Implications of GT being relevant in recruiting

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Ah I see where you're coming from. And there's absolutely nothing at all wrong with having that honest dialogue here or anywhere even if the kids are poring over these pages, which I doubt (though I know occasionally parents have been known to peruse board pages). Where I think we sometimes go overboard as a fanbase is helping perpetuate the idea that GT is not a challenge that kids should aspire to be able to handle and that, as a whole, high level athletes can't and/or won't do the work. The truth is that @dressedcheeseside is completely right that there is a high percentage of these kids who do not have the desire to do the work. In fact I will go so far as to say that most kids don't really have the desire to do the work that is required to excel at GT. There's nothing wrong with you, me, or anyone saying that anywhere on any medium. It's the truth and it isn't insulting to anyone and, if it scares away some athletes and students then it probably should. But let's be mindful that there actually are high level athletes who can do the work, who are willing to do the work, or who are at least willing to hear what it really takes because what GT offers is worth it and we have coaches who are good at communicating that message in a way that more of these high level athletes might be able to hear.

Very reasonable post. (FYI - "pouring over these pages") The biggest challenge for this new staff, assuming they are able to sign more high recruits, will be to make sure the academic support staff and accountability partners are sufficient - got to get them through that initial "transition", so that we can keep them. (try to not let happen too often what happened to JG - work becomes much harder after a "hole" is dug)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Very reasonable post. (FYI - "pouring over these pages") The biggest challenge for this new staff, assuming they are able to sign more high recruits, will be to make sure the academic support staff and accountability partners are sufficient - got to get them through that initial "transition", so that we can keep them. (try to not let happen too often what happened to JG)

If the staff focuses as much on academic support as they do off season workouts we will be fine. They have clearly stated an expectation for our players to excel in every endeavor as SAs.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
I think all would be surprised by how low the "actual" bar for football admits is at GT. It benefited me of course, but there is really no material difference in standards between GT and UGA or Duke or Vandy.

Everyone largely has kids with similar levels of achievement in HS. Sure GT and Duke and GT have many more "outliers" that hit the top of the scale but the fat part of the bell curve is relatively static between P5 schools

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think all would be surprised by how low the "actual" bar for football admits is at GT. It benefited me of course, but there is really no material difference in standards between GT and UGA or Duke or Vandy.

Everyone largely has kids with similar levels of achievement in HS. Sure GT and Duke and GT have many more "outliers" that hit the top of the scale but the fat part of the bell curve is relatively static between P5 schools

I imagine the difference between Tech and those other schools lies more in staying eligible than actually getting in. We seem to have a solid academic support staff to help our SAs succeed.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
https://ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/roster/

I went through the first 12 names on the list there.

2 MEs. 1 IE. 1 CS.

The rest were split between Business Administration and Literature, Media and Communications.

The idea that you need to be an aspriring engineer to get into Tech is severely outdated.

I was at GT from 1982-85 - it was the same then. None of us "old guys" think that the GREAT majority of these guys would be in the engineering schools. But, even our Business and L,M, & C provide more academic challenge than most FB players see at other schools.

But, and I always need to include the "but", for those athletes that accept the challenge, their lives will be BETTER for it.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
It only matters as I was curious how consistent your philosophy on this topic is.

And imho I think you are grossly over calculating the impact posters here, and their stated opinions here, have on any prospective recruit.

If I’m wrong about that and you are right...my god this forum must have done incredible damage to our program with the anti Roof, anti Sewak, anti CPJ, anti Woody, rants. If you are correct it may actually be the fault of GTSwarm that CPJ and company didn’t make the playoffs multiple years running. :rolleyes:

Let me address the second point first by saying my point is not about individual posters and what they say on a specific message board. We actually agree on the impact of what one poster says. I seriously doubt that kids are coming to this, or any other board, and perusing what's said. I think there's the occasional parent who does that but not in any large numbers. What I'm talking about is that what's said here is representative of the narratives that are out there that we (not the "we here on this message board" but more the "we the GT fanbase") help perpetuate with the way we are viewed. We are viewed in certain ways because there are lots of other fanbases out there that think of us similarly to how we characterize UVA fans, for example. And many of those people are mentors or friends or other people that kids do get influenced by.

