Josh Pastner?

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Nuts to the “bring-in-Mark Price-idea.” Nice guy. Tech hero. NBA Star. NOT HEAD COACH MATERIAL.
100% joking I've said on multiple occasions Pastner deserves 4-5 more years. Even then that Mark would need to be a 5 NCAA appearances in 6 years at a Charlotte level for me to be interested in the thought of bringing him in as a head coach. I'm 100% on Pastner's bandwagon.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
My only problem is how long could this play out.

Yeah. I'd imagine GT's investigation could probably be quick. The courts are a different story. I suspect Josh's lawyers will push for swift resolution and Bell/Pendley's will try to gum up the works and slow play everything. Hopefully, this will be a sign to the judge or jury that they are full of it. Then there's the added layer of the NCAA, which we know isn't always rational in dealing with schools like us and may want to flex their muscle after letting UNC skate. It's bad news all the way around, but our best hope is that Josh is 100 percent in the right and can clear this up. If not, shut off the lights at McCamish (figuratively) and put all our hopes in football.

Last edited:

crut

Helluva Engineer
This whole story is just weird. You would think he would have better judgement than to allow this toxic guy to be around college kids. Stansbury has a tough (or maybe not so tough) decision to make. After a promising year last year, the whole program has gone in the toilet and is a joke. Where is the light at the end of the tunnel? Not sure I would send my kid to play for him.
Ok. Gotta be Ron.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not so much what you said...you have been rational throughout. But there have been a small handful of other folks....whew!

Yeah, I'm bowing out of this discussion. I'm already branded half-crazy 'round these parts. I don't wanna be seen as full-crazy .. yet

100% joking I've said on multiple occasions Pastner deserves 4-5 more years. Even then that Mark would need to be a 5 NCAA appearances in 6 years at a Charlotte level for me to be interested in the thought of bringing him in as a head coach. I'm 100% on Pastner's bandwagon.

He was fired by Char a few weeks ago.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. I'd imagine GT's investigation could probably be quick. The courts are a different story. I suspect Josh's lawyers will push for swift resolution and Bell/Pendley's will try to gum up the works and slow play everything. Hopefully, this will be a sign to the judge or jury that they are full of it. Then there's the added layer of the NCAA, which we know isn't always rational in dealing with schools like us and may want to flex their muscle after letting UNC skate. It's bad news all the way around, but our best hope is that Josh is 100 percent in the right and can clear this up. If not, shut off the lights at McCamish (figuratively) and put all our hopes in football.
Let me ask you! If this were to take a long time do you think it would have much of a negative effect on our existing team, recruits, media, and fan base?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This whole story is just weird. You would think he would have better judgement than to allow this toxic guy to be around college kids. Stansbury has a tough (or maybe not so tough) decision to make. After a promising year last year, the whole program has gone in the toilet and is a joke. Where is the light at the end of the tunnel? Not sure I would send my kid to play for him.

Stansbury decision is beyond easy, unless something credible comes out of the allegations by Pendley you allow Pastner to continue his rebuild plans. To fire him now would cost GT $10MM and likely set GT back 4-5 more years as GT would still not have any money to spend and coaches would have no interest in going to a program where a coach was terminated after 2 yrs in a known rebuild.

Fans are too down on this year just like they were too up about last year. Neither weighs particularly heavy on the long term. I am no more discouraged about the long term after this season than I was excited about the long term after last season. Recruiting looks solid for the long term and this season pretty much anything that could go wrong did - some of it Pastner's fault, some of it not.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I did not catch the sarcasm. That’s my B

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Stansbury decision is beyond easy, unless something credible comes out of the allegations by Pendley you allow Pastner to continue his rebuild plans. To fire him now would cost GT $10MM and likely set GT back 4-5 more years as GT would still not have any money to spend and coaches would have no interest in going to a program where a coach was terminated after 2 yrs in a known rebuild.

Fans are too down on this year just like they were too up about last year. Neither weighs particularly heavy on the long term. I am no more discouraged about the long term after this season than I was excited about the long term after last season. Recruiting looks solid for the long term and this season pretty much anything that could go wrong did - some of it Pastner's fault, some of it not.
Ramblin I believe you are the most knowledgeable fan that I know of so do you think if this does stir around for a year or 2 Pastner could still build a very good team?

