Jeff Sims

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I can't go along with this at all, kalid. Sims put forth a fine effort today. I was especially impressed on about 4 dumpoffs for nice gains under pressure. He made a few mistakes but did more right than wrong, IMO. Maybe Yates could have done better, and maybe not. But the point is Sims played hard and played well.
Sims problem today was play calling. No favors from the staff today.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Sims did a good job today checking down to Mason and Gibbs out of the backfield. His biggest issue seemed to be not stepping into some of those medium range throws. He was not helped by the some of the playcalling.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Anyone that watched his freshman year knew he could play. You know that, of course. But you wanted to be a condescending know it all anyways, so really who has the axe to grind?

And anyone who watched this year has seen him explode. Just because a talented player didn't explode sooner doesn't mean he's "wasted." I was a CPJ fan. I support CGC. I am not calling for a firing. No axes here to grind whatsoever. If having your agenda pointed out feels condescending to you, then maybe you should try not to let it bleed through in your posts so much.

Aanderson1839

Georgia Tech Fan
It sucks Yates was not available today. I was screaming to sit Sims for a series or two just to let him regroup. He was clearly off today and was inaccurate on almost every throw. I think sitting a series might have helped. Knowing that Yates was not available is one less strike against the coaching staff, I was pegging them as cowards for not giving Yates a series.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
And anyone who watched this year has seen him explode. Just because a talented player didn't explode sooner doesn't mean he's "wasted." I was a CPJ fan. I support CGC. I am not calling for a firing. No axes here to grind whatsoever. If having your agenda pointed out feels condescending to you, then maybe you should try not to let it bleed through in your posts so much.
You don’t get it. Thomas played great as a FR. He was misused and out of position for the past two years—not sure why. Now that he is back in the position that the prior staff had him in as FR, he is playing well. So yes, he was wasted.

The rest of your post doesn’t even merit a response. I have no agenda but for GT to win and you are just making stuff up if you say I have posted recently otherwise. But I don’t need to act like the smartest guy in the internet, so you can spend your night trolling someone else.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You don’t get it. Thomas played great as a FR. He was misused and out of position for the past two years—not sure why. Now that he is back in the position that the prior staff had him in as FR, he is playing well. So yes, he was wasted.

The rest of your post doesn’t even merit a response. I have no agenda but for GT to win and you are just making stuff up if you say I have posted recently otherwise. But I don’t need to act like the smartest guy in the internet, so you can spend your night trolling someone else.

You don't get it. LB was a logjam and the staff was getting him on the field any way they could. That's the epitome of NOT wasting a good player. Other than 2020, he has played LB almost exclusively.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Thomas's freshman year was in a 3-4, right? We moved to a 3-3-5 or a 4-2-5 the last two years, right? I'm asking because I don't know for sure.

What's the difference between the position he played as a freshman and the position he played the past two years? (and I thought he had a pretty good year last year)

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Thomas's freshman year was in a 3-4, right? We moved to a 3-3-5 or a 4-2-5 the last two years, right? I'm asking because I don't know for sure.

What's the difference between the position he played as a freshman and the position he played the past two years? (and I thought he had a pretty good year last year)
Yes. He was playing more coverage last year and IMO struggles there.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Sims is not our problem. All QB's make bad throws or int's on occasion. Our problem is the inability of the defense to overcome them when they happen. I knew we were in trouble yesterday when we had a good kickoff run that was called back on a penalty and 2 straight 3 and outs in the 4th quarter. Defense couldn't hold up. Sometimes they have to bail out the team. Penalties the last 2 games have really hurt our chances. I'm not comparing our D to Clemson but their D held UL from scoring with a first and goal at the end of the game to preserve the win. We can't seem to do that.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Sims right now in his Tech career is as good as he is going to be. Forget Yates, bring in the best QB we got on the team and let him play.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll give you the facts... of 16 games Sims has played in while at Tech, he has 9 games of 2+ turnovers... so more than half the games he's played he's had more than 2 turnovers...

6-10 games his freshman year
3-6 games his *second* freshman year

AND 13 of the 16 games he has played in, he has at least one turnover...

too many turnovers will keep your defense on the field longer and wear them... and that doesn't help that its a mediocre (at best) defense anyways
Let me add to this re: our woeful offense. This season, less the Miami game, Tech is 28% on 3rd down conversion !

Animal02

Banned
Sims is not our problem. All QB's make bad throws or int's on occasion. Our problem is the inability of the defense to overcome them when they happen. I knew we were in trouble yesterday when we had a good kickoff run that was called back on a penalty and 2 straight 3 and outs in the 4th quarter. Defense couldn't hold up. Sometimes they have to bail out the team. Penalties the last 2 games have really hurt our chances. I'm not comparing our D to Clemson but their D held UL from scoring with a first and goal at the end of the game to preserve the win. We can't seem to do that.
The one thing I have a real problem with is fans second guessing coaches wrt how they play. They see what is going on in practice, know health status etc. The most disgusting I recall is the booing from the stands because Tevon took the field when all the arm chair coaches wanted Vlad ( and we all know how that turned out.). No player taking the field for Tech deserves that....on the field or here.