qua Searcy
Andrew Marshall
Will Bryan
Brant Mitchell
TaQuon Marshall
Marcus Marshall
Parker Braun
Dedrick Mills
Kenny Cooper

Which of those players should we get rid of or gotten rid of because they don't play well enough? In my opinion none of them. I wouldn't get rid of some 2 and 3 star guys that haven't performed as well as these guys either. Some of the four and five star guys don't pan out at all. Some of the two and three star guys end up as All-Pro NFL players. Judging your team by what paid bloggers think is absolutely ridiculous.
How many of those guys played on the same team at the peak of their ability? The problem is getting enough of those guys all together on one team at the peak of their ability with no holes at any position group.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
How many of those guys played on the same team at the peak of their ability? The problem is getting enough of those guys all together on one team at the peak of their ability with no holes at any position group.

Timing is a big factor. I've always wished Jerry Mays would have had one more year and played on the '90 team. If Calvin could have played with Hamilton, I believe there would be two Heismans on display at BDS. Lots of other combinations that didn't quite come together.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Timing is a big factor. I've always wished Jerry Mays would have had one more year and played on the '90 team. If Calvin could have played with Hamilton, I believe there would be two Heismans on display at BDS. Lots of other combinations that didn't quite come together.
Exactly. It's like some guys want to put together a GT history all star team and say, "Look, we did it before...."

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely true. But if we think CJP can recruit 1 5*
out of 4 recruits in a year, why can’t CPJ recruit 1 or 2 out of 25?

Recognize that the competitive recruiting landscape in the two sports is also insanely different. We are in Atlanta. That is also either the biggest or second biggest alumni base for schools like UGA, Clemson, FSU, Florida, Auburn, and Alabama, and maybe Miami and Tennessee as well. Those factories are all pumping significantly more resources into recruiting than we are, have huge fan bases, and have histories of winning national championships in football. In basketball, they are all sort of after-thoughts, and most of their fans don't even know they have basketball teams.

In contrast, we are probably investing similar resources in basketball recruiting and have a history in basketball that is near the cream of the crop in our region of the country. The closest power houses like Duke, UNC, and Kentucky are all in the southeast, but none are particularly close or have as strong an alumni presence in Atlanta that those other football-centric schools do.

So, yes, the answer in my mind is that it is easier to recruit one 5* recruit per basketball class than one 5* recruit per football class, despite the total number of recruits.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Have we ever had a consensus 5* football recruit at Georgia Tech? My understanding is no. Even Calvin Johnson was only rated a 4* by Rivals (LINK).