Is Jeff Monken our next coach when CPJ retires?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
GT with their high standards will make it always difficult to recruit large linemen. That's why I want the option offense to stay!

Where are people getting the notion that linemen are dumber than skill position players? There's no reason to believe that.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I will never understand why people feel we have to run a particular offensive style to be successful. We don't. We won a National Championship under Bobby Ross with Ralph Friedgen utilizing a multiple-pro offensive scheme. Then we almost had a Heisman-winning quarterback under George O'Leary utilizing the same multiple-pro set with the same offensive coordinator. So why purposely limit yourself by saying it needs to be a particular form and nothing else? Just go out and hire the best coach available. It doesn't matter what offense they run

As far as the question goes, no, I highly doubt Jeff Monken would be CPJ's successor. Nor would I particularly want him to be
We won so much before APR. And didn't flunk gate happen on O'Leary's watch? At least CPJ is helping to foster an environment of academic success and strength on the field/

I am actually not in the camp of 100% wanting triple o after CPJ is gone (though it is my favorite offense). What I do want is a coach who can come in a bring a competitive advantage against teams that have "better" athletes. Mike Leach has been successful everywhere he has been. I'd take him and he isn't triple o. The problem is it is hard to forecast what coach can provide you the winning edge. We know the triple o is an advantage, so I think most of us wouldn't mind if it stuck around.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We won so much before APR. And didn't flunk gate happen on O'Leary's watch? At least CPJ is helping to foster an environment of academic success and strength on the field/

And that has nothing to do with offensive system lol.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff

I am actually not in the camp of 100% wanting triple o after CPJ is gone (though it is my favorite offense). What I do want is a coach who can come in a bring a competitive advantage against teams that have "better" athletes. Mike Leach has been successful everywhere he has been. I'd take him and he isn't triple o. The problem is it is hard to forecast what coach can provide you the winning edge. We know the triple o is an advantage, so I think most of us wouldn't mind if it stuck around.
I can absolutely understand that many feel that Tech should go after a coach that can bring in a competitive advantage against teams that have better athletes. But that is part of what I am talking about when I say that GT should hire the best coach available. What I can't understand, however, is that some people feel that the triple option is the only system that will allow Georgia Tech to be successful and therefore we can only hire from the CPJ coaching tree. It's not the only offense that will allow Georgia Tech to win, so I'm saying don't limit yourself to just that offense and just hire the best coach available, one that might end up being a coach on the defensive side of the ball

GoldenTornado

Georgia Tech Fan
I think that we should keep the option, but I completely disagree with you that the transition will be a dumpster fire. I mean we were a pro style system, yet CPJ had no problem installing his system in his first two years.

Phil Steele calls it "flight delay" when a heavily run-oriented team like 1990's Nebraska switches to a pass-heavy offensive scheme. He always strongly implied that it's harder to switch from running to passing than it is to switch from passing to running. He doesn't talk about it nearly as much as he used to, because nowadays there are so few classic option/power running teams so there also are very few schools switching up schemes in that drastic a fashion.

A genius coach could probably win regardless of scheme, but there aren't that many genius coaches. I think we'd be at a high risk of being a dumpster fire in the first year especially. Leave off QB for a second, and we're missing some other personnel -- no tight ends, no classic pass-blocking offensive tackles, and maybe not enough true WR's (though we'd be heavily overloaded at slot receiver). Also, we've gotten basically no practice at these kinds of schemes -- no zone blocking or zone reads, no shotgun snaps, no two-point OL stances set up to pass block. It takes practice to do those things well as a team, but we don't practice them. And learning to play well in pro style or spread passing schemes particularly takes practice for a QB -- if it didn't, there would be a lot more good true freshman QB's, instead of the phrase "true freshman QB" generally giving people hives (especially FSU fans this season).

Personally I love our offense for a number of reasons. Contrarian competitive advantage, giving us a unique identity nationally, and I just think it's fun to watch us elegantly brutalize opposing defenses.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
QB’s that can throw, really? You must be talking about practice or have been watching different GT games than me this year.

We are currently ranked #129 out of 130 teams in passing yards this year!!!!

We have one WR with like 90% of our receptions and our #3 WR hasn’t even had a ball thrown his way much less a single reception. Our #2 WR has three catches thru 5 games.

I’m sorry but I would be terrified to see the spread air attack we would put together with this crew, we are literally one spot away from worst passing team in all of college football and you think we can make an easy transition to an air spread attack ???

