Joe Hamilton on 680

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Fair enough.

Kinda sucks the fans are so split on this. We all want the same thing: Tech to be successful. Contrary to what some people say, I don’t believe anti-CPJ people rooted against Tech and I don’t believe pro-CPJ people will root against Tech. We’re all Tech fans.

My issue is the pro CPJ guys often times run down our program to prop him up. I believe that can have a negative impact on our program and I don’t want those that are so negative about our program to make that the standard narrative. It can become a negative self fulfilling prophecy.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I would argue it shows how well respected our program was.
That goes back to ranking being subjective. I do not think the 8-4 team that lost a bowl game under O'Leary was a better team that our 9-4 team that won their bowl game under Johnson. That doesn't take anything away from how good the teams were under O'Leary, but they can't play each other so we'll never know. Using ranks to compare teams with similar records just shows rankings are hogwash.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
My issue is the pro CPJ guys often times run down our program to prop him up. I believe that can have a negative impact on our program and I don’t want those that are so negative about our program to make that the standard narrative. It can become a negative self fulfilling prophecy.

You can make the case the Anti-CPJ people do the same. This very thread is talking about how bad our current roster is because CPJ sucks. Both sides of this argument are dumb.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think if CRF had stayed and we had gotten a better D coordinator, yes. I loved O'Leary but fact was CRF made him just like he made CBR. And by the way CRF, had the base play as the TO

Still have to give the HC credit regardless of assistants.

The TO with Fridge was a wrinkle in his scheme imo. I don’t recall running it more than 5 times a game so I wouldn’t classify it as a base play. Just my dumb opinion though.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
That goes back to ranking being subjective. I do not think the 8-4 team that lost a bowl game under O'Leary was a better team that our 9-4 team that won their bowl game under Johnson. That doesn't take anything away from how good the teams were under O'Leary, but they can't play each other so we'll never know. Using ranks to compare teams with similar records just shows rankings are hogwash.

I can agree with this. It does show well respected our program was however.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
CPJ inherited multiple NFL players. The QB he inherited was arguably the best QB he has had his entire tenure.

The new coach will be inheriting a team which in the past 2 years has sent less non kicker players to the NFL than Georgia Southern and Georgia State. And we are unlikely to get very many drafted this season either.

I mean, it’s easy to see why it’s easier to give more credit to the players for CPJ’s success in the first few years, than the next coaches hopefully successful first 2 seasons.
There are quite a few sophomores and freshman that may be drafted.
The fact that CPJ puts out top 25 offenses with non nfl talent shows the draft isn't everything. He even had his best year after all of Gailey's recruits were gone. He never fielded a defense and that was our team's down fall, not some lack of talent on the offense.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
You can make the case the Anti-CPJ people do the same. This very thread is talking about how bad our current roster is because CPJ sucks. Both sides of this argument are dumb.

Not at all. I think our program can recruit better than what it has under CPJ while my opponents say we can’t. Some are saying we are like a military academy playing in the ACC with all the restrictions we have. Some say we will be lucky to win 6 games a year with a new coach although there is nothing in our history that indicates that will be the case. I’m not negative about our program st all. I actually think we should expect to do better and will do better on the future.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Not at all. I think our program can recruit better than what it has under CPJ while my opponents say we can’t. Some are saying we are like a military academy playing in the ACC with all the restrictions we have. Some say we will be lucky to win 6 games a year with a new coach although there is nothing in our history that indicates that will be the case. I’m not negative about our program st all. I actually think we should expect to do better and will do better on the future.

I didn’t say you particularly, but this very thread is filled with users(won’t call out anyone) saying no one on our current roster could make the NFL and our players suck etc. That’s just as toxic.

Both sides are dumb. We had a coach retire that will almost definitely go into the HoF. Say your thanks and move on to the next person. This whole debate is embarrassing for our fans. CPJ doesn’t need anyone defending him and people don’t need to talk about how horrible he was.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

No you are saying we couldn’t recruit primarily because of scheme. Others are saying it was primarily because of a lack of resources.

I don’t care who the next coach is or what scheme he runs. If we have a recruiting staff of two....or even four...our recruiting won’t improve long term.

I didn’t say you particularly, but this very thread is filled with users(won’t call out anyone) saying no one on our current roster could make the NFL and our players suck etc. That’s just as toxic.

Both sides are dumb. We had a coach retire that will almost definitely go into the HoF. Say your thanks and move on to the next person. This whole debate is embarrassing for our fans. CPJ doesn’t need anyone defending him and people don’t need to talk about how horrible he was.

lol guys, we have never been an NFL factory and never will. yes we have Calvin Demerius, Shaq Gotsis, Burnett, and DM, but I would challenge you all to name more that actually contributed. Dorsey Levens, sure, but how about our top layers, Shawn Jones, Jerry Mays, Robert Lavette, we are just not an NFL factory and never will be. So what college football is not the NFL.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
so yealry wins over alcorn, jax st, and presby to add an extra game in the schedule doesnt matter?
It was a “tie” and FSU beat Tech head to head for the “tie breaker.”
SO whiskey what are you saying?

Status
Not open for further replies.