Implications of GT being relevant in recruiting

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not even close. I would be willing to bet 35/40 of the top 50 are qualifiers for Tech.

You guys are absolutely drifting off into never, never land. 35/40 of the top 50 are certainly not qualifiers for Tech. I was 3rd in my class in a highly regarded high school with a 1380 on the SAT's and was in the bottom third of my class. I held my breath. Now you guys are trying to tell me that guys that have devoted there entire life to football with absolutely no regard to academics all want to swarm to one of the top STEM schools in the country! Get a fuc##$g grip! People that say this kind of thing have no idea what Georgia Tech is!

I am absolutely not trying to put down any efforts of the new staff. I wish them wonderful luck in building Georgia Tech football into the best it can be. But please color your thoughts with a small bit of sanity.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
This is where I am conflicted. I want like heck for every prospect to think of Tech as a warm and nurturing place. And I certainly hope they don't read some of the more candid comments on here.

But.

College sports have changed dramatically since the days of Bobby Dodd. Fewer players today are college ready even as their athletic skills have increased exponentially. Tech has to thread the needle more than ever. I want us to be able to talk about that honestly without doing damage. Georgia in particular has a problem with failing schools and underperforming students. Uga will always have an easier time negotiating this landscape than Tech will. But I want us to do better and I am pulling for CGC 100%.

We actually agree because I'm not saying we want kids to come here who can't, and shouldn't be at GT because they aren't equipped to succeed even with the amount of help they can get as student-athletes. But why let everyone else create the narrative before they even get into our sphere of influence that they shouldn't even WANT to try and handle it because it's not worth it. There was that cool video where Brent Key is talking to a bunch of kids (and some mentors) in the room and he's pointing out how technology is everywhere and why wouldn't you want to be someone who knows something about it. What if 25% of the kids in the room heard that along with the mentors in the room who advise those kids. Maybe the other 75% didn't really care and that's fine. But those 25%, and perhaps more importantly those mentors, may become interested in what we have to offer and then the coaches can work with those interested to find the ones who CAN and WILL work hard enough to make it AND are talented enough on the field to make a difference.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You guys are absolutely drifting off into never, never land. 35/40 of the top 50 are certainly not qualifiers for Tech. I was 3rd in my class in a highly regarded high school with a 1380 on the SAT's and was in the bottom third of my class. I held my breath. Now you guys are trying to tell me that guys that have devoted there entire life to football with absolutely no regard to academics all want to swarm to one of the top STEM schools in the country! Get a fuc##$g grip! People that say this kind of thing have no idea what Georgia Tech is!

I am absolutely not trying to put down any efforts of the new staff. I wish them wonderful luck in building Georgia Tech football into the best it can be. But please color your thoughts with a small bit of sanity.

GT recruits do not have the same standards as GT general student population, otherwise GT would be playing in the NAIA. GT can't just recruit anyone, but you can't compare the general student population requirements and say recruits are held to the same standard. They are not...not even close.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

You are right. I have no clue about GT at all.

It is outrageous to think 60-70% of GA top 50 could have a core 3.0 and pop 1000-1100 SAT or 22 ACT

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When my daughter was applying for colleges in 2012 we talked to the GT admissions office about her scores. Her overall ACT and SAT scores were OK (not great) but her math scores were a problem. They told her that 85% of the incoming freshmen at GT scored 700 or better on the math portion of the SAT. Her scores were flipped the other way. That is why she went to Georgia Southern.

That is the kicker when it comes to admission at Tech.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think there is a solid chance that CGC will improve our recruiting significantly.

I think the row is harder to hoe than many of our most optimistic. However, we'll see.

I disagree with the tendency among some to paint their hopes as facts and disagreements as attacks.

Here's some Facts: Some of us have expressed our displeasure with Brent Key for years. This displeasure was expressed again during the vacancy.

Conclusion: Anyone who paints an attack on Key as part of a problem of attacking the staff should either be more thoughtful or less divisive.

Corollary: If you want to see what attacking the staff looks like, type Sewak into the forum's Search bar.

Animal02

Banned
I think there is a solid chance that CGC will improve our recruiting significantly.

I think the row is harder to hoe than many of our most optimistic. However, we'll see.

I disagree with the tendency among some to paint their hopes as facts and disagreements as attacks.

Here's some Facts: Some of us have expressed our displeasure with Brent Key for years. This displeasure was expressed again during the vacancy.

Conclusion: Anyone who paints an attack on Key as part of a problem of attacking the staff should either be more thoughtful or less divisive.

