James Graham Highlights

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Obviously, JG has a lot of tools. It is hard to watch tape of a guy taking deep snaps and then project that to our offense. The footwork is different and the reads are very quick etc. Before he can QB for us, he needs to prove himself in these areas. JT had similar tape and it took him a RS year too.

I think some of you have formed early opinions about TO and his throwing that don't have a ton of basis. Up until now there is but a small sample size. However, during that sample his results are quite good. He has 50% completions, which I consider to be a benchmark of sorts for this offense. Additionally, his passing efficiency is nearly double that of TQM. Some things to like are that he doesn't force bad throws and tends to make good decisions when to cut the ball loose. He made our only completions against Clemson and did so under duress and on the move, putting the ball the only place it could be caught. The long TD pass to QS in the UNC game was sold with great play action and put right on the money with no chance of overthrow on a wide open guy over the top. The only real negative I can remember, where he didn't look the part, was a throw where his foot slipped at VT and the ball came out like a 12 year old threw it. At this point he hasn't been asked to make all of the throws for this offense, but he has "passed" the test so far. As far as I can remember, he has made no "garbage time" throws against weak teams to pad his stats. All of his results are against the meat of our schedule.

It took TW a couple seasons to grow into the role as passer and yes he did surpass JFN IMHO. TO can be at least that good or better in my estimation.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
My opinion on TO and passing is that if kid was a thrower he’d throw. Even in the spring games he’s not throwing. Just probably not his strong suit. He’s a good runner though. Which is why I can see him being moved to Aback if he’s beat out. So far it look like GT will be short an aback with will game time action. TO skills would transfer well to aback. Plus he’d be a larger aback, which is a need.

I’m interested in LJ & Yates (if he signs) because they add the passing dynamics to the scheme. JG because he maybe the best athlete on the team.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
You people need to get your minds right. This is the week to talk **** about the dawgs and prepare to beat them, not talk about some guy that looks like Jay Jones (who left). We should have a fun time discussing it in the off season, but we have no idea who the QB will be next year. In response to Miami and UVA shut down TO, I disagree. He barely played in the Miami game. Got one series in the UVA game and drove down the field and we had a dumb play drawn up on 4th and 1 to turn it over on downs. We'll see Saturday.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
senior year high lights.
Y’all gonna like this film. He’s an explosive runner. Elusive and fast. He’s not small either, then again he’s not big.

The play broke down and he was almost sacked in the backfield and this kid flicked his wrist and threw a bullet down field for 50 yards. Kid got a cannon. Very Vick like.

If he’s not starting next season I’ll be shocked.

Saw only one pass in six plays. Quit watching. :)

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
If he doesn’t make the 2 deep at QB next year, I think he needs to be moved to A Back.
I think he stays at QB if CPJ sees that in his future. He will be a redshirt freshman next year. Next year we have only 2 guys that have been in the program a while and one will be a senior. Look at what happened between last year and this year. Oliver went from 4 to 2.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
And we flipped him from VT (y)
Yessss. And the big question I have after watching the film (again) is: why in the name of all that's holy were people thinking of not playing Graham at QB? Ok, he's so fast and elusive he'd make a great WR, but why waste that arm? Mind, I'm glad other teams were so short sighted; sure did help our chances.

I might also refer to his two runs in the 4th at VT. If you look at the O he ran in high school, he was pretty much running up the middle a lot of the time and depending on athletic ability to carry him through (and it did). This is one reason I compared him to Vick; Vick was pretty much just out running on straight keepers when he was at VT. But look at his limited game film. The O gives him a lot more opportunity to find holes to run to then what he played in high school. I think he has a great future at Tech.

But start next year? He has two QBs with game experience in front of him and both have another year to improve. He could get through; he's pretty much in the same position as JT in 2014. But that'll be up to him and his competitors. And next year Gates will be coming in as well. His film is pretty much on a par with Graham; a half step slower, maybe a slightly better arm. Spring/fall will be interesting.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think the starting QB position is up for grabs in 2019.

How fast can JG learn footwork, plays, and learn to read the defense.

I think the battle for 2019 will look like TQMs battle against MJ and LJ. A lot will depend on if LJ can practice in the spring.

The best thing to happen to JG is to have taken 2nd/3rd string QB reps for the 2018 season.

JG, Yates, LJ, and TO make for a crowded QB position but as we have learned.... you need 4 QBs and 2 will see significant action in 2019.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think the starting QB position is up for grabs in 2019.

How fast can JG learn footwork, plays, and learn to read the defense.