You’re talking about what UNC does and they consistently have top 15-20 ranked recruiting classes and get the top notch talent, we can’t do that.
But our player have to go to class.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I will never understand why people feel we have to run a particular offensive style to be successful. We don't. We won a National Championship under Bobby Ross with Ralph Friedgen utilizing a multiple-pro offensive scheme. Then we almost had a Heisman-winning quarterback under George O'Leary utilizing the same multiple-pro set with the same offensive coordinator. So why purposely limit yourself by saying it needs to be a particular form and nothing else? Just go out and hire the best coach available. It doesn't matter what offense they run

As far as the question goes, no, I highly doubt Jeff Monken would be CPJ's successor. Nor would I particularly want him to be

That was 27 years ago and the same players oleary and Ross were getting in academicly are not the same now. You should know this;)

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It is a waste of breath, but times have changed. I am not sure GT could do as well as Duke if we could hire Cutcliff. We are the only school without majors to hide athletes. Please reread that last sentence. After you reread it a third time, look at the amount of money we have for coaches. Compare that to the ACC/SEC and then ask yourself which of the team coaches that spend less you want or do better than GT.

I could be wrong, but the data says what the data says. Even if we got a great hire, they would leave quickly to a higher paying job. We will not get all the hires right and will have to pay someone to be bad or pay them to coach somewhere else.

I know I cannot convince a anti CPJ person. If you don’t like this offense, you don’t like this offense and that’s ok. You have a right to not like it.

BigJacket

Banned
Phil Steele calls it "flight delay" when a heavily run-oriented team like 1990's Nebraska switches to a pass-heavy offensive scheme. He always strongly implied that it's harder to switch from running to passing than it is to switch from passing to running. He doesn't talk about it nearly as much as he used to, because nowadays there are so few classic option/power running teams so there also are very few schools switching up schemes in that drastic a fashion.

A genius coach could probably win regardless of scheme, but there aren't that many genius coaches. I think we'd be at a high risk of being a dumpster fire in the first year especially. Leave off QB for a second, and we're missing some other personnel -- no tight ends, no classic pass-blocking offensive tackles, and maybe not enough true WR's (though we'd be heavily overloaded at slot receiver). Also, we've gotten basically no practice at these kinds of schemes -- no zone blocking or zone reads, no shotgun snaps, no two-point OL stances set up to pass block. It takes practice to do those things well as a team, but we don't practice them. And learning to play well in pro style or spread passing schemes particularly takes practice for a QB -- if it didn't, there would be a lot more good true freshman QB's, instead of the phrase "true freshman QB" generally giving people hives (especially FSU fans this season).

Personally I love our offense for a number of reasons. Contrarian competitive advantage, giving us a unique identity nationally, and I just think it's fun to watch us elegantly brutalize opposing defenses.

This, + 1,000,000! Excellent explanation- "Flight Delay"

BigJacket

Banned
It is a waste of breath, but times have changed. I am not sure GT could do as well as Duke if we could hire Cutcliff. We are the only school without majors to hide athletes. Please reread that last sentence. After you reread it a third time, look at the amount of money we have for coaches. Compare that to the ACC/SEC and then ask yourself which of the team coaches that spend less you want or do better than GT.

I could be wrong, but the data says what the data says. Even if we got a great hire, they would leave quickly to a higher paying job. We will not get all the hires right and will have to pay someone to be bad or pay them to coach somewhere else.

I know I cannot convince a anti CPJ person. If you don’t like this offense, you don’t like this offense and that’s ok. You have a right to not like it.

This, excellent point and another issue I didn't bring up. GT is always at risk to have the factory schools/NFL just pluck our successful head coaches in football. It's another big issue we have to deal with not having the funds to keep an excellent staff here.

Having CPJ and Stansbury is truly unique and we will never have to worry about either of those guys jumping ship at a better offer. Once a change is made at HC, I think it will be an issue with any successful coach we have, unless we stick with Option football.

Also, agree Cutcliff wouldn't do well here. The Majors thing is such a limitation, our choices are very limited to be competitive and we have to play money ball (aka unique system) to be successful.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We need a HC that will improve recruiting. Neither Gailey nor Johnson were/are anywhere near good recruiters. While we have limitations in that regards people are too willing to use that as an excuse and accept that there is no way to improve.

I disagree with the comment about Chan's ability to recruit. Go back and look at the 2007 roster. I think the ENTIRE DL drew a check from the league. That was Walker, D. Richard, Johnson and Morgan. Plus a bunch of others who also played at the next level (Gardner, Brooks, Dwyer, Burnett, Brooks, BeBe... maybe a couple of the LB's?) Chan had the type of talent that teams in Athens or Miami have. His issues at Tech WERE not recruiting.

In fact, having the entire DL play at the next level may be the SINGLE most amazing recruiting feat that has ever been accomplished at GT in my 4 decades + of following GT. Signing CJ may be the second most amazing thing.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Where are people getting the notion that linemen are dumber than skill position players? There's no reason to believe that.
GT tends with it's high academic standards not to be able to get as large offensive and defensive linemen as other schools. The triple option is a great offense for schools that tend to have smaller linemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.