Jeff Sims

kalld12

Banned
If you any of you are wondering, I think this is what it looks like when a "fan" is rooting for a player to play poorly so they can "win" a message board argument.
Nope, but when i'm in a trench taking grenades you're dang right I'm going to come here and start chucking them back. I've been asking for consistent QB play for weeks, and this Saturday proved my point once again that we cant win games with that level of QB play. The D gave up 600+ yards, but also had 4 takeaways that the O couldn't convert, much fault being Sims inability to hit short/intermediate throws over the middle. This was a winnable game, and the O didn't come through. Play calling was suspect too, I mean how many times are we going to continue to run that atrocious 1st down dive play?

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Nope, but when i'm in a trench taking grenades you're dang right I'm going to come here and start chucking them back.

e9a3d58749a71cc3e8008ee4d71811ea.jpeg

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Sims has his faults, and they're fixable. To me that's the biggest thing...can his game be fixed? History says yes, because against teams like Pitt/UNC he had a completion percentage above 70%, and UVA it was above 60%. To me, this is a consistency issue with Sims. That's what you get with young QBs...inconsistency.

Like I said in another thread, Sims needs to have a better feel for the pocket. I admire him being calm under duress, as usually QBs that young get jittery and take off...but Sims has proven willing to stand in the pocket, but sometimes too long as it collapses around him. In time, he'll understand that fine line.

Sims also has done things no other QB on our roster can do. He's as physically talented as any QB in the ACC, if not the country.

IMO, he's a LOT better than he was last season. Of course there are some games that he's taken a step back, but those things can be ironed out with coaching, working on fundamentals, and watching film. Sims is worker, and he puts in the extra hours.

This Sims conversation is starting to get silly. IMO, our concerns are on the other side of the ball. The defense has a LOT of issues right now, and our starting QB shouldn't even be a top 5 concern for us right now.
This seems like bad timing for this post. Against Miami, the defense forced three turnovers, stopped two 4th down conversion attempts, and got us a nine points on a conversion return and TD return. We lost anyways because the offense was garbage, and Sims was a big part of that as he played poorly. I agree overall for the season that our defense takes more of the blame for the results but im not sure why the struggles on offense at times and the inconsistency at the QB position should be ignored as they are significant issues as well.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The first myth of Sims that needs to stop from some of his detractors among our fans is this 'Sims doesn't run hard' narrative. I think some of you are looking at his elusive running style and his build, and drawing the conclusions you want about him (i.e. he's soft). Sims definitely has issues between the ears sometimes, mainly looking nervous and unsure on throws, but he put his head down at the end of runs multiple times Saturday, to the point I was afraid they were going to hold him up and strip him. People may want to see him run like Josh Nesbitt and truck linebackers, but that would not be an effective running style for him. Elusiveness is a strength, and he needs to use it, but finish runs hard once he's going down. I see him doing that.
"Not running hard" would be about the last thing I would say about Sims.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The one thing I have a real problem with is fans second guessing coaches wrt how they play. They see what is going on in practice, know health status etc. The most disgusting I recall is the booing from the stands because Tevon took the field when all the arm chair coaches wanted Vlad ( and we all know how that turned out.). No player taking the field for Tech deserves that....on the field or here.
Second-guessing coaches can be done without booing players or running them down online, and that applies to both quarterbacks.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This seems like bad timing for this post. Against Miami, the defense forced three turnovers, stopped two 4th down conversion attempts, and got us a nine points on a conversion return and TD return. We lost anyways because the offense was garbage, and Sims was a big part of that as he played poorly. I agree overall for the season that our defense takes more of the blame for the results but im not sure why the struggles on offense at times and the inconsistency at the QB position should be ignored as they are significant issues as well.

I'm speaking of the QB overall this season. QBs have a bad game, even good ones...see UNC's Sam Howell against us.