Corollary: If you want to see what attacking the staff looks like, type Sewak into the forum's Search bar.
I saw a FB post....some delusional person was say "Watch out Clemson.....new dynasty coming" :rolleyes:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We actually agree because I'm not saying we want kids to come here who can't, and shouldn't be at GT because they aren't equipped to succeed even with the amount of help they can get as student-athletes. But why let everyone else create the narrative before they even get into our sphere of influence that they shouldn't even WANT to try and handle it because it's not worth it. There was that cool video where Brent Key is talking to a bunch of kids (and some mentors) in the room and he's pointing out how technology is everywhere and why wouldn't you want to be someone who knows something about it. What if 25% of the kids in the room heard that along with the mentors in the room who advise those kids. Maybe the other 75% didn't really care and that's fine. But those 25%, and perhaps more importantly those mentors, may become interested in what we have to offer and then the coaches can work with those interested to find the ones who CAN and WILL work hard enough to make it AND are talented enough on the field to make a difference.
Agree 100%.

And the scenario you lay out is very exciting.

My conflicting feelings were over how much we ought to be able to honestly discuss the challenge of finding good athletes who also have both interest and aptitude to do STEM work at Tech.

Perhaps my question is about whether future recruits even have access to these conversations on here. It sounded from some of the concerns expressed that we shouldn't have an honest dialogue on this site about recruiting challenges because high school students are poring over these pages.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is where I am conflicted. I want like heck for every prospect to think of Tech as a warm and nurturing place. And I certainly hope they don't read some of the more candid comments on here.

But.

College sports have changed dramatically since the days of Bobby Dodd. Fewer players today are college ready even as their athletic skills have increased exponentially. Tech has to thread the needle more than ever. I want us to be able to talk about that honestly without doing damage. Georgia in particular has a problem with failing schools and underperforming students. Uga will always have an easier time negotiating this landscape than Tech will. But I want us to do better and I am pulling for CGC 100%.

A little off the subject, I guess, but school choice and competition could really go a long way in helping this, in my opinion. So many of the public schools, with lifetime tenure, are failing our kids, but of course, a lot of their parents are also failing those kids. It does NOT have to continue this way, with declining academic performance, but if you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always got, or it will get worse.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Why does any of that matter? None of it changes the fact that by being demeaning in the attitude towards the recruits one hurts our ability to recruit.

But I'll answer your question. I don't really care about the other schools. It doesn't matter to me that we make fun of them just like they make fun of us. And the fact that fans of schools make fun of other schools does not make it a good idea to be degrading to the RECRUITS themselves. And, IMHO, that's what is happening when people continuously say that most of them are too lazy to "play school." Note once again that I'm not disagreeing that many of the kids out there don't want to "play school." I'm suggesting that it's not a good look to keep reminding people of that while we're trying to change the perception of what Tech has to offer academically since we can't change the actual course offerings and degrees.

It only matters as I was curious how consistent your philosophy on this topic is.

And imho I think you are grossly over calculating the impact posters here, and their stated opinions here, have on any prospective recruit.

If I’m wrong about that and you are right...my god this forum must have done incredible damage to our program with the anti Roof, anti Sewak, anti CPJ, anti Woody, rants. If you are correct it may actually be the fault of GTSwarm that CPJ and company didn’t make the playoffs multiple years running. :rolleyes:

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck

You do know the academic standards for tech are available on the University System of Georgia website under the minimum requirements for a Research institution section. And we have waivers for people that don’t hit that? And all of this is publically available and the AJC did a study about that? Theoretically all 50 could be qualifiers with waivers as long as they can read and write. One guy with a 960 got accepted into GT for football during the AJC study.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Agree 100%.

And the scenario you lay out is very exciting.

My conflicting feelings were over how much we ought to be able to honestly discuss the challenge of finding good athletes who also have both interest and aptitude to do STEM work at Tech.

Perhaps my question is about whether future recruits even have access to these conversations on here. It sounded from some of the concerns expressed that we shouldn't have an honest dialogue on this site about recruiting challenges because high school students are poring over these pages.

Ah I see where you're coming from. And there's absolutely nothing at all wrong with having that honest dialogue here or anywhere even if the kids are poring over these pages, which I doubt (though I know occasionally parents have been known to peruse board pages). Where I think we sometimes go overboard as a fanbase is helping perpetuate the idea that GT is not a challenge that kids should aspire to be able to handle and that, as a whole, high level athletes can't and/or won't do the work. The truth is that @dressedcheeseside is completely right that there is a high percentage of these kids who do not have the desire to do the work. In fact I will go so far as to say that most kids don't really have the desire to do the work that is required to excel at GT. There's nothing wrong with you, me, or anyone saying that anywhere on any medium. It's the truth and it isn't insulting to anyone and, if it scares away some athletes and students then it probably should. But let's be mindful that there actually are high level athletes who can do the work, who are willing to do the work, or who are at least willing to hear what it really takes because what GT offers is worth it and we have coaches who are good at communicating that message in a way that more of these high level athletes might be able to hear.