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I feel like people need to keep being reminded, this is a lawsuit. Not a criminal court case. If there was a shred of evidence for the allegations wouldn't the police be involved? This is a huge distraction to the team and the program. I for one hope the outcome of this case is very public. Either Pastner did it and deserves everything that's coming to him or Ron and his girlfriend end up filing for bankruptcy with their names dragged through the mud. Obviously option 2 is my preferred route.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ramblin I believe you are the most knowledgeable fan that I know of so do you think if this does stir around for a year or 2 Pastner could still build a very good team?

yes i do. It's hardly a guarantee either way right now. I was the one who wrote emails to the board asking them not to hire Pastner, but i've been pleased for the most part with his plans and execution to this point.
Whether he is successful long term will depend upon his first 4 recruiting classes.
I'm not worried about the fanbase. If you start winning that will take care of itself.

He will have to deal with it on the recruiting trail but unless something credible pops up I suspect he will be able to answer any questions the kids and their parents have and frankly most of them are going to be concerned about 2 things - how much playing time can I get and will you be there.

I like his first class ,especially given how far behind GT started in trying to build it. It has 2 players I fully believe are ACC quality in Jose and Curtis. It has 2 players that i'll judge once they get to their JR yr - which is when they are really expected to start contributing. I will say both look better as FR than AD did.
The 2018 class I like and on paper is probably the best class GT has brought in in 5 yrs. Devoe is a likely starter from day 1. Sjolund is really well liked on the international scene were he has played alot more than AAU ball. His film shows someone who is a strong and confident shooter and one who also goes to the whole aggresively. Likely will need to add weight, but like his long term potential. Moore has looked really good in his more recent film and is a fabulous athlete. Phillips at worst case should be an ACC level contributor (20 mpg), if he has continued to develop while at GT he could be more than that.

2019 is probably a 3 man class and they have had 5 Top 150 kids in the last 2 weekends from that class, so even with losing Labarrie they have been able to re-calibrate and get seriously involved with some very good kids.

Pastner may succeed or fail, it's too early to tell, but I honestly don't think this stuff that is going on right now is going to be the determining factor.

This year has been ridiculous. Fans like to focus on the Josh and Tad suspensions but in a large sense those were almost negligible in the outcome of the season.
Tad missed 3 games. GT went 2-1 in those games, but that would have been the expectation regardless.
Josh missed 9 games, That was 3 more than his suspension due to his injury. Remember his injury occurred in a pre-season exhibition game that GT had to get special permission from the NCAA to stage for Hurricane relief. It wasn't even on the schedule until a couple days before hand. If you don't play that game maybe Josh doesn't get injured and only misses 6 games instead of 9.

Lammers looks like an All American his first 2 games (i thought he might be a 20-12 guy based on them), but gets hurt and is never the same. The ankle injury lingers (he literally doesn't practice for 5 weeks) and now he has a knee issue (which I wonder if it was caused by the ankle and overcompensating).

Haywood is starting, avg over 30 mpg and 10 ppg and shooting 50% from the field and gets hurt. He tries to come back, the leg isn't really ready and they have to shut him down for the year. He was the best shooter and second best ballhandler on the team.

Justin Moore is likely going to transfer after the season and in order to help retain some eligibility for him the staff basically agrees to not play him after Christmas, taking one more option off the table.

Alvarado has a very good year for a FR in the ACC, even better as an ACC PG, but gets hurt.

Ogbonda is praised over the summer for his work and coaches say he had the best summer of any player on the team. He gets hurt in fall practice and has barely played. Reveno was quoted in an article recently about how hard it has been to watch Ogbonda because he is still working really hard, but just hasn't been healthy enough to contribute to the team.

So we are left now with a team with no PG, no shooters, and a big man who is a shell of what he was last year and his backup is hurt. That is going to look ugly and it does.

Only the Tad 3 games missed is directly related to the situation with Bell. Everything else is just things that happened. Some years things go your way and some years they do not and this year they have definitely not.

One last thought on the Bell situation, while Pastner deserves alot of blame there and he has to understand how careful you have to be about who you allow close to the program, Josh and Tad have to take some responsibility for their actions as well. They go through training every year on what is allowed. Bell mentioned in an interview last fall that he tried to get to know the best players on the team. That it isn't hard to figure out who that is. Bell mentioned that Ben wouldn't talk to him at all, wouldn't give him the time of day. josh and Tad could have done the same. They also could have let GT and Pastner know about the trip as soon as they got back. If they had, then GT and Pastner likely tell the NCAA then and they still get suspended, but Bell no longer has any real extortion grounds once he turns on Pastner a few months later.
Most programs have guys that hang around the program - that is not that unusual, but you have to make sure it is guys that will never hurt your program. I also wonder if having coached in Memphis clouded Pastner's judgement. The expectation there is you are going to recruit players from Memphis, and the hanger ons are expected to be allowed in the program and have some say. Cal was able to largely keep that at bay because he won so much. Pastner as a first time coach at 31 was under alot more pressure there to allow these hanger ons and guys who felt they are important to be around the program and the team there. It in no way excludes him from any blame, but unfortunately it maybe is a tough lesson learned.

