Jeff Sims

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Would be good to add to the QB room as Yates graduates in May so not sure about his status moving forward. Might take the chance to start somewhere else.

This would be a big blow to the program, Having a good QB leave for not getting playing time hurts us. We should put the players in that can win now so we keep everyone that has an impact. Like imagine us loosing our leading tackler to the portal. That one will hurt a already weak defense.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This would be a big blow to the program, Having a good QB leave for not getting playing time hurts us. We should put the players in that can win now so we keep everyone that has an impact. Like imagine us loosing our leading tackler to the portal. That one will hurt a already weak defense.

Everyone said the same thing when Vad left, and he was the starter. Then 2014 happened…

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

You're saying you'd rather lose Sims than Yates? There is no way to keep all your QB's in the portal era.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
You're saying you'd rather lose Sims than Yates? There is no way to keep all your QB's in the portal era.
If I had to choose yes. Yates is a good decision maker. I don't think it is a dichotomy though. I think Sims needs a bit more time to learn the QB position at this level. I think Sims can be great once he learns how to go through the progressions and limit his turnovers.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
If I had to choose yes. Yates is a good decision maker. I don't think it is a dichotomy though. I think Sims needs a bit more time to learn the QB position at this level. I think Sims can be great once he learns how to go through the progressions and limit his turnovers.
This doesn't make any sense. Would let Sims go while you think he is going to be "great" in exchange for Yates who is a good game manager and an extra win this season or next.

There has not been a game we have lost this season that I believe Yates playing would have resulted in a win. The only game stats wise that I could see Sims as a being down is Duke and we won that game because of him in the end.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Sims is statistically better at this point in his career than Joe Hamilton was.

I love Yates and what he brings to this team, but Sims gives us the best chance to win now (though maybe debatable) and in the future (really not debatable).

Add in the fact that Peery is already here and we just got a commitment from an Elite 11 QB this year.

We’re fine at QB. Even if Yates leaves (which I hope he doesn’t).

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
We can agree to disagree for now. I know that I can count on at least 2 turnovers a game from Sims right now. Part of that is him making bad choices, the other part is him doing to much trying to win. I think he will be great but with the trajectory of a team continuing downhill we need some small wins. You couldn't know how much better our games could have turned out without some costly turnovers.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
We can agree to disagree for now. I know that I can count on at least 2 turnovers a game from Sims right now. Part of that is him making bad choices, the other part is him doing to much trying to win. I think he will be great but with the trajectory of a team continuing downhill we need some small wins. You couldn't know how much better our games could have turned out without some costly turnovers.
Sims gets us more scores and opportunities to score then yates. He also is a so much better runner which in result makes the defense play sims as a runner and a passer. Yates is a lot easier to gameplan for as a defense.

jacketz212

Jolly Good Fellow
Sims gets us more scores and opportunities to score then yates. He also is a so much better runner which in result makes the defense play sims as a runner and a passer. Yates is a lot easier to gameplan for as a defense.
Disagree. I believe it is a lot easier to gameplan a defense for a running quarterback (Sims) than someone that could pass.

Defensively, you can plan on stopping the run with a running quarterback and force the him to throw, and when they're not a accurate qb like Sims, your chances at winning are better.

Whereas, with a passing quarterback you have to plan on stopping the pass, but when you got rb's like Mason, Gibbs, Smith, you can't just focus on stopping the run bc you have to respect the pass.

Look at jalen smith and Alabama, uga was stopping the run and brought in tua second half, game over.
Lamar Jackson (very similar qb style) defenses stop their run and their offense is not any good.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Disagree. I believe it is a lot easier to gameplan a defense for a running quarterback (Sims) than someone that could pass.

Defensively, you can plan on stopping the run with a running quarterback and force the him to throw, and when they're not a accurate qb like Sims, your chances at winning are better.

Whereas, with a passing quarterback you have to plan on stopping the pass, but when you got rb's like Mason, Gibbs, Smith, you can't just focus on stopping the run bc you have to respect the pass.

