Is Jeff Monken our next coach when CPJ retires?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Why, it’s really our only advantage over other teams with all the limitations we have here. It gives us a fighting chance to compete with factory schools and beat them every once in a while. Every opposing coach and teams HATES going against the option. Why do you think every team wants a bye week before us ?

You do realize when GT hires a new coach that tries to transition us to a totally new offense we will be a dumpster fire for several to numerous years. We will have players that are round pegs and will be trying to force them into a square hole with a new system. GT can’t recruit with the big boys, I’m good running the option like the service academies for the next 50 years. Just keep plucking their coaches and Monken looks to be a good one and knows what GT is about

Yeah, the same way we were when CPJ came in in 2008. Nobody on that team was recruited for this O back then either.

And don't forget -

We could never hire anyone better than ccg

And there were ZERO S/As in the state of GA we could recruit.

BigJacket

Banned
I think that we should keep the option, but I completely disagree with you that the transition will be a dumpster fire. I mean we were a pro style system, yet CPJ had no problem installing his system in his first two years.

You just proved my point. He had no problem because they System is what’s so unique and different and allowed him to be successful early on. Teams weren’t used to it and it was to our advantage. Going the other way and trasitioning to another more current offense will completely take away our advantage that we had with Option.

Transitioning to the option is way easier than going away from it. Let’s face it our roster is full of three star guys and it’s because of the system that lets us compete with big boys.

Take that away and we are Duke or UVA. We will have some Bill L*wis dumpster Fire years when option goes away, our OL is built with small fast guys, and our QB takes all the snaps under center, it’s way different and it will be a round peg in a square hole when that day comes, but hopefully we stick with Option for the foreseeable future

Last edited:
Reactions: Eli

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
You just proved my point. He had no problem because they System is what’s so unique and different and allowed him to be successful early on. Going the other way and trasitioning to another more current offense will completely take away our advantage that we had with Option.

Transitioning to the option is way easier than going away from it. Let’s face it our roster is full of three star guys and the system lets us compete with big boys. Take that away and we are Duke or UVA. We will have some Bill L*wis years when option goeas away, our OL built with small fast guys, way different and it will be a round peg in a square hole

Never, ever, even in abstract, talk about the one who's name shall never be mentioned!!!! 30 lashes for you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

THWG

Helluva Engineer
You just proved my point. He had no problem because they System is what’s so unique and different and allowed him to be successful early on. Going the other way and trasitioning to another more current offense will completely take away our advantage that we had with Option.

Transitioning to option way easier than going away from it. Let’s face it our roster is full of three star guys and the system lets us compete with big boys. Take that away and we are Duke or UVA. We will have some Bill L*wis years when option goeas away, our OL built with small fast guys, way different and it will be a round peg in a square hole
Are you kidding me? We could easily become a spread team that runs a lot of screens and quick passes. The A backs would become slot receivers, we have quarterbacks that can throw the ball, and an oline on a spread team doesn't have to be that big. Other systems can work here, but like you, I want us to keep the option. I love watching it.

BigJacket

Banned
Are you kidding me? We could easily become a spread team that runs a lot of screens and quick passes. The A backs would become slot receivers, we have quarterbacks that can throw the ball, and an oline on a spread team doesn't have to be that big. Other systems can work here, but like you, I want us to keep the option. I love watching it.

QB’s that can throw, really? You must be talking about practice or have been watching different GT games than me this year.

We are currently ranked #129 out of 130 teams in passing yards this year!!!!

We have one WR with like 90% of our receptions and our #3 WR hasn’t even had a ball thrown his way much less a single reception. Our #2 WR has three catches thru 5 games.

I’m sorry but I would be terrified to see the spread air attack we would put together with this crew, we are literally one spot away from worst passing team in all of college football and you think we can make an easy transition to an air spread attack ???

You’re talking about what UNC does and they consistently have top 15-20 ranked recruiting classes and get the top notch talent, we can’t do that.

Last edited:

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
You’re talking about what UNC does and they consistently have top 15-20 ranked recruiting classes and get the top notch talent, we can’t do that.
Exactly. And just remind me. How many ACC Championships does UNC have running their offensive system?

Reactions: Eli

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We don't need an option HC. We need a HC that will improve recruiting. Neither Gailey nor Johnson were/are anywhere near good recruiters. While we have limitations in that regards people are too willing to use that as an excuse and accept that there is no way to improve. The OC can run whatever offense, and sticking with the option does have the advantage of already having the players that fit the system, but we shouldn't make the HC hire just to keep a certain offense. Especially since the past several years the offense has neither been putting teams away nor winning shootouts. It's winning when we hold teams under 28.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
QB’s that can throw, really? You must be talking about practice or have been watching different GT games than me this year.

We are currently ranked #129 out of 130 teams in passing yards this year!!!!

We have one WR with like 90% of our receptions and our #3 WR hasn’t even had a ball thrown his way much less a single reception. Our #2 WR has three catches thru 5 games.

I’m sorry but I would be terrified to see the spread air attack we would put together with this crew, we are literally one spot away from worst passing team in all of college football and you think we can make an easy transition to an air spread attack ???

Have you watched Lucas Johnson's film or Jay Jones'? Those guys can sling the football and both played in spread offenses in high school. Again, I love the option and don't want to go away from it, but to believe that we can't use another system effectively is just ignorant.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
We don't need an option HC. We need a HC that will improve recruiting. Neither Gailey nor Johnson were/are anywhere near good recruiters. While we have limitations in that regards people are too willing to use that as an excuse and accept that there is no way to improve. The OC can run whatever offense, and sticking with the option does have the advantage of already having the players that fit the system, but we shouldn't make the HC hire just to keep a certain offense. Especially since the past several years the offense has neither been putting teams away nor winning shootouts. It's winning when we hold teams under 28.
GT with their high standards will make it always difficult to recruit large linemen. That's why I want the option offense to stay!

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Have you watched Lucas Johnson's film or Jay Jones'? Those guys can sling the football and both played in spread offenses in high school. Again, I love the option and don't want to go away from it, but to believe that we can't use another system effectively is just ignorant.
Coach Johnson said himself this week he wants to throw the ball more. He said he challenged the offense this week to get better and be able to pass more. This offense can definitely throw, the limitation isn't the scheme.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
I will never understand why people feel we have to run a particular offensive style to be successful. We don't. We won a National Championship under Bobby Ross with Ralph Friedgen utilizing a multiple-pro offensive scheme. Then we almost had a Heisman-winning quarterback under George O'Leary utilizing the same multiple-pro set with the same offensive coordinator. So why purposely limit yourself by saying it needs to be a particular form and nothing else? Just go out and hire the best coach available. It doesn't matter what offense they run

As far as the question goes, no, I highly doubt Jeff Monken would be CPJ's successor. Nor would I particularly want him to be

Status
Not open for further replies.