Implications of GT being relevant in recruiting

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
My point is that most elite kids will not want to sniff at calculus.

My point is that if they started learning calculus earlier, they would learn that it’s not as bad as some people make it out to be. IIRC, the algebra that’s required for calculus I was more difficult than the calculus itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I wish you were not correct, DCS, but you are VERY correct. Again, this is not just 4-star and 5-star athletes, although the pool of those that want to is VERY small, but it is the overall student population in general. I tutor a lot of high school kids, and I see their "desire" (or lack of it) for a "difficult to get" degree. It is a rare occurrence for them to have the IQ, the work ethic and most of all, the desire for a real education. (as you say, play school) There are a lot more females that are ready for this than males. That was not true, or at least I don't believe it was, 40 years ago.

I am very excited for the new staff to prove this logic WRONG. I would be overjoyed if they could get a lot of high recruits and keep them eligible. I would be the first to say, "paradigm was wrong."
I didn't say it, Cardale Jones did:

18183tgkpy8a6png.png

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure what's worse. Saying GT is very hard academically or insulting recruits. I'm not suggesting that there are tons and tons out there who do want to focus as much attention on the "student" part "student-athlete" but I think there are more who WOULD if they thought it was worth it. You basically call most of the athletes out there lazy.
Not lazy, just not interested in rigorous academics. You can't really be lazy and be a blue chip football prospect.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Do you also believe everyone should stop degrading other schools, their degrees, and the Wal-Mart references as well for the same reasons? Should @Supersizethatorder-mutt also change his handle for same?

Why does any of that matter? None of it changes the fact that by being demeaning in the attitude towards the recruits one hurts our ability to recruit.

But I'll answer your question. I don't really care about the other schools. It doesn't matter to me that we make fun of them just like they make fun of us. And the fact that fans of schools make fun of other schools does not make it a good idea to be degrading to the RECRUITS themselves. And, IMHO, that's what is happening when people continuously say that most of them are too lazy to "play school." Note once again that I'm not disagreeing that many of the kids out there don't want to "play school." I'm suggesting that it's not a good look to keep reminding people of that while we're trying to change the perception of what Tech has to offer academically since we can't change the actual course offerings and degrees.

Animal02

Banned
Why does any of that matter? None of it changes the fact that by being demeaning in the attitude towards the recruits one hurts our ability to recruit.

But I'll answer your question. I don't really care about the other schools. It doesn't matter to me that we make fun of them just like they make fun of us. And the fact that fans of schools make fun of other schools does not make it a good idea to be degrading to the RECRUITS themselves. And, IMHO, that's what is happening when people continuously say that most of them are too lazy to "play school." Note once again that I'm not disagreeing that many of the kids out there don't want to "play school." I'm suggesting that it's not a good look to keep reminding people of that while we're trying to change the perception of what Tech has to offer academically since we can't change the actual course offerings and degrees.
Nice try.....but NOT INTERESTED does not equal LAZY
The fact is, kids need to be reminded of how Tech differs from every other State U.....Recruiting a bunch of kids that end up academically ineligible at one or two semesters is a recipe for failure.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Not lazy, just not interested in rigorous academics. You can't really be lazy and be a blue chip football prospect.

The way you said it here is not demeaning. At least not in my opinion. But frequently you do say it in a condescending and demeaning way or in a way that is ambiguous enough to be easily interpreted as such. I'm not suggesting that your one voice makes the difference. But when a LOT of people say to the kids "hey, GT is very, very difficult and will make you take calculus" and then they hear from GT people "you kids don't want to play school" what other way can they take that than GT isn't the place for them and that even GT people are insulting them and their abilities. We don't need to be perpetuating or feeding the negative recruiting others are doing by adding in our own "you can't do it because kids like you don't want to do it."

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Nice try.....but NOT INTERESTED does not equal LAZY
The fact is, kids need to be reminded of how Tech differs from every other State U.....Recruiting a bunch of kids that end up academically ineligible at one or two semesters is a recipe for failure.

I'm not talking about the phrase "not interested" and you know that. I'm talking about saying things like "kids don't want to play school." To you and I those two phrases MIGHT mean the same thing. One comes across as demeaning. The other doesn't. How often do you see every single word someone says be analyzed and taken apart and then interpretations (frequently negative) assigned to them. Do you really want kids to interpret things the way they hear it? I recognize where the phrase came from. I knew it basically came from Cardale Jones and frankly I thought it sounded stupid then. But I believe that many of the kids don't go to college with getting a good degree as their top priority. You know we agree on that. But there are kids out there that I believe, and clearly our staff believes, can do the work and can be convinced to want to do the work or be interested in doing the work.

