Jeff Sims

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I was down for homecoming and got a cold while there. I would not have wanted to play any type of competition sport last week. Could be Yates had one. May be that simple. Let's see if he's ready to go this week. Was he in uniform with the team? Mask? He is a very capable backup just in case.

kalld12

Banned
You're stretching. Kelly Q has connections with our program. He puts out reliable info.
Yeah normally anything KQ puts out is historically accurate and comes from direct sources associated with the team. That being said, there's still speculation on what "not healthy" means. Hopefully its just a cold/flu and not a physical injury that will keep him from playing. I expect to see Sims continuing to start, but I agree when Sims struggles it would be nice to see what Yates can do for a series or two, meanwhile Sims has a chance to analyze things from the sideline which can help a QB see things a little differently.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yeah normally anything KQ puts out is historically accurate and comes from direct sources associated with the team. That being said, there's still speculation on what "not healthy" means. Hopefully its just a cold/flu and not a physical injury that will keep him from playing. I expect to see Sims continuing to start, but I agree when Sims struggles it would be nice to see what Yates can do for a series or two, meanwhile Sims has a chance to analyze things from the sideline which can help a QB see things a little differently.

I understood it to be a stomach bug, but that came from a different source.

Chalk this up to CGC doesn't comment on injuries (illness either apparently).

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I am not stretching at all, Kelly Q is a second hand source. And not one place anywhere has said injury at all. That's my point

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That is your opinion. I and many others disagree and belive that turnovers are a hole.
It is my opinion. But, turnovers aren't why we're losing. Every team has turnovers; ours aren't unusual.

If you want to criticize Sims, it'd be more appropriate to look at 3rd down conversions than turnovers. But, that's on the whole offense, not just the QB.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am sick of this thread but let's get real for a moment.

On Miami's first possession they were 3rd & 11 at their own 18 and GT was called for pass interference. Instead of punting, Miami scored seven plays later.
On Miami's next possession they scored on a 35 yard pass when Tech's safety and CB got mixed up as to which them had coverage on Rambo.
After Miami kicked a FG to make the score 28-27, Thomas ran back the KO to the GT 40, but GT was penalized back to the 12 yard line & punted on 4th down that gave the ball to Miami in GT territory. They scored five plays later.
On GT's next possession, Sims passed to Gibbs on 2nd down for a 1st down at the Miami 40, but the play was called back. Two plays later Sims was sacked on 3rd & 15 and GT punted.
On GT's last possession, Sims passed to Sanders for about 30 yards, but was ruled down while picking up a bad snap. Later Sims passed for a first down to Gibbs and the play was called back for a holding penalty.

Yes, Sims had a bad game. Right.

And we lost a game we might have won had some other guys had a better game.

Animal02

Banned

On Miami's first possession they were 3rd & 11 at their own 18 and GT was called for pass interference. Instead of punting, Miami scored seven plays later.
On Miami's next possession they scored on a 35 yard pass when Tech's safety and CB got mixed up as to which them had coverage on Rambo.
After Miami kicked a FG to make the score 28-27, Thomas ran back the KO to the GT 40, but GT was penalized back to the 12 yard line & punted on 4th down that gave the ball to Miami in GT territory. They scored five plays later.
On GT's next possession, Sims passed to Gibbs on 2nd down for a 1st down at the Miami 40, but the play was called back. Two plays later Sims was sacked on 3rd & 15 and GT punted.
On GT's last possession, Sims passed to Sanders for about 30 yards, but was ruled down while picking up a bad snap. Later Sims passed for a first down to Gibbs and the play was called back for a holding penalty.

Sick of it too. Reminds me of the Tevon / Vlad crap. No one here knows what happens in practice how the health status of players. The one thing I am pretty sure of is that the coaches are putting the best players on the field to give them a chance to win

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

I feel like people are making the jump way too often that discussing QB play and criticizing QB play somehow is blaming all of the teams problems and losses on QB play. I'm not sure that's anyone's intention. Fair or not, QB is the most important position on the field and is always going to get the most discussion. Especially when you are not a good team. Matt Ryan has taken far more heat than Sims ever will while sustaining a pretty high level of play.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I feel like people are making the jump way too often that discussing QB play and criticizing QB play somehow is blaming all of the teams problems and losses on QB play. I'm not sure that's anyone's intention. Fair or not, QB is the most important position on the field and is always going to get the most discussion. Especially when you are not a good team. Matt Ryan has taken far more heat than Sims ever will while sustaining a pretty high level of play.

QB play is even more important in the offense we are trying to run.

No one carried about john Parker wilson or Aj Mccarron other than don't **** it up when bama was winning games on the legs of their heisman running backs. We aren't running an offense that can do that.

slugboy

Staff member
It seems like Matt Ryan taking heat for not winning enough games when he’s been weighed down with a bottom 5 defense in the NFL for years and a patchwork offensive line and a weak running game is a pretty good argument to critique other parts of the team

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

I mean yeah, the whole team played like crap. Sims included. The interception was awful. Not sure what he could have possibly seen to think that throw was open.

Aside from the ridiculous rate at which Sims turns the ball over I think most of our problems have more to do with our extremely predictable play calling than Sims directly. The turnovers are bad, but they are exacerbated by the fact that we can’t pick up first downs or score in the red zone.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
It seems like Matt Ryan taking heat for not winning enough games when he’s been weighed down with a bottom 5 defense in the NFL for years and a patchwork offensive line and a weak running game is a pretty good argument to critique other parts of the team
And that’s where things are different. Matt Ryan was putting up MVP and Pro-Bowl quality numbers while other aspects of the team struggle. Jeff Sims is putting up bottom half of the ACC numbers. It’s possible to critique QB play even when other parts of the team struggle. And when the QB is one of the best players in the league it’s easy to brush off those critiques. When he’s not though…