Implications of GT being relevant in recruiting

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
When I was in high school almost nobody taught calculus until college. The uga coaches used that meme to scare high school boys away from GT. Now almost every high school has calculus and the word is not as scary to them. The negative used now is probably that GT is not a top tier program. That is the branding Collins is trying to change. If he does, then the Calc meme may return in some form.

High schools may offer cal or pre-cal but it’s not a required class to get their diplomas.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Since I’ve been the most vocal against CBK I’ll assume you two are referring to me. And you are both conflating many things erroneously.

I’ve always said Tech can win at the highest levels. Not every year but occasionally enough. Said it for O’Leary, Gaily, Paul, and now CGC. Do I think it’s harder at Tech than a typical factory? Of course. It will take a lot of change to make me think it’s not harder at Tech typically.

What negativity is being thrown at the staff? Yeah I’ve made it clear I don’t like Key and why. What other negativity is being thrown at any other staff member???

Those who are waiting to see games played before annointing this staff as amazing are not being negative toward the staff. They are taking a wait and see approach.

Other than Key I challenge both of you to cite / quote all of this negativity you imply I’ve “thrown” at the staff.

Other than my own posts I challenge you both to cite / quote “negative” posts from others about the staff.

If you can’t do the above without solely citing pragmatic wait and see type posts....you are both either deranged, deluded, or trolling.

I contend there is no widespread negativity. There does appear to be widespread demand for group think that validates your own opinions. That’s very odd behavior imo.

I'm probably going to get my hand smacked for this by the mods, but I think I'll finally respond to one of your posts as I've pretty much been ignoring anything you posted here due to an incident a while ago.

If you feel that I was referring to you, then that's your own guilty conscience speaking to you. After, and this is by your own admissions so I feel like I can reiterate what you like to boast about, you've admitted in taking pride in liquoring up (which makes your font all the more appropriate I guess) and running your mouth and insulting posters at a middle school level, I pretty much quit paying attention to anything you wrote and had no interests in replying to anything from you that was addressed to me or not. So again, if you think you were in any way a thought when I wrote my OP, I'm sad to inform you you are quite mistaken but I guess sometimes you like to feel important?

There's a few posters on here that it's no secret I disagree with (like @dressedcheeseside and @Animal02 ) but the thing is at the end of the day I know they are GT through and through...we just disagree about how GT can get to where we want our school to be, the degree of difficulty for certain things (like recruiting). We keep it above the line in our disagreements. Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing about you, and therefore I'm happy to not engage you at all. I've made mention that there are only a few posters on here I ignore. So congratulations on that part.

Now back to our regular programming...

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Yep. The main question has been whether they are avoiding us because of academics or because they don't think we play big time football. I think this staff is going to figure out the answer to that question.

I think it’s those things and more. More has to be improved than even just an entire new staff if any improvements are going to be maintained.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm probably going to get my hand smacked for this by the mods, but I think I'll finally respond to one of your posts as I've pretty much been ignoring anything you posted here due to an incident a while ago.

If you feel that I was referring to you, then that's your own guilty conscience speaking to you. After, and this is by your own admissions so I feel like I can reiterate what you like to boast about, you've admitted in taking pride in liquoring up (which makes your font all the more appropriate I guess) and running your mouth and insulting posters at a middle school level, I pretty much quit paying attention to anything you wrote and had no interests in replying to anything from you that was addressed to me or not. So again, if you think you were in any way a thought when I wrote my OP, I'm sad to inform you you are quite mistaken but I guess sometimes you like to feel important?

There's a few posters on here that it's no secret I disagree with (like @dressedcheeseside and @Animal02 ) but the thing is at the end of the day I know they are GT through and through...we just disagree about how GT can get to where we want our school to be, the degree of difficulty for certain things (like recruiting). We keep it above the line in our disagreements. Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing about you, and therefore I'm happy to not engage you at all. I've made mention that there are only a few posters on here I ignore. So congratulations on that part.

Now back to our regular programming...

Lol. My response to you came directly from your reply to wade about the negativity to Key so it was in fact pretty logical to believe you were chiming in with him in reference to me. But whatever.

I have no guilty conscience about my take on Key as I think it’s perfectly reasonable.

As to the rest. You couldn’t, or refused, to cite a single instance. So I will maintain that there has been no widespread negativity cast at the new staff. Thank you for agreeing.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Knew you couldn’t. Thanks for proving it.

