Implications of GT being relevant in recruiting

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes but he didn’t provide that same info for our SAs. That’s my entire point. All he provided regarding our SAs was that their scores ranked in the bottom quartile of the very high SAT scores amongst the entire student body.
The average SAT scores of the incoming football players (in that class) being 420 below would be 1025. Still higher than most.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The average SAT scores of the incoming football players (in that class) being 420 below would be 1025. Still higher than most.

And did you notice he didn’t make any mention of the actual SAT scores of mutt SAs? Unless I missed it.

Maybe it was not intentional but he compared apples to oranges when equating our SA scores and mutt scores. Yes both were below student body average. Our SA scores were actually respectable when compared to all high school seniors. That wasn’t true for the mutts and I think his article attempted to equate our SAs scores as subpar in general statewide.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
And did you notice he didn’t make any mention of the actual SAT scores of mutt SAs? Unless I missed it.

Maybe it was not intentional but he compared apples to oranges when equating our SA scores and mutt scores. Yes both were below student body average. Our SA scores were actually respectable when compared to all high school seniors. That wasn’t true for the mutts and I think his article attempted to equate our SAs scores as subpar in general statewide.
Yeah I don't know. Couldn't read the entire article this time. May try to skim through it later. But we know how the AJC leans. I was pleasantly surprised the see even that much balance for Tech rather than just a GT reality check lol.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

The biggest thing I gather from that isn't that GT has a wide admissions gap between general population and SAs, it's that GT is doing a f$cking great job graduating SAs. When that article was written in 2014, the grad rate was 79%...which is still impressive. Now I believe it's in the 80's. Then you look at what UGA is doing. Are you kidding me?

As a GT coach, IMO, you can walk into any room and have the confidence to tell any kid if he works as hard off the field as on the field, he'll have an elite degree that less than 1% of the world has. Sell exclusivity. All CGC needs to do is point to the grad rate, and point to academic rankings. Those are facts that other schools can't refute.

CGC made it known that academics isn't taking a backseat to athletics under his watch: players have to sit on the front row, mandatory tutoring attendance unless they are senior enough with a certain GPA, GPA competitions, etc. (CGC had a special sticker that Temple players got to put on their helmets if they had a 3.0+ GPA). For those that are worried that our APR is about to take a big hit to compromise for signing more elite players, I think that fear is misguided.

I think CGC is 100% bought in and aligned with TStan's Total Person program...which is why CGC emphasizes being elite in every phase in life.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
The biggest thing I gather from that isn't that GT has a wide admissions gap between general population and SAs, it's that GT is doing a f$cking great job graduating SAs. When that article was written in 2014, the grad rate was 79%...which is still impressive. Now I believe it's in the 80's. Then you look at what UGA is doing. Are you kidding me?

As a GT coach, IMO, you can walk into any room and have the confidence to tell any kid if he works as hard off the field as on the field, he'll have an elite degree that less than 1% of the world has. Sell exclusivity. All CGC needs to do is point to the grad rate, and point to academic rankings. Those are facts that other schools can't refute.

CGC made it known that academics isn't taking a backseat to athletics under his watch: players have to sit on the front row, mandatory tutoring attendance unless they are senior enough with a certain GPA, GPA competitions, etc. (CGC had a special sticker that Temple players got to put on their helmets if they had a 3.0+ GPA). For those that are worried that our APR is about to take a big hit to compromise for signing more elite players, I think that fear is misguided.

I think CGC is 100% bought in and aligned with TStan's Total Person program...which is why CGC emphasizes being elite in every phase in life.

Georgia Tech football exceeds the national average for FBS programs by seven percentage points (86 percent vs. national average of 79).
https://ramblinwreck.com/another-all-time-best-graduation-success-rate-for-gt/

Might need some 2.5GPA stickers lol

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Baker High School which is not there now . Was in Columbus Georgia
Knew the school. I was at CHS about the same time. When I was there calculus was an elective that you took only if you ran out of math courses to take. Only the "nerds" took it and our star students never seemed to take it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I took calculus at Hardaway H.S. in Columbus in 1970. stech81 went to a different H.S. & apparently took calculus there,,,
(As a side note, I also took 1/2 year of slide rule!!!!)
I'm beginning to think education was better back then. :). But I don't know what they were talking at Spencer and Carver.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Ah I see where you're coming from. And there's absolutely nothing at all wrong with having that honest dialogue here or anywhere even if the kids are poring over these pages, which I doubt (though I know occasionally parents have been known to peruse board pages). Where I think we sometimes go overboard as a fanbase is helping perpetuate the idea that GT is not a challenge that kids should aspire to be able to handle and that, as a whole, high level athletes can't and/or won't do the work. The truth is that @dressedcheeseside is completely right that there is a high percentage of these kids who do not have the desire to do the work. In fact I will go so far as to say that most kids don't really have the desire to do the work that is required to excel at GT. There's nothing wrong with you, me, or anyone saying that anywhere on any medium. It's the truth and it isn't insulting to anyone and, if it scares away some athletes and students then it probably should. But let's be mindful that there actually are high level athletes who can do the work, who are willing to do the work, or who are at least willing to hear what it really takes because what GT offers is worth it and we have coaches who are good at communicating that message in a way that more of these high level athletes might be able to hear.
Hard to argue with that. :)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Knew the school. I was at CHS about the same time. When I was there calculus was an elective that you took only if you ran out of math courses to take. Only the "nerds" took it and our star students never seemed to take it.
Yes I guess CHS is Columbus High. Their Coach was Al ( pig ) Davis he tried to get 7 of us to come to Columbus High to play football. 2 of then went George Schumcher and our QB from Jr High Jimmy Denny but he ended up only playing Basketball as far as I know.
Yes calculus was an elective to take it you had to take Algebra in 9th grade Geometry in 10th and Trigonometry in 11 th .

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yes I guess CHS is Columbus High. Their Coach was Al ( pig ) Davis he tried to get 7 of us to come to Columbus High to play football. 2 of then went George Schumcher and our QB from Jr High Jimmy Denny but he ended up only playing Basketball as far as I know.
Yes calculus was an elective to take it you had to take Algebra in 9th grade Geometry in 10th and Trigonometry in 11 th .
Pig Davis produced several players for Auburn while I was there and one for Ole Miss and one for Clemson. In state finals my sophomore year.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Pig Davis produced several players for Auburn while I was there and one for Ole Miss and one for Clemson. In state finals my sophomore year.
Not sure about my freshman I was on the freshman team, 69 we won 6-0 and made the playoffs , 70 they beat us , senior year we beat them I think something like 26-20. We had a couple go to Tech 3 go to Alabama and a few to Troy. Those were the good days :)

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
Gee,,,, Columbus GA thread!! At Hardaway, during my time, we had one receiver go to Duke, & one LB go to Auburn....
I do remember an interview with the Clemson QB on their 1980 national championship team . His major was dairy science, where he learned about milk & cheese & ice cream!!!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Gee,,,, Columbus GA thread!! At Hardaway, during my time, we had one receiver go to Duke, & one LB go to Auburn....
I do remember an interview with the Clemson QB on their 1980 national championship team . His major was dairy science, where he learned about milk & cheese & ice cream!!!
Hardaway, Baker and Columbus High alumni on one thread must mean there is some kind of cosmic crack in the universe.

Perhaps there is more to some majors than the name implies. My youngest daughter did digital archiving for a firm in the financial district in NY. She triple majored in college and she said her African American studies major was challenging. But it may have been because of where she went to school.

So maybe dairy science involves a lot of advanced chemistry. :)