Is Jeff Monken our next coach when CPJ retires?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It's not the only offense that will allow Georgia Tech to win, so I'm saying don't limit yourself to just that offense and just hire the best coach available, one that might end up being a coach on the defensive side of the ball

I've been saying this for a LONG time. CPJ's offense gives us an advantage...no doubt about that. But there are other other coaches who can make a LOT out of little just like CPJ does. Willie Fritz (who was GA Southern's coach when GSU almost gave us a heart attack, and also beat Jeff Monken's Army team earlier this year) also runs an option based offense. He's just a darn good coach. Bob Stitt at Montana who use to coach non-scholarship Colorado School of Mines, is widely considered one of the best offensive minds. He's now at Montana and led them to an upset of powerhouse North Dakota State his first game. Another coach that intrigues me is Penn State's offensive coordinator, Joe Moorhead, who had a great HC career at Fordham. Turned them around from a 1-10 team to a perrenial playoff team. His offensive schemes are being widely copied right now as each play is an RPO within an RPO. He's been doing it before Penn State, and his offense made UConn a conference champion. He'll be snapped up by a good program way before CPJ retires though. His offense is recruit friendly in term so offensive players will line up to play in that system.

Point is, let's enjoy CPJ's time here for as long as he wants to stay. But let's not box ourselves into thinking we need to stay within CPJ's tree. If that's what happens I'll be fine with it, but in no way should GT eliminate a LOT of other options out there just because they don't run CPJ's offense.

EDIT: Here's more on Moorhead

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/09/20/joe-moorhead-penn-state-offense-fordham

Last edited:

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
I've been saying this for a LONG time. CPJ's offense gives us an advantage...no doubt about that. But there are other other coaches who can make a LOT out of little just like CPJ does. Willie Fritz (who was GA Southern's coach when GSU almost gave us a heart attack, and also beat Jeff Monken's Army team earlier this year) also runs an option based offense. He's just a darn good coach. Bob Stitt at Montana who use to coach non-scholarship Colorado School of Mines, is widely considered one of the best offensive minds. He's now at Montana and led them to an upset of powerhouse North Dakota State his first game. Another coach that intrigues me is Penn State's offensive coordinator, Joe Moorhead, who had a great HC career at Fordham. Turned them around from a 1-10 team to a perrenial playoff team. His offensive schemes are being widely copied right now as each play is an RPO within an RPO. He's been doing it before Penn State, and his offense made UConn a conference champion. He'll be snapped up by a good program way before CPJ retires though. His offense is recruit friendly in term so offensive players will line up to play in that system.

Point is, let's enjoy CPJ's time here for as long as he wants to stay. But let's not box ourselves into thinking we need to stay within CPJ's tree. If that's what happens I'll be fine with it, but in no way should GT eliminate a LOT of other options out there just because they don't run CPJ's offense.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/09/20/joe-moorhead-penn-state-offense-fordham
This is exactly what I'm saying

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Cough** George Godsey** cough

Trouble is, he seems to be pursuing an NFL career, and that is a different sport than college football. My concern about Godsey is inadequate P5 coaching experience--just like our last 2 coaching hires. He's a smart guy though.

If we are going with coaching trees, I hope we get back to the Ross coaching tree. However, Techster's point is correct.

Recruiting comes first, which is why Dabo was such a good hire for Clemson. He was a real estate salesman 15 years ago, and a position coach when Clemson hired him. Hire a recruiter and administrator as HC. Spend the money and hire coordinators to coach. This program would be in better shape with Gailey as head coach and Paul Johnson as OC--and the AD tells Gailey not to touch the offense. Not realistic, of course, just throwing out an example.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

Trouble is, he seems to be pursuing an NFL career, and that is a different sport than college football. My concern about Godsey is inadequate P5 coaching experience--just like our last 2 coaching hires. He's a smart guy though.

If we are going with coaching trees, I hope we get back to the Ross coaching tree. However, Techster's point is correct.

