Joe Hamilton on 680

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s funny when they talk about the Type of men we devolope, then they will talk down on one of the greatest to ever put on that gold helmet because he didn’t like the Triple Option.

I’m totally fine with him not like the triple option. I just want to know why he’s opposed to CPJ coaching bowl game. I can’t see any logical reason he shouldn’t. Not like the alternative is for the new coach to coach it.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Why wouldn't it be good for CPJ to coach the bowl game? It takes pressure of a new hire to not have to get the team ready for a bowl and it let's coach who has gave us his all go off with one last good game. I love Hamilton the player, but some of the things he says just seems like he's just talking to talk.

Just his opinion, but he is special in GT football history.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I wish someone else could chime in who heard it. I am no good at providing links and I was driving and had to post later.

I think the one poster is correct when he thought it might be recruiting related somehow.

I don’t think Joe said CPJ should not coach the bowl game , but just wondered aloud if it might be best.

Biggest thing to me was the “vomit” comment and the timing of it was kind of funny.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
So lets recap:

1) Don't hire another TO coach.
2) Hiring a non-TO coach will be a difficult transition.

Well, the reverse happened with CPJ:
1) Don't hire that TO system.
2) Hiring that new system will be a difficult transition.

Thanks for your input Joe. Respect you as a GT guy, but come on man. Relentless positivity please.

Personally, I think we need to move on just like we did with Russell. But I will be firmly behind whoever we choose to hire. And if its a new offense, I think we'll be fine. We have TEs. But we don't need a TE either. I think a lot of our guys are actually better suited for a slightly different offense - James Graham, Lucas Johnson, our incoming QBs, even folks like Nate Cottrell - man, you play in an offense where there aren't 9 guys on the line and let Nate get open in some space - shew. Adonicas Sanders, Stephen Dolphus, Jair - those burners would be fine too. Line me up some Juanyeh in a 4/5 receiver set.
The most salient thing Johnson said -- didn't listen, read some transcripts -- was that these guys are football players and most didn't play option in HS. They can learn any system. I mean, really, football ain't rocketeering. Reduced to its basics it is hit the other fellow before he hits you. If Johnson can convert a tight end to offensive tackle, then a tackle can be converted to tight end. And there aren't half a dozen tight ends we know by name anyway. They block. Once in awhile to keep the defense honest they get 10 yards down field and turn around. the ones you hear about are the outliers, the real athletes who block, run, catch, run vertical routes .. like one in 50 will do. That position is not a problem. QB and RB may be because Tech's spread option pony backs are not going to survive between the tackles. Do we have or have we recruited one? The early signing date becomes very important this year. Who bails, who waits to decide? (And apropos of nothing, I have nothing against Whisenhunt, really. but please. No NFL retreads like Gailey. lIt is now a given that the real offensive innovations in football come out of college, not the pros. The No Fun League would just be no fun.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
So lets recap:

1) Don't hire another TO coach.
2) Hiring a non-TO coach will be a difficult transition.

Well, the reverse happened with CPJ:
1) Don't hire that TO system.
2) Hiring that new system will be a difficult transition.

Thanks for your input Joe. Respect you as a GT guy, but come on man. Relentless positivity please.

Personally, I think we need to move on just like we did with Russell. But I will be firmly behind whoever we choose to hire. And if its a new offense, I think we'll be fine. We have TEs. But we don't need a TE either. I think a lot of our guys are actually better suited for a slightly different offense - James Graham, Lucas Johnson, our incoming QBs, even folks like Nate Cottrell - man, you play in an offense where there aren't 9 guys on the line and let Nate get open in some space - shew. Adonicas Sanders, Stephen Dolphus, Jair - those burners would be fine too. Line me up some Juanyeh in a 4/5 receiver set.
Just remember, if we win the next two years, the new coach doesn't get credit because he won with CPJ's players.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I respect what he did on the field. That doesn’t cover has butt for stupid things he does off it.
Yeah but everyone makes mistakes and he paid for it, no need to bring it up in a football discussion.
Former Tech players dislike and like different coaches. Wasn’t a former player a big proponent of ousting Gailey? He actually put money behind it. Joe is just giving his opinion.
Joe Hamilton did more for Tech football than anyone on this board. I want to know what the man thinks.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
All Joe Ham did was feed raw meat to the anti-CPJ/anti-3O crowd
Does Joe not remember the 3O being a small part of Ralph’s offensive package?

I’m sure he does. I’m sure he also remembers that he ran it better on those small parts than guys CPJ had for four years and could still throw it like the best quarterback in college football instead of looking A middle schooler.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Keep in mind folks that we do have a rule against personal attacks on current and former players.

And some may be surprised to know that the same rule applies for current and former staff although I may need to tweak the wording to exclude a certain administrator that decided to leave Tech to take a job at a school whose name rhymes with Birddoo. :unsure:

GT_EE78

Banned
IN HIS OPINION -& best I can recall

If we hire another TO coach he will vomit.

In referencing CPJ presser (regarding the kids on campus now) comments that the players on campus now grew up as football players and could adjust to other systems, Joe said it would Not be that easy. Mainly due to W/R and having to get a TE. But best for GT to make system change.

CPJ should go out as he wishes, but wonders about the wisdom of letting him coach bowl game.

In talking about a coaches temperment, that GO'L was his favorite. "He was a Grinch, but he was my Grinch"

Best I can quickly recall, but others may have better summary.

Interesting regardless.
why does anyone care what these substance abuse guys have to say? does he think he's hollywood or something and want us to watch him vomit too?

Status
Not open for further replies.