James Graham Highlights

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
That may be more of a trust issue than ability to throw the ball. TO is a RS Fr? With regard to TO's passing, from limited sample size, have seen more positive than negative.

Lack of Trust based on what the coaches have seen in practice and scrimmages most likely. Can TO get better at passing than what we’ve seen so far? Absolutely. Can he get dramatically better from one year to the next? TQ didn’t, and thats what needs to happen to get us to the next level, to be able to beat the teams that shut our running game down.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Let me start by saying I think James Graham is a phenomenal athlete and potentially could be a 4-year starter. He's quick, strong, and fearless. That being said, I'd like to see his Jr. film because I'm not too terribly impressed with his Sr film. He is a hell of a hard runner, decisive, and a good decision-maker. But, he doesn't show break-away speed, many of his throws are flat-footed tosses, and he doesn't express that "can't catch him" elusiveness.

I don't see what everyone else is raving about in his senior film. Granted, I also have no idea what the level of opposition he's seeing, but I'm used to seeing HS stud athletes just dominate their opponents. I don't see JG doing that.

Again, I love this kid and think he makes great decisions (which can make him a special QB, look at TW), but I'm not 100% sold on the athleticism. The Michael Vick comparisons need to be way toned down. I saw more at QB from AJ than I have from James Graham. I am 100% behind this kid succeeding. Nothing will make me happier than to be shown I'm blind.

My money is still on Johnson next year. I want to see a true dual threat guy back there. I'm excited to finish 2018 strong (2-0) and work hard for next year.

I agree i don’t see Vick-like speed, he is a very tough and decisive runner up the middle. He has a strong looking arm, throws ropes effortlessly, flatfooted. Most of the passing footage is in the 2nd half of his senior video.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I get what you are saying, but to say TO hasn’t had enough time to show he’s not a good passer, and then go on and show why he is (maybe not what you were retrying to do) isn’t really fair. Nothing against TO but there’s a reason TM is brought in when passing, and it’s been said he’s not as good as TM throwing. TO hasn’t had to really thread the needle yet either. There are reasons people are saying he’s not a good passer imo, but I’ll levae it at that.
TQM may very well be ahead of TO in the passing game right now. I don't attend practice, so all I can do is comment on what I have seen at game time and what I see on the stat sheet. I'm not quite sure how you interpreted my comments the way you did. Based on those things, IMHO, it is too early to declare that he is not a good passer or unable to pass the ball, which many on this board seem to have done. For what we have asked him to do, relative to his predecessors, the results are pretty good against good competition. At this point, having not attended practice, I have yet to see him drop back and stretch the field with his arm strength or touch on the deep ball. So, for me, that is a complete unknown.

Let me clarify. I don't know if TO is really a great passer. The sample size is too small to make a decision either way. The stuff he has been asked to do through the air so far has produced better than average (relative to GT predecessors) results. We shouldn't be making snap judgements about the future. There have already been signs that he can make good decisions and see the field. Part of the making of a "great passer" in our system is being feared for what you can do with your feet. We hurt teams through play action where they have to commit numbers from the back to get runners, including the QB, stopped.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
I agree i don’t see Vick-like speed, he is a very tough and decisive runner up the middle. He has a strong looking arm, throws ropes effortlessly, flatfooted. Most of the passing footage is in the 2nd half of his senior video.

If he plays like Vick and we redshirted him after a losing season, then CPJ has more intestinal fortitude than any coach ever.

Vick made everyone on the field look like they were playing in slow motion when he was in the NFL, much less college. If he was Vick-like, his teammates wouldn’t shut up about it and it would be all over campus

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
If he plays like Vick and we redshirted him after a losing season, then CPJ has more intestinal fortitude than any coach ever.

CPJ was gonna move him to WR to get him on the field but moved him back to an once LJ went down.

“He said that, among others, Alabama had recruited him to play defensive back and Miami wanted him as a running back. Strickland said that Graham is open to playing another position, but would prefer quarterback.” His high school coach.

