James Graham Highlights

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Yates will be here in the spring. JG has a big head start and if LJ cannot go in the spring gives JG a bigger shot at winning the job.

You got to know the plays, have the foot work, execute the reads correctly, read the defense, and then and only then does the other athletic factors come to play. Passing and big play capability.

I wonder if JG Orr Yates have inside capability or are they more JT like... I would like to see someone like Byerly run the offense... passing and hard nosed yet with speed for the crease. Matrix like running is cool too, but you lose some of the middles running ability.
Love this analysis Longestday. So glad you are posting again

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think Yates will be here in the spring. JG has a big head start and if LJ cannot go in the spring gives JG a bigger shot at winning the job.

You got to know the plays, have the foot work, execute the reads correctly, read the defense, and then and only then does the other athletic factors come to play. Passing and big play capability.

I wonder if JG Orr Yates have inside capability or are they more JT like... I would like to see someone like Byerly run the offense... passing and hard nosed yet with speed for the crease. Matrix like running is cool too, but you lose some of the middles running ability.
I still remember the scrimage pass byerly made - stop, pop, right on target as receiver broke away from d b. Like u said that would nice.

Wonder who the receviercwas?

We sure need a player at wr!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ok, that’s why I said I wasn’t sure if that’s what you were trying to get at. My biggest issue is his fundamentals, there is a lot to work on, and imo you won’t be a good passer without some things changing. Thank you for clarifying what you were saying.
It's cool.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think JG runs more like JfN than any other QB we've had. That's the one thing I got from his senior film. He looked to take on tacklers as much as he looked to elude them. We'll see.
JG is faster than JFN. At this point, probably not quite as physical, but I get what you are saying.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
For people saying he wasn’t looking too fast in his senior video, I agree. I will say he looked really fast when he got in against VT though. I don’t know about “Vick fast” but he looked notibably faster than Marshall or Oliver.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think JG field vision may have been display for his two runs more than speed. That was a small sample size, but both runs showed how he finds a path forward. He was quick and able to turn at full speed. I did not see him have the field to show high end speed.

Field vision is way under rated. The natural ability to find a path forward is gold.

I don’t care which QB wins as much as I hope the best one is really good and causes the O to score many points.

Last edited:

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@ATL1 I find that interesting to be your choice since you want more passing. There is no doubt in my mind that Byerly was a much !better! passer than JT. He was also taller and would have seen receivers better. He and Smelter would have lit up the score board. Byerly sought too much contact when running at times.

JT could pass/had trouble seeing the field, but he also had some matrix type of running moves. His field vision was also excellent in the running game.

Both read well and thought give and pitch before the keep. I liked/loved both QBs for different reasons and would have loved to see both play.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@SidewalkJacket Disagree all you want ;) ... talk to the players.... go watch the Duke game where JT got hurt... JT might have been a good passer for our offense, Byerly could have played in a pure passing offense. Have you seen them pass and made the call or are you basing it off of JTs performance alone?

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I would have loved to see the offense with Byerly running it as well. It would not have been nearly as electric as with JeT, but I’ll bet it would have excelled at death marches - an absolute juggernaut

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@SidewalkJacket that may have come across more strongly than I intended. I was just deing passionate about my view more than anything... knowing that there is always a possibility I could be wrong. It is an issue I always need to moderate.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
@SidewalkJacket Disagree all you want ;) ... talk to the players.... go watch the Duke game where JT got hurt... JT might have been a good passer for our offense, Byerly could have played in a pure passing offense. Have you seen them pass and made the call or are you basing it off of JTs performance alone?

Byerly threw a very nice ball, no doubt. I’m sad that we didn’t get to see a larger sample size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
@ATL1 I find that interesting to be your choice since you want more passing. There is no doubt in my mind that Byerly was a much !better! passer than JT. He was also taller and would have seen receivers better. He and Smelter would have lit up the score board. Byerly sought too much contact when running at times.

Yeah, I’m gonna stick with Jet.