Lol just pull up any thread with a mention of Key and there will be plenty of examples. Not gonna waste my time doing research on something that's already obvious to everyone. And like I said in my previous post, I know for a fact one of your negative posts I responded to got deleted, who knows how many other examples there are of that.

But anyway, I won't respond to your posts anymore so this thread can get back on track. Just annoying how every new thread it seems has someone come in to talk down to everyone who dares have some excitement about the new regime.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Lol just pull up any thread with a mention of Key and there will be plenty of examples. Not gonna waste my time doing research on something that's already obvious to everyone. And like I said in my previous post, I know for a fact one of your negative posts I responded to got deleted, who knows how many other examples there are of that.

But anyway, I won't respond to your posts anymore so this thread can get back on track. Just annoying how every new thread it seems has someone come in to talk down to everyone who dares have some excitement about the new regime.

Your reading comprehension is lacking. I obviously and directly said “non Key negativity” regarding my own posts.

I guess in your opinion disliking a single coach on staff is widespread though. What does that say about fan negativity toward the prior staff?

As for detaining things. You yourself started this train off this track. I simply responded to you. You got me again.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We have a long way to go.
VT was down last year but they got a top 25 class this year.
They have 10 players at rank equal to or higher than our best 2.

Other teams are trying to get better too.

We need to target the top guys going to duke and vt. Their loss our gain is a 2 for 1!

This staff got a top ga running back to skip out on NC state and come to gt.
That's good on the face of it.
Look deeper
NCSt has almost NO RB Depth. ZERO
GT HAS them stacked up like cord would.
Great effort.

Last edited:

Animal02

Banned
I have said before that we could use more majors. No question. But how many HS seniors know what they are going to major in, anyway? A GT business degree will suffice for quite a lot of them.

Anyway, to the OP's point, I believe that several programs are not going to be happy to see that GT is going all-in on football.
People that will major in "anything" to play football with not do well at Tech.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I think you made my point agaain by looking at 50 instead of 25. w50 you have 21 taems getting them with GT at 0. so even if we could get 10% , no one team would be greatly impacted by our take away. right?

But there is a bit more concentration at the top.

10 may have been a high number, but even at 5-7 consistently I'm thinking would make an impact. Because you're stealing elite talent.

10 a year would be top 15, 5 probably puts us top 25.

For reference, we signed 12 of the top 50 in 2007.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
10 of top 50 in how many recruiting cycles.
10 per year is 40 in 4 cycles would make us Ala.
Getting 2 a year is possible .

Doing some recruiting research, and I happened upon a VERY interesting stat. I've followed recruiting since middle school, and one of the things I always looked forward to was the AJC Super 11. One thing I use to remember was GT always got at least 1 Super 11 kid, and we were in the running for several. Here's the stat I was referring to:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/high-school/meet-the-2017-ajc-super/yKEp0OjVfb3784YEJMmeNP/

The AJC Super 11 originated in 1985 with the purpose of identifying the best 11 high school football players in the state. The players’ status as college prospects always played a role in selection, but the main criterion always has been been the players’ production and potential on a high school football field.

During the 33 years, each Super 11 team seems to have its own storylines.

Georgia has signed five Super 11 players each of the past two seasons and six the year before. No current Super 11 player is committed to the Bulldogs, although they remain heavily in the picture for Adam Anderson, Fields, Salyer and Kearis Jackson. Georgia has never failed to sign at least one. Georgia Tech has signed 28 Super 11 players overall, though none since Shamire Devine in 2012.

That article was published in 2017, and GT did not sign a Super 11 recruit this cycle. I think that stat is indicative of the fight CGC and staff have on their hands in GA. I think we need to start seeing "Georgia Tech" on the lists of those recruits and have to be able to sign at least one of them a year in order to proclaim GT as being "back".

stech81

Helluva Engineer
When I was in high school almost nobody taught calculus until college. The uga coaches used that meme to scare high school boys away from GT. Now almost every high school has calculus and the word is not as scary to them. The negative used now is probably that GT is not a top tier program. That is the branding Collins is trying to change. If he does, then the Calc meme may return in some form.
Where did you go the high school ? I lived in Columbus Ga and went to high school from 68-71 and we had calculus. Although it was not a requirement you could take it. We had about 90 players on the football team and I would guess about 5 players per year took it. Does not sound like a lot but it was only for seniors.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Finding 10 of the top 50 in Georgia that want to "play school"...
Good luck.