I think there are 2 outcomes that are most likely from the off court stuff. If the allegations claims are not credible, then Pastner stays, it is an ugly year, but you move on and put it in the past. If the allegations have any credibility he will be fired with cause which will allow GT to go make another hire without money restrictions.
i am also not in any way worried about the NCAA right now. They have already handed down the punishment for the violations for Tad and Josh, nothing else is coming there. The Labarrie thing, who knows, but my guess right now is that with him resigning that is likely all that will happen. I'm not expecting GT to take any restrictions out of it. GT is planning on hiring another asst after the season is concluded.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
yes i do. It's hardly a guarantee either way right now. I was the one who wrote emails to the board asking them not to hire Pastner, but i've been pleased for the most part with his plans and execution to this point.
Whether he is successful long term will depend upon his first 4 recruiting classes.
I'm not worried about the fanbase. If you start winning that will take care of itself.

He will have to deal with it on the recruiting trail but unless something credible pops up I suspect he will be able to answer any questions the kids and their parents have and frankly most of them are going to be concerned about 2 things - how much playing time can I get and will you be there.

I like his first class ,especially given how far behind GT started in trying to build it. It has 2 players I fully believe are ACC quality in Jose and Curtis. It has 2 players that i'll judge once they get to their JR yr - which is when they are really expected to start contributing. I will say both look better as FR than AD did.
The 2018 class I like and on paper is probably the best class GT has brought in in 5 yrs. Devoe is a likely starter from day 1. Sjolund is really well liked on the international scene were he has played alot more than AAU ball. His film shows someone who is a strong and confident shooter and one who also goes to the whole aggresively. Likely will need to add weight, but like his long term potential. Moore has looked really good in his more recent film and is a fabulous athlete. Phillips at worst case should be an ACC level contributor (20 mpg), if he has continued to develop while at GT he could be more than that.

2019 is probably a 3 man class and they have had 5 Top 150 kids in the last 2 weekends from that class, so even with losing Labarrie they have been able to re-calibrate and get seriously involved with some very good kids.

Pastner may succeed or fail, it's too early to tell, but I honestly don't think this stuff that is going on right now is going to be the determining factor.

This year has been ridiculous. Fans like to focus on the Josh and Tad suspensions but in a large sense those were almost negligible in the outcome of the season.
Tad missed 3 games. GT went 2-1 in those games, but that would have been the expectation regardless.
Josh missed 9 games, That was 3 more than his suspension due to his injury. Remember his injury occurred in a pre-season exhibition game that GT had to get special permission from the NCAA to stage for Hurricane relief. It wasn't even on the schedule until a couple days before hand. If you don't play that game maybe Josh doesn't get injured and only misses 6 games instead of 9.

Lammers looks like an All American his first 2 games (i thought he might be a 20-12 guy based on them), but gets hurt and is never the same. The ankle injury lingers (he literally doesn't practice for 5 weeks) and now he has a knee issue (which I wonder if it was caused by the ankle and overcompensating).

Haywood is starting, avg over 30 mpg and 10 ppg and shooting 50% from the field and gets hurt. He tries to come back, the leg isn't really ready and they have to shut him down for the year. He was the best shooter and second best ballhandler on the team.

Justin Moore is likely going to transfer after the season and in order to help retain some eligibility for him the staff basically agrees to not play him after Christmas, taking one more option off the table.

Alvarado has a very good year for a FR in the ACC, even better as an ACC PG, but gets hurt.

Ogbonda is praised over the summer for his work and coaches say he had the best summer of any player on the team. He gets hurt in fall practice and has barely played. Reveno was quoted in an article recently about how hard it has been to watch Ogbonda because he is still working really hard, but just hasn't been healthy enough to contribute to the team.

So we are left now with a team with no PG, no shooters, and a big man who is a shell of what he was last year and his backup is hurt. That is going to look ugly and it does.

Only the Tad 3 games missed is directly related to the situation with Bell. Everything else is just things that happened. Some years things go your way and some years they do not and this year they have definitely not.

