Joe Hamilton on 680

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
I loved Joe the player, but Joe the radio guy makes me cringe when talking about GT....definitely not a salesman for the program. Maybe Calvin wants an ATL sports radio gig? :)

These were literally my exact thoughts. Joe’s my childhood hero and I listened to that interview and shook my head the whole time. I respect his thoughts and wouldn’t trade the great memories of him on the Flats but his delivery was way too negative. Seems to have some animosity. Definitely not the best spokesman for the program, at least not today.

Listening to Fridge earlier in the day, it was like he couldn’t be more grateful for and positive about his time in Atlanta. He painted the picture of a special place.

Don’t get me wrong though still love 14. It would take a lot for me to flip that switch.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Having a high profile former player trash talk a future hall of fame coach who’s retiring isn’t going to make our head coaching job look any more appealing.

“Arguably their greatest QB just told their winningest coach his offense makes him vomit? They’ve beaten their rival 14 times in like 50 years? Hmmm, I’ll pass”.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Having a high profile former player trash talk a future hall of fame coach who’s retiring isn’t going to make our head coaching job look any more appealing.

“Arguably their greatest QB just told their winningest coach his offense makes him vomit? They’ve beaten their rival 14 times in like 50 years? Hmmm, I’ll pass”.

I don’t think it will have any impact at all on a potential candidate myself. It just reflects very poorly on Joe.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I loved Joe the player, but Joe the radio guy makes me cringe when talking about GT....definitely not a salesman for the program. Maybe Calvin wants an ATL sports radio gig? :)

I listen to Joe a good bit on his Sports X show with Hometeam and think he is fantastic. He gives his honest opinions and always prefaces them with how much he wants Tech to succeed. Early in the season he stated that he thought Tech should be better than the mediocre program that they have been over the past 2-3 seasons while complimenting Johnson often on his football IQ and accomplishments overall.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
I listen to Joe a good bit on his Sports X show with Hometeam and think he is fantastic. He gives his honest opinions and always prefaces them with how much he wants Tech to succeed. Early in the season he stated that he thought Tech should be better than the mediocre program that they have been over the past 2-3 seasons while complimenting Johnson often on his football IQ and accomplishments overall.

That’s good to hear. I did not get the sense today that he had much respect for CPJ.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Calvin Johnson is on record as hating the 3O also. Sorry, but very few players like the 3O. Thus, our recruiting.

I would like to see us chunk the 3O for the bowl game and go with James Graham in a shotgun based spread. Might as well get a jump on next year.

buzzwilder

Georgia Tech Fan
I've heard him speak highly of his time at GT. He clearly loves O'Leary...but he's never come across as a fan of the CPJ era IMO....which is disappointing considering CPJ gave him a job. Maybe he'll approve of whoever the new hire is & we'll get some positive air time.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Calvin Johnson is on record as hating the 3O also. Sorry, but very few players like the 3O. Thus, our recruiting.

I would like to see us chunk the 3O for the bowl game and go with James Graham in a shotgun based spread. Might as well get a jump on next year.

Calvin Johnson also knew how to say that very diplomatically. He would always say things like “as a WR, I prefer to see the ball in the air a little more” etc. He didn’t use the word “vomit”. He also hasn’t come out negatively about it right after the coach retired.

I have no issues with people disliking Paul’s scheme, but there’s a time and place and a certain way to diplomatically express these ideas that show respect for the Institute and a former coach.

But Calvin has always been a class act and hasn’t ever had Public legal issues.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess you should not go to a funeral home and start taking about what an Ahole someone was, but I’m not a fan of being a hypocrite either. Probably best just to say nothing.

Matt E

GT Athlete

With all due respect, if a head coaching candidate doesn’t want to come to GT because of something a former QB said.....he isn’t the right guy for the gig. Today’s social media platforms have turned former big name players at tons of programs into advocates or adversary’s of the current coach. It’s everywhere.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
With all due respect, if a head coaching candidate doesn’t want to come to GT because of something a former QB said.....he isn’t the right guy for the gig. Today’s social media platforms have turned former big name players at tons of programs into advocates or adversary’s of the current coach. It’s everywhere.

Just because “it’s everywhere” doesn’t make it a good look. We can be better than that.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Joe Hamilton - The guy who was hired by Paul Johnson in 2008, had to be fired because he got a DUI with mj possession, went and paid his penance at GSU for a few years, and then was RE-HIRED by Paul Johnson at GT in 2013? That Joe Hamilton?
Why the **** is he pissing all over Paul Johnson?

I think he wanted the QB coaching job.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
A lot of potential head coaches probably don’t want to hear, either.

Honestly they probably don’t want to hear how poor many on this board claim this job to be. If your concerned about the perception of the program, quit trying to spin what we have in s negative to manner to make Johnson look better.

Status
Not open for further replies.