Josh Pastner?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Gold do you know anything about extreme wrong doing with sexual offenses that are being investigated with legal law suits against a person head of a business and what those consequences could do with a lengthy amount of time. Yes he may make through, but how much damage to the business could be forth coming.

I'm assuming English isn't a first language?

LibertyTurns

Banned
Barring additional off the court issues, Pastner will get his opportunity to turn all of this around. I still believe that his job will be much more difficult due to the inevitable negative recruiting that he will face.

Unfortunately, the impact of all this might play out in slow motion in front of us for a few more years. Preview of discussion in a couple of years: "Sure his record is bad, but he might finally have all of the negative off the court publicity behind him. What will the lack of an extension due to recruiting? Do we double down on a guy with a poor track record?"

Clearly, his associations have put his career and the program in peril and it is not an enjoyable line of discussion. I hope it is resolved and Pastner has success with the GT basketball program, but the odds are not in his favor.
Great job explaining what’s likely about to happen.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Keep in mind this is likely to not be resolved quickly (though I suspect Pastner's lawyers will push for it to move fast). First, if it does eventually go to a trial, that can take years to get to - the U.S. Justice system is designed to make it hard to get to trial.
Some states keep good records of this, others not so good, but different states show rates of anywhere from 0.5%-5% of cases making it to trial. Roughly 10% get settled out of court and the rest just tend to disappear after a while (it is also expensive to go through the Justice system).

Also, this is not something that will be top of mind every day. Most of the time I expect to hear nothing.

Finally, while some will certainly use it in recruiting, it is not the biggest recruiting obstacle we will have to overcome. That will be the fact that GT has been largely a bottom of the ACC team for over a decade. That will have a bigger impact with recruits than this case.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind this is likely to not be resolved quickly (though I suspect Pastner's lawyers will push for it to move fast). First, if it does eventually go to a trial, that can take years to get to - the U.S. Justice system is designed to make it hard to get to trial.
Some states keep good records of this, others not so good, but different states show rates of anywhere from 0.5%-5% of cases making it to trial. Roughly 10% get settled out of court and the rest just tend to disappear after a while (it is also expensive to go through the Justice system).

Also, this is not something that will be top of mind every day. Most of the time I expect to hear nothing.

Finally, while some will certainly use it in recruiting, it is not the biggest recruiting obstacle we will have to overcome. That will be the fact that GT has been largely a bottom of the ACC team for over a decade. That will have a bigger impact with recruits than this case.
Thank you Red!

Gold1

Helluva Engineer

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Good gracious.... After reading this I would be very surprised if Pastner is around for next year. As soon as pre trial rolls around and the slightest bit of damaging evidence comes out. GT will lay the hammer on Pastner. This is just been a nightmare of a season on and off the court. Please bring on the offseason!

https://www.si.com/college-basketba...sh-pastner-lawsuit-sexual-assault-allegations
This article is what got me so concerned! Everyone of you should read this.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
flipped off the ignore button (for some unknown reason)

If youre concerned about the content of that article youre just overly concerned and hunting for drama. In my eyes that article clearly paints some of you gu.....I mean....Ron....is an unfavorable light. If that is indeed an accurate telling of how things went down, it clearly looks like extortion, especially the timeline of events that led to the assault allegation.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I've read that article, gives me no more pause than anything we already knew.
Author doesn't even seem to realize that the NCAA violations have already been adjucated and the NCAA has already refused to look into the assault allegations.

Either something credible will come out of the lawsuit and that will give GT the ability to change coaches without penalty, or nothing credible will come out and Pastner will stay and the drama will end either way when it is over.

The fact that Ron decided to go after both GT and Pastner (demanding for money from both) probably made it more likely Pastner stays as he basically helps push them together from a legal standpoint.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
things are in place to bring this to a head. Only question is timing.

this summer will yield the internal GT report. Can't imagine it takes longer than that as Ron and Ellie May will not cooperate so it is only Pastner and folks they can get to. Step one.

The question beyond that is what the discovery process both finds and causes in the dueling lawsuits. IMHO that process should start this summer and things like the stained shirt should be smoked out. Again, assuming that CJP either has offered or is required to share everything from discovery with GT then the road to fish or cut bait is not the whole time to a trial. FWIW, the other part of discovery is it is an expensive event as lawyers are intimately involved and it has a way of clarifying whether suits are going to go forward. Either Ron has to step up and fund his legal team or his legal team has to believe there is a good case here that they are willing to go on contingency. I will yield to the true legal beagles but IMHO the discovery process will be "clarifying".

I hope CJP's legal team can get that started this summer as well. They certainly will be pushing for it. But I don't claim to know the certainty of being able to get it started.

Regardless, the process is underway to make part of the fanbase happy and fire CJP for cause or make the other at this point larger part of the fanbase happy and clear him. Freaking out about it is only feeding the pressure Ron hopes to put on CJP to settle and let him run away with some cash.