Just heard Tstan on 680

jacob

Banned
He said that the academic rigor can't be used as a crutch. I hope CPJ heard that becuase he uses that as a crutch almost every week. And no I don't want CPJ to leave. Also they asked if being good was enough at GT and Tstan said no we want to win Championships.

Last edited:

Scubapro

Banned
I don't think PJ uses the academic rigors as a crutch...he has stated that the limited offering of Majors is an issue. If I had to guess the lack of a education major would be a problem since many of these kids want to coach after football.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
And I want to be the queen of England. But just wanting something doesn't make it easy or mean that there aren't real impediments to accomplishing my goal.

I just don't get this attitude about all "excuses" being weak or simply crutches for millennials. If I lose my arm in a car accident, that is a pretty legitimate reason why it might make it hard for me to make it in the NBA. Guess that would just be an "excuse" to some though. :meh:

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
He said that the academic rigor can't be used as a crutch. I hope CPJ heard that becuase he uses that as a crutch almost every week. And no I don't want CPJ to leave. Also they asked if being good was enough at GT and Tstan said no we want to win Championships.

Not sure I agree that CPJ uses it as a crutch. He’s just stating the obvious. Takes a special athlete to compete at Tech. Tech has limited majors compared to other institutes/universities. Look at the clemson starting D majors and see if Tech offers any of them. From what I remember there was a good amount of sports communication and parks and rec management and a couple pre-business. We have missed on the athletes that claim they want to be an engineer in school but once they get there I’d be curious what they actually major in. I think thats what CPJ is typically stating.

jacob

Banned
Not sure I agree that CPJ uses it as a crutch. He’s just stating the obvious. Takes a special athlete to compete at Tech. Tech has limited majors compared to other institutes/universities. Look at the clemson starting D majors and see if Tech offers any of them. From what I remember there was a good amount of sports communication and parks and rec management and a couple pre-business. We have missed on the athletes that claim they want to be an engineer in school but once they get there I’d be curious what they actually major in. I think thats what CPJ is typically stating.
Whatever, I'm just stating what the AD just said

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow

I gotcha but it’s hard for somebody to talk negatively about their employer publicly. Plus they have been making a push recently to embrace the academic rigors.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

Decided to look. Here is the comparison. A lot of the majors that the Clemson guys are taking aren't offered at Tech, and seemingly the hardest majors taken by the guys at Clemson are the easiest ones for the guys at Tech.

Clemson Defensive Line (2-deep):
Parks, recreation, and tourism management - Albert Huggins & Jabril Robinson
Sports Communication - Clelin Ferrell
Justice Studies - Dexter Lawrence
Sociology - Chris Register
Communication - Christian Wilkins
Pre-business - Austin Bryan & Xavier Kelly

Georgia Tech Offensive Line (2-deep):
Mechanical engineering - Bailey Ivemeyer
Business administration - Jahaziel Lee, Kenny Cooper, Will Bryan, Brad Morgan, Scott Morgan
Literature, media, communication - Parker Braun, Shamire Devine, Jake Stickler

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That the AD said it doesn't mean it's directed at the coach necessarily, right? Every AD at Tech since Johnson has said the same thing, right off the script, so what's the deal? Johnson himself has said acdemics is a recruiting tool and compares their targets with those at Navy. I do vaguely recall somewhere that some standards for football players had been reduced, but I'm not even sure of that. But: I don't care if the AD is Vince Lombardi getting directions from God, to boast about how tough the school is and then say that shouldn't affect recruiting has to mean, to paraphrase Johnson in another context, that person probably shouldn't go to Georgia Tech. It doesn't even make sense.

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think PJ uses the academic rigors as a crutch...he has stated that the limited offering of Majors is an issue. If I had to guess the lack of a education major would be a problem since many of these kids want to coach after football.
I’ve always thought that an education major(s) would complement the curriculum quite well. STEM or now as they call it “STEAM” educators are in high demand.

jacob

Banned
That the AD said it doesn't mean it's directed at the coach necessarily, right? Every AD at Tech since Johnson has said the same thing, right off the script, so what's the deal? Johnson himself has said acdemics is a recruiting tool and compares their targets with those at Navy. I do vaguely recall somewhere that some standards for football players had been reduced, but I'm not even sure of that. But: I don't care if the AD is Vince Lombardi getting directions from God, to boast about how tough the school is and then say that shouldn't affect recruiting has to mean, to paraphrase Johnson in another context, that person probably shouldn't go to Georgia Tech. It doesn't even make sense.
The host asked if graduating players and just being good is enough which i thought was actually pretty disrespectful to ask in the first place and Tstan said no and that he wants to win Championships so I'm just saying I hope CPJ heard that because he seems pretty content with top 50 recruiting classes.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Decided to look. Here is the comparison. A lot of the majors that the Clemson guys are taking aren't offered at Tech, and seemingly the hardest majors taken by the guys at Clemson are the easiest ones for the guys at Tech.