Our defense has been terrible all season. Their ineptness is consistently bad. Look what other QBs and RBs have done against us:

(Loss) Miami: QB Van Dyke 389 yards 3 TDs, RB Knighten 162 yards 1 TD
(Loss) VT: QB Burmeister 254 yards 2 TDs, RB Thomas 103 yards, RB Blackshear 83 yards
(Loss) UVA: QB Armstrong 396 yards 4 TDs, QB Armstrong 99 yards rushing 2 TDs (6 TOTAL TDS!)
(Win) Duke: QB Holmberg 292 yards 2 TDs/1Int, RB Durant 152 yards 1 TD
(Loss) Pitt: QB Pickett 389 yards 4 TDs, RB Abanikanda 60 yards 2 TDs

Do you see a pattern there? It's always easy to blame the QB for our troubles. This goes back to CPJ this point: If our defense was better, they would create more chances for our offense. Look at what Jeff Sims did against those teams above. Some of those games he was VERY good, some OK, some not as good...but it doesn't matter what Sims does, because our defense just unravels what our offense does.

omnipotech

Banned
I'm speaking of the QB overall this season. QBs have a bad game, even good ones...see UNC's Sam Howell against us.

Our defense has been terrible all season. Their ineptness is consistently bad. Look what other QBs and RBs have done against us:

(Loss) Miami: QB Van Dyke 389 yards 3 TDs, RB Knighten 162 yards 1 TD
(Loss) VT: QB Burmeister 254 yards 2 TDs, RB Thomas 103 yards, RB Blackshear 83 yards
(Loss) UVA: QB Armstrong 396 yards 4 TDs, QB Armstrong 99 yards rushing 2 TDs (6 TOTAL TDS!)
(Win) Duke: QB Holmberg 292 yards 2 TDs/1Int, RB Durant 152 yards 1 TD
(Loss) Pitt: QB Pickett 389 yards 4 TDs, RB Abanikanda 60 yards 2 TDs

Do you see a pattern there? It's always easy to blame the QB for our troubles. This goes back to CPJ this point: If our defense was better, they would create more chances for our offense. Look at what Jeff Sims did against those teams above. Some of those games he was VERY good, some OK, some not as good...but it doesn't matter what Sims does, because our defense just unravels what our offense does.
The ship has a lot of holes in it, and we can try to plug more than 1 at a time.

kalld12

Banned
Thank you for this. Agree 100%. Saturday's loss is not on the D, they played well enough for us to have a chance at winning.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
They also gave up 33 points and hundreds of yards to the Miami offense. I was glad to see some 3rd and 4th down stops and all the turnovers, shows they are still fighting hard. I really hate it that Sims was off SO freaking bad, it was a prime chance to get a win.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Watched the second half against Miami. I was agreeing with the announcers that Sims looked like he might be injured in the first half. Nope. He missed many open receivers. Not sure what the problem was, but Sims is off. Maybe another off season and his third year will be the magic, but Sims missed some this game.

One issue he has is his peripherical vision. He does not see pressure.

slugboy

Staff member
…has anyone in this thread changed their minds about Sims or Yates based on anything posted here?

If not, what could have changed your mind?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Better memes
That was #2 on my list behind only "bribes". A distant third was posting in ALL CAPS WITH EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!! Fourth was a post referencing someone you know who knows someone who knows someone on the team who says that clearly X is better than Y based on what is seen on the practice field and repeated in the locker room. But the post had to include a reference to Kevin Bacon in it somewhere to be valid.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
That was #2 on my list behind only "bribes". A distant third was posting in ALL CAPS WITH EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!! Fourth was a post referencing someone you know who knows someone who knows someone on the team who says that clearly X is better than Y based on what is seen on the practice field and repeated in the locker room. But the post had to include a reference to Kevin Bacon in it somewhere to be valid.

Kevin Bacon Dancing GIF by STARZ

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
It has been reported on other boards that Sims was playing with an injury and that Yates was not available.

…has anyone in this thread changed their minds about Sims or Yates based on anything posted here?

If not, what could have changed your mind?

Yes, I have changed my opinion. I was in the camp that Sims offered an upside. But after watching a replay of the Miami game, Sims has a long way to go to being a P5 quarterback.