Recruiting comes first, which is why Dabo was such a good hire for Clemson. He was a real estate salesman 15 years ago, and a position coach when Clemson hired him. Hire a recruiter and administrator as HC. Spend the money and hire coordinators to coach. This program would be in better shape with Gailey as head coach and Paul Johnson as OC--and the AD tells Gailey not to touch the offense. Not realistic, of course, just throwing out an example.
Scott Satterfield of Appalachian State or Brian Bohannon of Kennesaw State would be two good future head coaches for GT when CPJ retires:cool:

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Since recruiting is so important in college football, how do you guys rate Johnson as a recruiter?

I wonder whether Mama wants her son to play for a foul mouthed, mean coach. Mom and Pop see Johnson on the sidelines grabbing kids by the face mask and cussing them out.

I compare this to the movie "The Blind Side" where all the coaches are schmoozing the recruit. Where someone like Saben comes in all polished and smooth. Or Richt. Charming the mothers and fathers.

I have no idea how CPJ is in the family room or around the kitchen table with recruits. Does he do well with Mom and Pop?

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't want Bohannon. At least not yet. And not even necessarily Monken. I would like a coach that has been tested at the P5 level a bit more. I'd love to have Charlie Strong. The kind of culture he fosters fits really well with GT and he seems like a great recruiter and defensive coach. I know he'll be picked up before CPJ retires though (which I believe he said would be about 2020). As for whoever ends up as OC, I'm fine if it isn't an option guy. As Yomanser says, take the best available. Good coaches get the most of their players. I don't know if our offense does well purely because of scheme or if it's just because CPJ is just a damn good offensive coach.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Since recruiting is so important in college football, how do you guys rate Johnson as a recruiter?

I wonder whether Mama wants her son to play for a foul mouthed, mean coach. Mom and Pop see Johnson on the sidelines grabbing kids by the face mask and cussing them out.

I compare this to the movie "The Blind Side" where all the coaches are schmoozing the recruit. Where someone like Saben comes in all polished and smooth. Or Richt. Charming the mothers and fathers.

I have no idea how CPJ is in the family room or around the kitchen table with recruits. Does he do well with Mom and Pop?
They're all foul mouthed and mean. You think Saban is a basket of puppies? Maybe they are all not writing love letters, like Kiffin has.
PJ goes in and sells the school and how the kid is going to get treated at college - the good side of it, with tutoring and off the field stuff that helps them later in life. And I think PJ does some things that connect with the kids, too, such as the video of him having the freshmen over to his house during summer and schooling them all in pool.
The guys I knew at Southern who played for him swear by him. Now, he's different than Erk. The guys I knew at Southern would run through a brick wall for Erk. But everything I've ever heard from guys who played for PJ is that he is a stand up guy and expects nothing but your best all day, every day. That, and he is absolutely one of the funniest people in the world.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

Goose + Fridgen as a package deal.
Goose HC with Fridgen as OC.

I like Willie Fritz as well but he's struggling a bit at Tulane.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer

You hush, you. Stitt is coming to UVa when bronco gets canned. I believe.

Phil Steele calls it "flight delay" when a heavily run-oriented team like 1990's Nebraska switches to a pass-heavy offensive scheme. He always strongly implied that it's harder to switch from running to passing than it is to switch from passing to running. He doesn't talk about it nearly as much as he used to, because nowadays there are so few classic option/power running teams so there also are very few schools switching up schemes in that drastic a fashion.

A genius coach could probably win regardless of scheme, but there aren't that many genius coaches. I think we'd be at a high risk of being a dumpster fire in the first year especially. Leave off QB for a second, and we're missing some other personnel -- no tight ends, no classic pass-blocking offensive tackles, and maybe not enough true WR's (though we'd be heavily overloaded at slot receiver). Also, we've gotten basically no practice at these kinds of schemes -- no zone blocking or zone reads, no shotgun snaps, no two-point OL stances set up to pass block. It takes practice to do those things well as a team, but we don't practice them. And learning to play well in pro style or spread passing schemes particularly takes practice for a QB -- if it didn't, there would be a lot more good true freshman QB's, instead of the phrase "true freshman QB" generally giving people hives (especially FSU fans this season).

Personally I love our offense for a number of reasons. Contrarian competitive advantage, giving us a unique identity nationally, and I just think it's fun to watch us elegantly brutalize opposing defenses.
Very funny, using "genius" and "coaches" in the same sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.