““All of it,” he said. “Change of direction, jumping, just absolutely, full-speed, wide-open and able to come to a complete stop. He just does things that normal humans can’t do.””

https://www.ajc.com/blog/georgia-te...crazy-dynamic-athlete/V7tdenTWIH3uwxr6pnwY3I/

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I think he stays at QB if CPJ sees that in his future. He will be a redshirt freshman next year. Next year we have only 2 guys that have been in the program a while and one will be a senior. Look at what happened between last year and this year. Oliver went from 4 to 2.
I was talking about moving Oliver to ABack, not Graham.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

Vick made everyone on the field look like they were playing in slow motion when he was in the NFL, much less college. If he was Vick-like, his teammates wouldn’t shut up about it and it would be all over campus

If James Graham is another Michael Vick then GT football is in for fun times in the future:cigar:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
TQM may very well be ahead of TO in the passing game right now. I don't attend practice, so all I can do is comment on what I have seen at game time and what I see on the stat sheet. I'm not quite sure how you interpreted my comments the way you did. Based on those things, IMHO, it is too early to declare that he is not a good passer or unable to pass the ball, which many on this board seem to have done. For what we have asked him to do, relative to his predecessors, the results are pretty good against good competition. At this point, having not attended practice, I have yet to see him drop back and stretch the field with his arm strength or touch on the deep ball. So, for me, that is a complete unknown.

Let me clarify. I don't know if TO is really a great passer. The sample size is too small to make a decision either way. The stuff he has been asked to do through the air so far has produced better than average (relative to GT predecessors) results. We shouldn't be making snap judgements about the future. There have already been signs that he can make good decisions and see the field. Part of the making of a "great passer" in our system is being feared for what you can do with your feet. We hurt teams through play action where they have to commit numbers from the back to get runners, including the QB stopped.
Ok, that’s why I said I wasn’t sure if that’s what you were trying to get at. My biggest issue is his fundamentals, there is a lot to work on, and imo you won’t be a good passer without some things changing. Thank you for clarifying what you were saying.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I also think TO's future is not at QB. I was at the Duke game in the Upper East about the 25 yd line north end. I had particular vantage point, behind TO, to see two of his throws towards the SW pylon. One of throws was wide right and the other way wide right. On both throws, he wasn't particularly hurried nor were his passing lanes obstructed. Just not good mechanics. I think I understand how/why PJ has used his QB's this year in the manner in which he has.

Maybe Aback is his future.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
My bad. Yes you were obviously talking about Oliver. And I was also wrong about Lucas - he will be a junior next year. Lucas won't be healed in time for spring though, will he? Oliver will most likely run with the 1's and Graham with the 2's in the spring game.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
My bad. Yes you were obviously talking about Oliver. And I was also wrong about Lucas - he will be a junior next year. Lucas won't be healed in time for spring though, will he? Oliver will most likely run with the 1's and Graham with the 2's in the spring game.

I’m looking forward to that, last year CPJ let Lucas and Oliver throw a lot in the spring game

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Vick had true 4.2 speed, if Graham had those kind of wheels we would for sure know about it

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Yates will be here in the spring. JG has a big head start and if LJ cannot go in the spring gives JG a bigger shot at winning the job.

You got to know the plays, have the foot work, execute the reads correctly, read the defense, and then and only then does the other athletic factors come to play. Passing and big play capability.

I wonder if JG Orr Yates have inside capability or are they more JT like... I would like to see someone like Byerly run the offense... passing and hard nosed yet with speed for the crease. Matrix like running is cool too, but you lose some of the middles running ability.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I think Yates will be here in the spring. JG has a big head start and if LJ cannot go in the spring gives JG a bigger shot at winning the job.

You got to know the plays, have the foot work, execute the reads correctly, read the defense, and then and only then does the other athletic factors come to play. Passing and big play capability.

I wonder if JG Orr Yates have inside capability or are they more JT like... I would like to see someone like Byerly run the offense... passing and hard nosed yet with speed for the crease. Matrix like running is cool too, but you lose some of the middles running ability.
Spring practice is going to be very,very interesting:cigar: