Joe Hamilton on 680

Status
Not open for further replies.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
we can argue who inherited what and all that but let's be honest, the 2007 class was the best recruiting class ranking wise in the modern era wasnt it? I think it backed it up with lots of NFL games played (and still being played) by the people in that class, probably more than any other single class.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Whiskey I appreciate your passion but question your evaluation of talent. That 07 class was special. With that said if this team has 8 kids on it with legitimate careers in the NFL I will happily eat my words. For the record none of Johnson’s teams since 11 have been close to that.

The 07 class was special. I have never said it wasn’t. I’m not contending the 18 class will be as good. Attempting to grade it now in any manner is what is foolish. That was my point.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
we can argue who inherited what and all that but let's be honest, the 2007 class was the best recruiting class ranking wise in the modern era wasnt it? I think it backed it up with lots of NFL games played by the people in that class, probably more than any other single class.

O’Leary had some classes that were ranked higher around the turn of the century. The one with Daryl Smith and Key Fox was certainly rated higher. But you are right in it was far better than our normal year.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
well we play more games now don't we? so more chances to get more wins... fair point?

We also play more alcorn states, Jax States, MTSU's, Gardner Webb, Bowling Green,
South Carolina State, western carolina, presbyterian, etc ... i would say high probability of winning those when you schedule them..?

How many times in 11 season did we finish the season ranked in the top 25 final poll, any final poll? I am curious, I do not know... to me that is more of a barometer of how we were each season

How many Orange Bowls did we go to? How many top 10 finishes? Those are things the majority of the football world thought Tech could never do.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
O’Leary had some classes that were ranked higher around the turn of the century. The one with Daryl Smith and Key Fox was certainly rated higher. But you are right in it was far better than our normal year.

yeah but thats when none of us went to class .... or at least thats what some "experts" like to proclaim on these forums these days! LOL

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
we can argue who inherited what and all that but let's be honest, the 2007 class was the best recruiting class ranking wise in the modern era wasnt it? I think it backed it up with lots of NFL games played (and still being played) by the people in that class, probably more than any other single class.

And?

well we play more games now don't we? so more chances to get more wins... fair point?

We also play more alcorn states, Jax States, MTSU's, Gardner Webb, Bowling Green,
South Carolina State, western carolina, presbyterian, etc ... i would say high probability of winning those when you schedule them..?

How many times in 11 season did we finish the season ranked in the top 25 final poll, any final poll? I am curious, I do not know... to me that is more of a barometer of how we were each season

Well, let's just look at 1990 for an example while we actually played a fairly good schedule we beat....Chattanooga, a 4-7 Georgia team a 5-6 Va Tech team etc. Duke was not great and Wake was not. We can examine every season and find this to be the case. CPJ has a wining record against Fla State......show me that with another coach. he is 4-4 against top 10 teams.......keep digging.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Well, let's just look at 1990 for an example while we actually played a fairly good schedule we beat....Chattanooga, a 4-7 Georgia team a 5-6 Va Tech team etc. Duke was not great and Wake was not. We can examine every season and find this to be the case. CPJ has a wining record against Fla State......show me that with another coach. he is 4-4 against top 10 teams.......keep digging.

I’m trying to figure out the angle in which saying a coach with a winning percentage below his 2 predecessors is the greatest coach in 50 years at our program. It just doesn’t make sense to me.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
top 10?
How many Orange Bowls did we go to? How many top 10 finishes? Those are things the majority of the football world thought Tech could never do.
NEVER DO ? finish in the top 10? Never is a long time

Attachments

• 1998.JPG
    1998.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 28
And just FYI, in 2015 we had the 39th best recruiting class, those guys we have playing right now

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

yeah but thats when none of us went to class .... or at least thats what some "experts" like to proclaim on these forums these days! LOL

Graduation rate. Maybe guys going pro factored into the low rate. But the rate is what it is. And that leads to some perceptions. The expert you are in contention with went through shortly after you must have. Maybe he heard some things whether they were correct or not.

But I thought O’Leary had assistants do class checks on players to make sure they attended. Did he do that for a reason or just to show he was boss?

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

Does it bother you some fans run down what you guys did in an effort to make Johnson look better?

I mean, I believe you were on an ACC championship team weren’t you?

I’m trying to figure out the angle in which saying a coach with a winning percentage below his 2 predecessors is the greatest coach in 50 years at our program. It just doesn’t make sense to me.
His two predessesors never went to the Orange Bowl, won the ACC, had 11 win seasons, had 5 8 or better win seasons. Gailey, never beat Georgia or Fla State. Oleary never beat Fla State.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
i can tell you that none of the FSU teams CPJ played were comparable to the FSU teams that were consistently top 5 in the 80s through the 90s...
Show me another coach who beat UGA 3 in a row? show me the last coach who beat UGA at bobby dodd? Show me the last coach to finish 5 straight seasons ranked in the top 25...
we can cherry pick all day

are you pissing on the 1990 team as well?

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
His two predessesors never went to the Orange Bowl, won the ACC, had 11 win seasons, had 5 8 or better win seasons. Gailey, never beat Georgia or Fla State. Oleary never beat Fla State.

Well the ACC wasn’t tied into the Orange under Okeary or we would have went. We won the ACC in 98. O’Leary beat uga 3 years in a row.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
top 10?

NEVER DO ? finish in the top 10? Never is a long time

We finished in the top 10 in 2014, too.

Nate, I was in school at the same time as you. Loved those years, but let's be honest, it was a different time.

Duke sucked. We played Wake Forest. Clemson wasn't Clemson. Uga was coached by Jim Donnan. There was no APR. Miami and VT weren't on the schedule.

The landscape has changed, and GT allowed itself to fall behind relative to our competition.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

UVA was the best team in the country in 90 before injuries ravaged their roster. Clemson was very good also.

i can tell you that none of the FSU teams CPJ played were comparable to the FSU teams that were consistently top 5 in the 80s through the 90s...
Show me another coach who beat UGA 3 in a row? show me the last coach who beat UGA at bobby dodd? Show me the last coach to finish 5 straight seasons ranked in the top 25...
we can cherry pick all day

are you pissing on the 1990 team as well?

lol, we didn't play FSU in the 80's. Oh, and that 3-9 Tech team beat and undefeated FSU Team headed for the play offs. Not pissing of the 1990 team, just pointing out that is wasn't like we played murders row, like in 2015 playing FSU, Georgia, ND, Clemson etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.