I wish you were not correct, DCS, but you are VERY correct. Again, this is not just 4-star and 5-star athletes, although the pool of those that want to is VERY small, but it is the overall student population in general. I tutor a lot of high school kids, and I see their "desire" (or lack of it) for a "difficult to get" degree. It is a rare occurrence for them to have the IQ, the work ethic and most of all, the desire for a real education. (as you say, play school) There are a lot more females that are ready for this than males. That was not true, or at least I don't believe it was, 40 years ago.

I am very excited for the new staff to prove this logic WRONG. I would be overjoyed if they could get a lot of high recruits and keep them eligible. I would be the first to say, "paradigm was wrong."

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Jordan Yates and Griffin not being on the super 11 list seems to say something about that list. The AJC lists stopped being meaningful to me years ago as they tended to simply copy rivals and seemed to lose focus on actual on field success.

It was a great resource in the 80s and 90s but just meh today imo.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I assume you mean me, if not, please disregard. But if so, what about my post is negative about GT? My post is about high school players in Georgia.

I'm not sure what's worse. Saying GT is very hard academically or insulting recruits. I'm not suggesting that there are tons and tons out there who do want to focus as much attention on the "student" part "student-athlete" but I think there are more who WOULD if they thought it was worth it. You basically call most of the athletes out there lazy.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm not sure what's worse. Saying GT is very hard academically or insulting recruits. I'm not suggesting that there are tons and tons out there who do want to focus as much attention on the "student" part "student-athlete" but I think there are more who WOULD if they thought it was worth it. You basically call most of the athletes out there lazy.

Still wasn’t negative toward GT or any GT staff or players.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Still wasn’t negative toward GT or any GT staff or players.

OK. I'll connect the dots. If you insult the kids that's just another way of negative recruiting. I didn't say he was saying something negative about GT. But what the poster is doing is hurtful TO GT. The kids see the arrogance and smugness and they see how far down our noses we look at them and they don't want to even be associated with GT. Even the ones who are interested in "playing school" wouldn't want to have anything to do with us if they see how people here feel about them.

Animal02

Banned
Doing some recruiting research, and I happened upon a VERY interesting stat. I've followed recruiting since middle school, and one of the things I always looked forward to was the AJC Super 11. One thing I use to remember was GT always got at least 1 Super 11 kid, and we were in the running for several. Here's the stat I was referring to:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/high-school/meet-the-2017-ajc-super/yKEp0OjVfb3784YEJMmeNP/

The AJC Super 11 originated in 1985 with the purpose of identifying the best 11 high school football players in the state. The players’ status as college prospects always played a role in selection, but the main criterion always has been been the players’ production and potential on a high school football field.

During the 33 years, each Super 11 team seems to have its own storylines.

Georgia has signed five Super 11 players each of the past two seasons and six the year before. No current Super 11 player is committed to the Bulldogs, although they remain heavily in the picture for Adam Anderson, Fields, Salyer and Kearis Jackson. Georgia has never failed to sign at least one. Georgia Tech has signed 28 Super 11 players overall, though none since Shamire Devine in 2012.

That article was published in 2017, and GT did not sign a Super 11 recruit this cycle. I think that stat is indicative of the fight CGC and staff have on their hands in GA. I think we need to start seeing "Georgia Tech" on the lists of those recruits and have to be able to sign at least one of them a year in order to proclaim GT as being "back".
And two major factors were kicking in at the same time. Strengthening of the APR and a steady decline in $$$$ compared to our competition. One factor cannot be changed, the other apparently is changing dramatically....... hopefully that will cause some change.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
OK. I'll connect the dots. If you insult the kids that's just another way of negative recruiting. I didn't say he was saying something negative about GT. But what the poster is doing is hurtful TO GT. The kids see the arrogance and smugness and they see how far down our noses we look at them and they don't want to even be associated with GT. Even the ones who are interested in "playing school" wouldn't want to have anything to do with us if they see how people here feel about them.

Do you also believe everyone should stop degrading other schools, their degrees, and the Wal-Mart references as well for the same reasons? Should @Supersizethatorder-mutt also change his handle for same?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
And two major factors were kicking in at the same time. Strengthening of the APR and a steady decline in $$$$ compared to our competition. One factor cannot be changed, the other apparently is changing dramatically....... hopefully that will cause some change.

I think APR is definitely a factor, but not a killer. There are kids that can and will do the work at GT. Of course, you've heard me say this before, so we'll see.

It's CGC's job to convince them to come to GT now.