Business administration - Jahaziel Lee, Kenny Cooper, Will Bryan, Brad Morgan, Scott Morgan

Thanks! I was looking at that previously just out of curiosity. literature, media, communication still have to take calculus.

northgajacket

Banned

Ha!! Sociology

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow

I listened to the same interview. It was a bad question by Chuck Oliver. Just exactly what would you like the AD to say? “Georgia Tech can win nine or 10 games (in a season), but they will never do it consistently.” That was Dave Braine. Competing for championships would mean finishing in the Top 10 in national polls. How many times has Tech done that?

2006 and 2009 were both ACC championship appearances where we deserved to be there. 2012 was an anomaly where we didn't.

That's it. Over 50 years of football. In a world where UNC literally gets away with academic fraud. Yes, it matters. Take Nick Saban and bring him to Georgia Tech, and I guarantee he is no better than 8 wins a year.

I've accepted this. Season ticket holder for 10 years, and I'll go cheer on a team that does it the right way, with the hope that with all the obstacles piled against us that we just might surprise some people. 2014 was close. I think we can get back there, but Clemson and UGA aren't making it any easier.

jacob

Banned
I listened to the same interview. It was a bad question by Chuck Oliver. Just exactly what would you like the AD to say? “Georgia Tech can win nine or 10 games (in a season), but they will never do it consistently.” That was Dave Braine. Competing for championships would mean finishing in the Top 10 in national polls. How many times has Tech done that?

2006 and 2009 were both ACC championship appearances where we deserved to be there. 2012 was an anomaly where we didn't.

That's it. Over 50 years of football. In a world where UNC literally gets away with academic fraud. Yes, it matters. Take Nick Saban and bring him to Georgia Tech, and I guarantee he is no better than 8 wins a year.

I've accepted this. Season ticket holder for 10 years, and I'll go cheer on a team that does it the right way, with the hope that with all the obstacles piled against us that we just might surprise some people. 2014 was close. I think we can get back there, but Clemson and UGA aren't making it any easier.
Yikes that sucks that you've accepted that. Gotta be motivated and not content. Seems like you've got something in common with CPJ.

jacob

Banned

And I'm glad the AD doesn't think like you

northgajacket

Banned

You have to at least show confidence in trying to create a winning product. I imagine the players would not care to hear their AD or others say that Tech can't win consistently. As for the majors, you basically have to sell the school on the fact that their are other degrees beside Engineering ( albeit not much) and recruit guys who actually do care about school (believe it or not their are some top players who do care). I also believe some fans need to get rid of their pessimistic Eeyore personalities.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The host asked if graduating players and just being good is enough which i thought was actually pretty disrespectful to ask in the first place and Tstan said no and that he wants to win Championships so I'm just saying I hope CPJ heard that because he seems pretty content with top 50 recruiting classes.
I don't give a rats a** if Saban or any other coach was at Tech , how many players on uga, Clemson, or Alabama would have picked Tech to play at and how many players off those 3 schools could make it at Tech studying and playing football ? Do you really think any of them would be willing to work that hard ? Hell how many could even get into Tech ?

jacob

Banned
I don't give a rats a** if Saban or any other coach was at Tech , how many players on uga, Clemson, or Alabama would have picked Tech to play at and how many players off those 3 schools could make it at Tech studying and playing football ? Do you really think any of them would be willing to work that hard ? Hell how many could even get into Tech ?
Idk but we shouldn't be content being 4-3. Im just soooooooo glad Tstan doesnt think like a lot of you. He wants to win and thinks we can win.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think the idea that Coach uses academic rigor as a crutch is BS. I think TStan said it should not be used as a crutch because it’s not something that can change, it’s here to stay. Coach Johnson knows this and he deals with it doesn’t make it any easier. The idea that he is happy with 50th place recruiting classes is BS too.