Look at jalen smith and Alabama, uga was stopping the run and brought in tua second half, game over.
Lamar Jackson (very similar qb style) defenses stop their run and their offense is not any good.
Sims can pass and throw. That’s the key piece you’re missing. He can run and pass efficiently

kalld12

Banned
Sims can pass and throw. That’s the key piece you’re missing. He can run and pass efficiently
Theres a difference in being able to throw and turning the ball over consistently - he has NOT progressed in this area from last year to this year and that should be the most concerning thing to everyone here. Were barely able to stay in games with 0 turnovers let alone 2+ a game. Until Sims cleans up the turnovers you can expect 3-4 wins a season.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Theres a difference in being able to throw and turning the ball over consistently - he has NOT progressed in this area from last year to this year and that should be the most concerning thing to everyone here. Were barely able to stay in games with 0 turnovers let alone 2+ a game. Until Sims cleans up the turnovers you can expect 3-4 wins a season.
He isn’t turning it over 2+ Each game. He also isn’t the reason why we are only winning 3-4 games a year like you claim. This offense is more then capable to lead us to 6+ wins. We are stuck at 3-4 wins because of the abysmal defense.

kalld12

Banned
He isn’t turning it over 2+ Each game. He also isn’t the reason why we are only winning 3-4 games a year like you claim. This offense is more then capable to lead us to 6+ wins. We are stuck at 3-4 wins because of the abysmal defense.
Look at his turnover ratio this year? He's on pace to tie last years interception total through same amount of games. He threw 11 INTs last year and already has 6 INTs through 4 games starting this year. That does not show the improvement we all thought we'd see from Sims this year. You can blame the D all you want (they've been atrocious), but lets not act like Sims turnovers havent hurt us this year. The UVA game was very winnable if not for turnovers. The one game we won against UNC, Sims played his first complete game in awhile. Thats the kind of consistency we need from Sims to get to a 6-7 wins a year.

I'm not saying Yates is better, Sims upside is still better, but at some point the turnovers will have to stop or he will get replaced.

https://www.rotowire.com/cfootball/player.php?id=34629

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer

He is turning it over 2+ times a game and I know for a fact 2 ints that should have happened that got erased by bad calls in our favor. He is a turnover machine the numbers don't lie.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
He is turning it over 2+ times a game and I know for a fact 2 ints that should have happened that got erased by bad calls in our favor. He is a turnover machine the numbers don't lie.
He's a young QB learning as he goes. The coaches decided last year that they were going to take their lumps with him because he gave us the best chance to win. I think he still does. He's young and still makes bad decisions at times. Those are things most every young QB would experience if pressed into service behind a porous OL. I think I saw Paula and William start this past Saturday at guards. That's not a good sign in my opinion.

Back to Sims...in time those ill-advised throws will lessen and he'll have better numbers.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
He's a young QB learning as he goes. The coaches decided last year that they were going to take their lumps with him because he gave us the best chance to win. I think he still does. He's young and still makes bad decisions at times. Those are things most every young QB would experience if pressed into service behind a porous OL. I think I saw Paula and William start this past Saturday at guards. That's not a good sign in my opinion.

Back to Sims...in time those ill-advised throws will lessen and he'll have better numbers.

He may eventually give us the best chance, the question is with the current admin last long enough? We have a back up who is very capable of winning games. We might even have more W's if the back up was starting.

kalld12

Banned

I hear you I do. The question is, how long as a fan base do we continue to attribute his turnovers to him being young? I mean this is his 2nd year as the starter, I see some progress with his deep ball and letting plays develop (not looking to run at the first hole that opens up), but the turnovers just kill us every game. I mean the UVA and VT games were winnable games in my opinion had we played better on D, made some more plays on O, and held on to the ball. The other thing that concerns me is some of these throws just aren't smart football, some of the INTs are just Sims throwing it up because hes about to be sacked. I'm really looking for smarter QB play and for us to put a string of consistent smart QB play together. Since UNC its been pretty bad.

Heres to hoping Sims can continue to progress, he does have tremendous potential.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I hear you I do. The question is, how long as a fan base do we continue to attribute his turnovers to him being young? I mean this is his 2nd year as the starter, I see some progress with his deep ball and letting plays develop (not looking to run at the first hole that opens up), but the turnovers just kill us every game. I mean the UVA and VT games were winnable games in my opinion had we played better on D, made some more plays on O, and held on to the ball. The other thing that concerns me is some of these throws just aren't smart football, some of the INTs are just Sims throwing it up because hes about to be sacked. I'm really looking for smarter QB play and for us to put a string of consistent smart QB play together. Since UNC its been pretty bad.

Heres to hoping Sims can continue to progress, he does have tremendous potential.
Lmao, we win the UVA game if the defense has a pulse which they still dont. Also against VT he put us in field goal range to pull within 3 in the 4th and they go for it and don’t get it so that’s not his fault and then the defense proceeds to let VT March down the field burning clock and score. There is multiple games where me lost solely off the defense not giving our offense a chance and as a result makes the offense press and puts so much more stress and impact on the offense to bail them out. The Defense isn’t giving us a chance in any game since UNC.

TheJuiceIsLoose404

Jolly Good Fellow
For what its worth I think Sims actually made pretty good decisions on Saturday. The turnovers weren’t his fault. I think play calling was a bigger issue in that game.