Jacksonville State Postgame Discussion

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I would disagree. They got pushed off the LOS a lot. They LBs spent most of the first half running up our own DLs butt. Horrible job in tracking the ball.

It was nice to see Roof on the sidelines. He was in the face of kids that did something wrong. We need more of it.

However; until late in the game, we played soft. Left a lot of open WRs. The QB just missed them.

The D allowed 2 sustained drives. Of 11 JSU drives, only those 2 drives went over 5 plays. I know this game isn't a good barometer for D performance, but jeez, I think you're looking for nits to pick.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry, but was that not a tradition before CPJ got here?
Yep, it was but seems to have intensified somewhat of late especially the part about beating teams that most observers (going by recruiting rankings, stars, and such) would not anticipate Tech to even be competitive with much less win. See Clemson 2011, UGA 2014, UGA 2016, FSU 2015, etc.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
They better be beat up. They got no push against JSU's line, which is really good, but after Tennessee, I expect more.

The OL was worn out from the UT game 5 days previous. This is what playing on short rest does. We got initial blocks but weren't getting to the second level with the OL. ABs and WRs missed a ton of blocks as well.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
The D allowed 2 sustained drives. Of 11 JSU drives, only those 2 drives went over 5 plays. I know this game isn't a good barometer for D performance, but jeez, I think you're looking for nits to pick.

Those two drives sure did eat up a lot of clock but yes this was one of the few times it could be argued that the defense outplayed the offense. Note: I said COULD be argued.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Those two drives sure did eat up a lot of clock but yes this was one of the few times it could be argued that the defense outplayed the offense. Note: I said COULD be argued.

Yeah. I'm not a big fan of gauging our D on how they did against an FCS team, albeit a premier FCS team, I just don't get the vitriol when they did their job as well as could be expected on short rest.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. I'm not a big fan of gauging our D on how they did against an FCS team, albeit a premier FCS team, I just don't get the vitriol when they did their job as well as could be expected on short rest.

Makes sense. Coach Johnson said something in the post game press conference about the offensive line being most affected by the short week and playing a lot of snaps in an emotional loss to Tennessee. They did look like they were having problems with Jax State's line.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
(y) The thing I like about Paul is the feeling that GT can go toe to toe with anyone.:cool:

Can also lose to anyone as we saw with Duke in 2015, Middle Tennessee State, and Virginia in 2015. Generally, those times have particular circumstances that have, as a rule not been repeated much of late. Depth, especially on defense, is an ongoing concern so we will see.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Can also lose to anyone as we saw with Duke in 2015, Middle Tennessee State, and Virginia in 2015. Generally, those times have particular circumstances that have, as a rule not been repeated much of late. Depth, especially on defense, is an ongoing concern so we will see.
Depth has been a problem at GT since after Bobby Dodd retired however Bobby complained about lack of depth from time to time.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
C PJ's offense and strategy plays into and covers lack of depth...shorter games with less snaps.... genius! It just did not work with UT.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
By any measure, this was a solid game for the defense. Without their strong performance, this very well could have been a loss. 5 sacks, 3 TOs, less than 200 yards, and a bunch of 3 and outs is a good result. If any of you feel better grouping Jax St in with the rest of FCS in your mind, in order to further a certain narrative, go for it. Whatever. In my estimation they are the equivalent of a solid non power 5 FBS team or a middling power 5 team in terms of personnel and overall talent. I can't really comment on the depth of their roster, but the guys they had on the field were pretty darned good. I feel as good about this win as I did beating VANDY or UVA last year. We didn't play great today in all phases, but we stepped up and gutted out a good win under difficult circumstances.

I was very nervous heading into yesterday's game and expected it to be very difficult. The obvious stuff, like short week etc, was in my brain, but it wasn't just about physical recovery. I was also worried that they would defend us in a very different way than TENN did and without time to prepare adequately, we could suffer, especially considering the inexperience at QB and BB. It turns out, my fears were confirmed. TENN lined up off the LOS in an attempt to defeat cut blocks and rely on their athletes to make enough plays to get us off the field. They played the safe defense that some teams choose, trying to force us to go the long field without taking chances. They didn't blitz a ton of gaps and get right up on top of us at the line. Consequently, we had time to make reads and get plays started without being rushed much. JAX did more of the VT (disrupt the mesh and second read as much as possible and speed us up)defense in which utilized a ton of shifts and timed blitzes of the A gap etc. They lined up right under our nose as far as I could see. I haven't watched the replay and my seats are EZ perspective. Against the Vowels our BBs could afford to dance a little and pick a direction to go. That wasn't going to fly yesterday.