I think the battle for 2019 will look like TQMs battle against MJ and LJ. A lot will depend on if LJ can practice in the spring.

The best thing to happen to JG is to have taken 2nd/3rd string QB reps for the 2018 season.

JG, Yates, LJ, and TO make for a crowded QB position but as we have learned.... you need 4 QBs and 2 will see significant action in 2019.
Lets hope the decision is made on the field this time and not because someone got hurt.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
senior year high lights.
Y’all gonna like this film. He’s an explosive runner. Elusive and fast. He’s not small either, then again he’s not big.

The play broke down and he was almost sacked in the backfield and this kid flicked his wrist and threw a bullet down field for 50 yards. Kid got a cannon. Very Vick like.

If he’s not starting next season I’ll be shocked.

I know it won’t happen but wouldn’t it be funny if #4 jumped in the huddle on Saturday’s opening drive? I wonder if Kirby would call a timeout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Let me start by saying I think James Graham is a phenomenal athlete and potentially could be a 4-year starter. He's quick, strong, and fearless. That being said, I'd like to see his Jr. film because I'm not too terribly impressed with his Sr film. He is a hell of a hard runner, decisive, and a good decision-maker. But, he doesn't show break-away speed, many of his throws are flat-footed tosses, and he doesn't express that "can't catch him" elusiveness.

I don't see what everyone else is raving about in his senior film. Granted, I also have no idea what the level of opposition he's seeing, but I'm used to seeing HS stud athletes just dominate their opponents. I don't see JG doing that.

Again, I love this kid and think he makes great decisions (which can make him a special QB, look at TW), but I'm not 100% sold on the athleticism. The Michael Vick comparisons need to be way toned down. I saw more at QB from AJ than I have from James Graham. I am 100% behind this kid succeeding. Nothing will make me happier than to be shown I'm blind.

My money is still on Johnson next year. I want to see a true dual threat guy back there. I'm excited to finish 2018 strong (2-0) and work hard for next year.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I know this might be off topic but what’s Disappointing about TaQuon’s passing ability is that it was a focal point this off season and it hasn’t improved.
I think JG can complete passes at a JT level, and the letter J has never hurt us at the QB position...

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Obviously, JG has a lot of tools. It is hard to watch tape of a guy taking deep snaps and then project that to our offense. The footwork is different and the reads are very quick etc. Before he can QB for us, he needs to prove himself in these areas. JT had similar tape and it took him a RS year too.

I think some of you have formed early opinions about TO and his throwing that don't have a ton of basis. Up until now there is but a small sample size. However, during that sample his results are quite good. He has 50% completions, which I consider to be a benchmark of sorts for this offense. Additionally, his passing efficiency is nearly double that of TQM. Some things to like are that he doesn't force bad throws and tends to make good decisions when to cut the ball loose. He made our only completions against Clemson and did so under duress and on the move, putting the ball the only place it could be caught. The long TD pass to QS in the UNC game was sold with great play action and put right on the money with no chance of overthrow on a wide open guy over the top. The only real negative I can remember, where he didn't look the part, was a throw where his foot slipped at VT and the ball came out like a 12 year old threw it. At this point he hasn't been asked to make all of the throws for this offense, but he has "passed" the test so far. As far as I can remember, he has made no "garbage time" throws against weak teams to pad his stats. All of his results are against the meat of our schedule.

It took TW a couple seasons to grow into the role as passer and yes he did surpass JFN IMHO. TO can be at least that good or better in my estimation.
I get what you are saying, but to say TO hasn’t had enough time to show he’s not a good passer, and then go on and show why he is (maybe not what you were retrying to do) isn’t really fair. Nothing against TO but there’s a reason TM is brought in when passing, and it’s been said he’s not as good as TM throwing. TO hasn’t had to really thread the needle yet either. There are reasons people are saying he’s not a good passer imo, but I’ll levae it at that.

incognito

Georgia Tech Fan
Nothing against TO but there’s a reason TM is brought in when passing, and it’s been said he’s not as good as TM throwing. There are reasons people are saying he’s not a good passer imo, but I’ll levae it at that.

That may be more of a trust issue than ability to throw the ball. TO is a RS Fr? With regard to TO's passing, from limited sample size, have seen more positive than negative.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
That may be more of a trust issue than ability to throw the ball. TO is a RS Fr? With regard to TO's passing, from limited sample size, have seen more positive than negative.
Personally I haven’t, It’s been such a small sample size. Him and TM have pretty much been the same.