Joe Hamilton on 680

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
lol, we didn't play FSU in the 80's. Oh, and that 3-9 Tech team beat and undefeated FSU Team headed for the play offs. Not pissing of the 1990 team, just pointing out that is wasn't like we played murders row, like in 2015 playing FSU, Georgia, ND, Clemson etc.
Georgia wasn’t ranked in 15. Do you watch football?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
i can tell you that none of the FSU teams CPJ played were comparable to the FSU teams that were consistently top 5 in the 80s through the 90s...
Show me another coach who beat UGA 3 in a row? show me the last coach who beat UGA at bobby dodd? Show me the last coach to finish 5 straight seasons ranked in the top 25...
we can cherry pick all day

are you pissing on the 1990 team as well?

I agree with all of these points. And I always thought O’Leary could take us to the promised land. Felt the same about CPJ.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Honestly they probably don’t want to hear how poor many on this board claim this job to be. If your concerned about the perception of the program, quit trying to spin what we have in s negative to manner to make Johnson look better.

Literally the only negative thing I brought up about the job aside from Joe’s comments was our record against UGA the last 50 years. Please tell me which bright young coach doesn’t know that we are the second biggest football program in our state?

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
We finished in the top 10 in 2014, too.

Nate, I was in school at the same time as you. Loved those years, but let's be honest, it was a different time.

Duke sucked. We played Wake Forest. Clemson wasn't Clemson. Uga was coached by Jim Donnan. There was no APR. Miami and VT weren't on the schedule.

The landscape has changed, and GT allowed itself to fall behind relative to our competition.
Regarding the ACC in the 90s...I hate posts like this, you cannot compare different eras...UNC and UVA were way better than now, so what?
You try to cheapen older teams success because of this or that, we had a schedule, we played it, and FYI there was no DIV 1-AA fluff on the schedule ...
Any of our teams in the last 20 years would've pounded DODD"s best teams, so what? the players are bigger, faster, stronger... the game has evolved...

again comparing conferences and teams 20 years apart is futile

I agree with all of these points. And I always thought O’Leary could take us to the promised land. Felt the same about CPJ.
I think if CRF had stayed and we had gotten a better D coordinator, yes. I loved O'Leary but fact was CRF made him just like he made CBR. And by the way CRF, had the base play as the TO

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Literally the only negative thing I brought up about the job aside from Joe’s comments was our record against UGA the last 50 years. Please tell me which bright young coach doesn’t know that we are the second biggest football program in our state?

My bad. Must have confused you with someone else.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Hmmm. The polls state otherwise. O’Leary finished his career at Tech with 5 straight top 25 finishes. More than Johnson had in his 11 years.
I think Oleary was great, but one of those years he was 7-5 and we were ranked. That would never happen today. Even the 8-4 year would be a stretch but possible.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
My bad. Must have confused you with someone else.
Fair enough.

Kinda sucks the fans are so split on this. We all want the same thing: Tech to be successful. Contrary to what some people say, I don’t believe anti-CPJ people rooted against Tech and I don’t believe pro-CPJ people will root against Tech. We’re all Tech fans.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Regarding the ACC in the 90s...I hate posts like this, you cannot compare different eras...UNC and UVA were way better than now, so what?
You try to cheapen older teams success because of this or that, we had a schedule, we played it, and FYI there was no DIV 1-AA fluff on the schedule ...
Any of our teams in the last 20 years would've pounded DODD"s best teams, so what? the players are bigger, faster, stronger... the game has evolved...

again comparing conferences and teams 20 years apart is futile

That is literally what you and other posters in this thread have been doing for the last several posts.

I agree that's it's probably a silly exercise.

Hope we make a great hire.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I loved Joe the player, but Joe the radio guy makes me cringe when talking about GT....definitely not a salesman for the program. Maybe Calvin wants an ATL sports radio gig? :)

Calvin hates the offense too. A lot of the non CPJ guys do, from what I’ve heard. But yeah.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
So you are on record that CPJ gets credit for his first two years?
CPJ inherited multiple NFL players. The QB he inherited was arguably the best QB he has had his entire tenure.

The new coach will be inheriting a team which in the past 2 years has sent less non kicker players to the NFL than Georgia Southern and Georgia State. And we are unlikely to get very many drafted this season either.

I mean, it’s easy to see why it’s easier to give more credit to the players for CPJ’s success in the first few years, than the next coaches hopefully successful first 2 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.