Animal02

Banned
I'm not talking about the phrase "not interested" and you know that. I'm talking about saying things like "kids don't want to play school." To you and I those two phrases MIGHT mean the same thing. One comes across as demeaning. The other doesn't. How often do you see every single word someone says be analyzed and taken apart and then interpretations (frequently negative) assigned to them. Do you really want kids to interpret things the way they hear it? I recognize where the phrase came from. I knew it basically came from Cardale Jones and frankly I thought it sounded stupid then. But I believe that many of the kids don't go to college with getting a good degree as their top priority. You know we agree on that. But there are kids out there that I believe, and clearly our staff believes, can do the work and can be convinced to want to do the work or be interested in doing the work.
So what is your point? The kids you are talking about are not going to get upset about the term " not wanting to play school" .If anything , they will know it is true.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
So what is your point? The kids you are talking about are not going to get upset about the term " not wanting to play school" .If anything , they will know it is true.

Fair question. We aren't talking about the ones who really aren't interested in putting the kind of effort needed to take academics seriously anywhere, much less at GT. We're talking about the ones who can do the work and who can be shown that the work is worth it instead of constantly hearing that it's not worth it or that the level of work required at GT isn't worth it. I probably think the number of kids who fit that description is larger than you do but that's OK as either one of us could be right. But let's say it's just a few kids a year. Wouldn't it be worth it to get a few more difference makers a year? Not a ton. Even one or two could help push us to the next level on the field. So it's not the ones who are obviously too uninterested. It's the ones who might seem that way but can be shown reasons why it IS worth it.

Animal02

Banned
Fair question. We aren't talking about the ones who really aren't interested in putting the kind of effort needed to take academics seriously anywhere, much less at GT. We're talking about the ones who can do the work and who can be shown that the work is worth it instead of constantly hearing that it's not worth it or that the level of work required at GT isn't worth it. I probably think the number of kids who fit that description is larger than you do but that's OK as either one of us could be right. But let's say it's just a few kids a year. Wouldn't it be worth it to get a few more difference makers a year? Not a ton. Even one or two could help push us to the next level on the field. So it's not the ones who are obviously too uninterested. It's the ones who might seem that way but can be shown reasons why it IS worth it.
No one is saying Tech should not try to get a few ... on the other hand, those that think we have a top 10 and or top 20 every 4 years is setting themselves up for major disappointments.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
No one is saying Tech should not try to get a few ... on the other hand, those that think we have a top 10 and or top 20 every 4 years is setting themselves up for major disappointments.

I am not at all suggesting that anyone is saying we should not try to get a few. I know everyone here wants to get more difference makers and is hoping that happens AND that we convert that to more wins on the field. I don't ask anyone to believe and am totally understanding of wanting to wait and see. I get it. I just want to see GT folks stop perpetuating the notions that our coaches are working really hard to dispell.

I think you and I are generally in agreement about where we can realistically expect to be. I may feel like our ceiling is a little higher but I agree that expecting top 10 classes is unrealistic. I also think you and I agree that it would great if CGC and company exceed those expectations. I hope we can meet at a tailgate sometime and toast a GT win!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I gotta say. The attitudes toward high school football players on this board are pretty elitist and sad. Yes, there are going to be *some* who have zero interest in school or can barely read, but you guys are exaggerating it quite a bit. Look at somebody like Jamious. Impressive kid all around. You don't think there are a handful like him in Georgia every year?
Yes but they are never defensive tackles. :)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Where did you go the high school ? I lived in Columbus Ga and went to high school from 68-71 and we had calculus. Although it was not a requirement you could take it. We had about 90 players on the football team and I would guess about 5 players per year took it. Does not sound like a lot but it was only for seniors.
Which high school?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
OK. I'll connect the dots. If you insult the kids that's just another way of negative recruiting. I didn't say he was saying something negative about GT. But what the poster is doing is hurtful TO GT. The kids see the arrogance and smugness and they see how far down our noses we look at them and they don't want to even be associated with GT. Even the ones who are interested in "playing school" wouldn't want to have anything to do with us if they see how people here feel about them.
This is where I am conflicted. I want like heck for every prospect to think of Tech as a warm and nurturing place. And I certainly hope they don't read some of the more candid comments on here.

But.

College sports have changed dramatically since the days of Bobby Dodd. Fewer players today are college ready even as their athletic skills have increased exponentially. Tech has to thread the needle more than ever. I want us to be able to talk about that honestly without doing damage. Georgia in particular has a problem with failing schools and underperforming students. Uga will always have an easier time negotiating this landscape than Tech will. But I want us to do better and I am pulling for CGC 100%.