On the first point I don't think your question actually goes to establishing any consistency because I don't think the two things you are trying to connect are actually connected. I don't think there's a relationship between ribbing other fan bases and being demeaning to groups of athletes. I think those are two completely different topics. Now if you ask, instead, what my philosophy is on seriously characterizing all UGA fans as uneducated jackholes then there's some connectivity between that and my philosophy of labeling all athletes with negative stereotypes. And I go a long way towards trying to tell people, for example, that as much as we talk down about other schools that it is possible to get a fantastic education at most colleges and the fact that a kid who says "Academics are important to me" can actually be serious about that and NOT choose GT over some other school, even one perceived as a factory, and still focus on his education. BTW my philosophy on seriously characterizing all UGA fans as uneducated jackholes is that it does offend me and I don't do that.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
I imagine the difference between Tech and those other schools lies more in staying eligible than actually getting in. We seem to have a solid academic support staff to help our SAs succeed.

I would agree thats correct.

But the coursework, in my experience, at scheller is really not that hard with a bit of effort.

Honestly, it all comes down to kids being willing to put in some effort in class

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Now GT has let it be known that their standards are well above the NCAA avg.

But along with those numbers you also have to have:

3 yrs of foreign language
4 yrs of HS math (calc 1, statistics,)

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
It's not just calculus. The run of the mill courses at Tech are way harder than the same classes at other schools.
That's just not true, no offense. Some are. Some aren't. And this comes directly from those who have taken those courses within the last few decades, including myself.

Now I guess that can depend on your categorization of "run of the mill" and whether you're using hyperbole.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

One of the things that really irritates me about that article is the author not stating actual SAT score averages of SAs but simply comparing them to the student body as a whole at each individual school.

At Tech the scores of the entire student body are very high compared to the vast majority of schools we compete with athletically. A SA with a SAT score in the bottom quartile of the rest of the student body at Tech almost always has a respectable SAT score compared to the vast majority of high school seniors in state. This is not at all true at uga.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
That's just not true, no offense. Some are. Some aren't. And this comes directly from those who have taken those courses within the last few decades, including myself.

Now I guess that can depend on your categorization of "run of the mill" and whether you're using hyperbole.

Well, if every class was a "ball buster", then VERY FEW athletes, except those whose lifelong dream was to play at GT, would want to attend. The difference I saw at other schools was that, at least what I saw, there were almost no classes that the profs made overly difficult. Like another poster said, if the kid is willing to put in effort (I know this should be a given, but it is NOT), they can get through the GT curriculum, especially in the business school.

Animal02

Banned

2 MEs. 1 IE. 1 CS.

The rest were split between Business Administration and Literature, Media and Communications.

The idea that you need to be an aspriring engineer to get into Tech is severely outdated.
Another false spin..No one has said you HAD to major in engineering. But outside of that the choice are extremely limited. Not every one is interested is business. Tech has about 40 majors....a school like Mich St...150

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
He did though, or at least gave an example... that Tech's incoming freshman class averaged a 1445.

Yes but he didn’t provide that same info for our SAs. That’s my entire point. All he provided regarding our SAs was that their scores ranked in the bottom quartile of the very high SAT scores amongst the entire student body.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

2 MEs. 1 IE. 1 CS.

We had a FB player in the late 60's or early 70's that was a lineman that had the highest GPA in electical engineering. I think he played a little pro ball. I had some EE classes with Herman Lamm who was a WR. There was a player that was a year ahead of me on the team in early 70's that was a year behind me when I got my BEE degree. It is not easy for these players to get engineering degrees. I cannot imagine a computer science major. Those take hours of programing time. I spent more time rewriting bad code than my base EE subjects. It's all about how much time do they have in a day.