Jeff Sims

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Sims right now in his Tech career is as good as he is going to be.
This might be the craziest take I've seen on this situation.

I'm all for the 2nd part. Bring in as much talent as possible and let the cream rise to the top, but to insinuate that a guy in his 2nd year playing behind a bead offensive line isn't going to get any better is ridiculous.

He's gotten better since last year with only one offseason. He will be even better this time next year. If someone comes in and beats him out, I'm okay with that too, but I will be impressed if it happens. I'd bet money it won't be a true freshman either. Only person that has a chance is Peery IMO and I have no clue because I've never seen him play. I just highly doubt it will be Yates or a freshman.

jacketz212

Jolly Good Fellow
This might be the craziest take I've seen on this situation.

I'm all for the 2nd part. Bring in as much talent as possible and let the cream rise to the top, but to insinuate that a guy in his 2nd year playing behind a bead offensive line isn't going to get any better is ridiculous.

He's gotten better since last year with only one offseason. He will be even better this time next year. If someone comes in and beats him out, I'm okay with that too, but I will be impressed if it happens. I'd bet money it won't be a true freshman either. Only person that has a chance is Peery IMO and I have no clue because I've never seen him play. I just highly doubt it will be Yates or a freshman.
Nobody knows anything about any of the other qbs, bc they never get a chance to play, regardless of how bad Sims is at the time or if the offense isn’t doin anything.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Nobody knows anything about any of the other qbs, bc they never get a chance to play, regardless of how bad Sims is at the time or if the offense isn’t doin anything.

that's pretty much the way it has been since.....forever. You might see glimpses of the 2nd string guy but beyond thatnobody other than their mothers knew anything whatsoever about QB's 3,4 and 5. This isn't unique to GT either. Or the last few years.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
that's pretty much the way it has been since.....forever. You might see glimpses of the 2nd string guy but beyond thatnobody other than their mothers knew anything whatsoever about QB's 3,4 and 5. This isn't unique to GT either. Or the last few years.

No one is ever more popular than the 2nd string QB when the starter is struggling.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I watched the first half of the Miami game again just now. The announcers were questioning whether Sims was dealing with some kind of injury. Interesting point.

When he was off on a pass, he was way off. Even some of the completions were behind receivers. I know CGC does not discuss injuries, but could Sims have an "upper body" injury he is working through? He did seem off. His running was on, but his passing seemed off.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I watched the first half of the Miami game again just now. The announcers were questioning whether Sims was dealing with some kind of injury. Interesting point.

When he was off on a pass, he was way off. Even some of the completions were behind receivers. I know CGC does not discuss injuries, but could Sims have an "upper body" injury he is working through? He did seem off. His running was on, but his passing seemed off.
It has been reported on other boards that Sims was playing with an injury and that Yates was not available.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I would think next year is the year we will know if Sims will be what the coaches think he can be. He will have had 2 seasons as a starter and his third year in the program. He will need a decent OL and that may be problematic as we lose at least 3 experienced guys. Hopefully we don't have wholesale transfers at some skilled positions either. If next year isn't the year for a big improvement then it just isn't happening in year 4 either. His development under this staff has not been overwhelming so far. Our D certainly hasn't helped give him more opportunities on offense either but so many 3 and outs I blame on poor play calling. Is he even allowed to check out of plays based on the D alignment?

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Yates do make these throws. Yates make short throw too. Yates good QB.
Yates was injured. I'd have been all for trying him, but apparently he was a no go. Maybe that's why Sims wasn't focused. Guys on this team seem to have a tendency to lose focus if there isn't competition behind them. That's speaks to coaches failing to hold people accountable, in my opinion.

kalld12

Banned
Yates was injured. I'd have been all for trying him, but apparently he was a no go. Maybe that's why Sims wasn't focused. Guys on this team seem to have a tendency to lose focus if there isn't competition behind them. That's speaks to coaches failing to hold people accountable, in my opinion.
He was being sarcastic due to some interaction that happened earlier in this thread! I agree with you though, Sims needs to know hes being pushed for PT, that drives competition and the want to get better week to week. Seems like the coaches will ride Sims no matter his performance.

omnipotech

Banned
Pick a game Yates would’ve led us to victory post KSU
How many has Jeff lead us to? Guessing how many Yates would have lead us to is irrelevant because he didn't get the opportunity, but Yates taking Clemson to the wire is more impressive than Jeff's 1 squeaker of a win over Duke.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
How many has Jeff lead us to? Guessing how many Yates would have lead us to is irrelevant because he didn't get the opportunity, but Yates taking Clemson to the wire is more impressive than Jeff's 1 squeaker of a win over Duke.
Defense was the one who took Clemson to the wire. Yates couldn’t get us a score in the end zone.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
@Ibeeballin what you got to say now? I have plenty of footage now hahaha! Jeff Sims is not a QB, he’s an athlete. Can’t blame this one of the D, for many of you, that’s your only argument. Time to let Yates play the rest of the year!

If you any of you are wondering, I think this is what it looks like when a "fan" is rooting for a player to play poorly so they can "win" a message board argument.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer

I hope he is not injured, I think his next school will be upset at that possibility.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
The first myth of Sims that needs to stop from some of his detractors among our fans is this 'Sims doesn't run hard' narrative. I think some of you are looking at his elusive running style and his build, and drawing the conclusions you want about him (i.e. he's soft). Sims definitely has issues between the ears sometimes, mainly looking nervous and unsure on throws, but he put his head down at the end of runs multiple times Saturday, to the point I was afraid they were going to hold him up and strip him. People may want to see him run like Josh Nesbitt and truck linebackers, but that would not be an effective running style for him. Elusiveness is a strength, and he needs to use it, but finish runs hard once he's going down. I see him doing that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sims has his faults, and they're fixable. To me that's the biggest thing...can his game be fixed? History says yes, because against teams like Pitt/UNC he had a completion percentage above 70%, and UVA it was above 60%. To me, this is a consistency issue with Sims. That's what you get with young QBs...inconsistency.

Like I said in another thread, Sims needs to have a better feel for the pocket. I admire him being calm under duress, as usually QBs that young get jittery and take off...but Sims has proven willing to stand in the pocket, but sometimes too long as it collapses around him. In time, he'll understand that fine line.

Sims also has done things no other QB on our roster can do. He's as physically talented as any QB in the ACC, if not the country.

IMO, he's a LOT better than he was last season. Of course there are some games that he's taken a step back, but those things can be ironed out with coaching, working on fundamentals, and watching film. Sims is worker, and he puts in the extra hours.

This Sims conversation is starting to get silly. IMO, our concerns are on the other side of the ball. The defense has a LOT of issues right now, and our starting QB shouldn't even be a top 5 concern for us right now.