One last thought on the Bell situation, while Pastner deserves alot of blame there and he has to understand how careful you have to be about who you allow close to the program, Josh and Tad have to take some responsibility for their actions as well. They go through training every year on what is allowed. Bell mentioned in an interview last fall that he tried to get to know the best players on the team. That it isn't hard to figure out who that is. Bell mentioned that Ben wouldn't talk to him at all, wouldn't give him the time of day. josh and Tad could have done the same. They also could have let GT and Pastner know about the trip as soon as they got back. If they had, then GT and Pastner likely tell the NCAA then and they still get suspended, but Bell no longer has any real extortion grounds once he turns on Pastner a few months later.
Most programs have guys that hang around the program - that is not that unusual, but you have to make sure it is guys that will never hurt your program. I also wonder if having coached in Memphis clouded Pastner's judgement. The expectation there is you are going to recruit players from Memphis, and the hanger ons are expected to be allowed in the program and have some say. Cal was able to largely keep that at bay because he won so much. Pastner as a first time coach at 31 was under alot more pressure there to allow these hanger ons and guys who felt they are important to be around the program and the team there. It in no way excludes him from any blame, but unfortunately it maybe is a tough lesson learned.

I think there are 2 outcomes that are most likely from the off court stuff. If the allegations claims are not credible, then Pastner stays, it is an ugly year, but you move on and put it in the past. If the allegations have any credibility he will be fired with cause which will allow GT to go make another hire without money restrictions.
i am also not in any way worried about the NCAA right now. They have already handed down the punishment for the violations for Tad and Josh, nothing else is coming there. The Labarrie thing, who knows, but my guess right now is that with him resigning that is likely all that will happen. I'm not expecting GT to take any restrictions out of it. GT is planning on hiring another asst after the season is concluded.
I agree 100%. Thanks for posting.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just to extend a little, I would be floored if the GT IC report doesn't come out over the summer. Ron and girlfriend are not going to cooperate but it will be a key document for CJP's tenure going forward. And one that he can use in recruiting if it comes out clean as I and most rational folks expect. The lawsuit timing is less clear but I expect a lot of pressure to at least start discovery to see if the more salacious items such as the T shirt actually exist. Even just starting discovery, finding there is no physical evidence and reducing this to a he said/ they said issue gets this further off any news cycle and out of any recruiting issue. No physical evidence also leads to motions to dismiss and things like that.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just to extend a little, I would be floored if the GT IC report doesn't come out over the summer. Ron and girlfriend are not going to cooperate but it will be a key document for CJP's tenure going forward. And one that he can use in recruiting if it comes out clean as I and most rational folks expect. The lawsuit timing is less clear but I expect a lot of pressure to at least start discovery to see if the more salacious items such as the T shirt actually exist. Even just starting discovery, finding there is no physical evidence and reducing this to a he said/ they said issue gets this further off any news cycle and out of any recruiting issue. No physical evidence also leads to motions to dismiss and things like that.
If the T-shirt actually exists and has semen on it that matches Josh's DNA, the story ends right there. But, I cannot imagine Josh would have allowed this to become public if there was any chance that was true. That would be akin to jumping off the cliff when the posse is not actually chasing you.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If the T-shirt actually exists and has semen on it that matches Josh's DNA, the story ends right there. But, I cannot imagine Josh would have allowed this to become public if there was any chance that was true. That would be akin to jumping off the cliff when the posse is not actually chasing you.

No argument. That is probably grounds for criminal charges and without a doubt "cause" for GT to fire him.

On the other side, I really don't expect it exists and it needs to be smoked out.

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
yes i do. It's hardly a guarantee either way right now. I was the one who wrote emails to the board asking them not to hire Pastner, but i've been pleased for the most part with his plans and execution to this ...

Excellent analysis, RamblinRed. What are your thought on this aspect? Jackets need to hire a good and competent replacement for DLab. Usually those kind of hires are done tangential to the Coaches Meetings at the NCAA TOURNAMENT. Given the ongoing investigation by Tech, there is at least a temporary cloud over Pastner’s head. How difficult will it be to find a good DLab replacement under the circumstances. Will a GOOD assistant be willing to come to Tech until Josh is, for lack of a better word, ‘exonerated’?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I have a good friend here whose wife is a coach. They are very guarded about who is in their inner circle and what is discussed. Obviously pastner was too open with who he allowed in. Bet he is more cautious in the future.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Questions I have: will the current recruits stay , or recind their commitments? If this investigation continues for several months will Stansbury say that it is too damaging to Tech's future and pull he plug? If Pastner is found to have no involment will the stink continue to harm the program long term?

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Questions I have: will the current recruits stay , or recind their commitments? If this investigation continues for several months will Stansbury say that it is too damaging to Tech's future and pull he plug? If Pastner is found to have no involment will the stink continue to harm the program long term?
I have already asked those same questions. Go back several replies and you will see a nice long reply by Ramblin Red