Implications of GT being relevant in recruiting

Animal02

Banned
Wet blanket. [emoji41]

I wonder if colleges ever intervene with a prospect’s high school academics to help get them ready for the rigor of college?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The rigors of college? Majoring in Turf Management, Parks and Recreation, General Studies,. or are you talking about the fake classes at UNCheat?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I gotta say. The attitudes toward high school football players on this board are pretty elitist and sad. Yes, there are going to be *some* who have zero interest in school or can barely read, but you guys are exaggerating it quite a bit. Look at somebody like Jamious. Impressive kid all around. You don't think there are a handful like him in Georgia every year?

herb

Helluva Engineer
I think it would hurt UT, Auburn, USCe, and maybe FSU the most. The big 3 are what they are.

So, yes would probably hurt UT, USCe and the one offs that come into the state to get a player. Auburn and FSU (at least FSU for a while but another year like last year and that could change.) probably not so much. Southwest Georgia is as much Auburn country as it is Georgia to a large degree and deep South Georgia near the Florida line is serious FSU country. Those two are a little different.

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
I gotta say. The attitudes toward high school football players on this board are pretty elitist and sad. Yes, there are going to be *some* who have zero interest in school or can barely read, but you guys are exaggerating it quite a bit. Look at somebody like Jamious. Impressive kid all around. You don't think there are a handful like him in Georgia every year?

Specifically, he mentioned the positive academics as being a reason for choosing GT.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
The rigors of college? Majoring in Turf Management, Parks and Recreation, General Studies,. or are you talking about the fake classes at UNCheat?

I was mainly talking about calculus at GT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT_EE78

Banned
25 vs 50 is a bigger distribution. Top 50 is mostly 4*, with a sprinkle of high 3* types.

Using the 247 list, 21 teams signed players from GA. Auburn had 7, followed by TN, UGA and Clemson with 5, Notre Dame/Michigan/Bama with 3 and then a host with 2 or 1 (GT has 1)

I honestly think there is a mentality of if you don't go to UGa, go out of state. I'm really hoping we can change the mindset, or this could go very terribly wrong.

Top 100 in GA is mostly P5, so you could go a little larger with the group than 50.
I think you made my point agaain by looking at 50 instead of 25. w50 you have 21 taems getting them with GT at 0. so even if we could get 10% , no one team would be greatly impacted by our take away. right?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
10 is not a handful. 5 is a handful and then you have to beat out a bunch of other high end academic programs like ND, Stanford, etc. Hell, even many of the factories have high end programs of study. The difference is there's barely any football players in them.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Since I’ve been the most vocal against CBK I’ll assume you two are referring to me. And you are both conflating many things erroneously.

I’ve always said Tech can win at the highest levels. Not every year but occasionally enough. Said it for O’Leary, Gaily, Paul, and now CGC. Do I think it’s harder at Tech than a typical factory? Of course. It will take a lot of change to make me think it’s not harder at Tech typically.

What negativity is being thrown at the staff? Yeah I’ve made it clear I don’t like Key and why. What other negativity is being thrown at any other staff member???

Those who are waiting to see games played before annointing this staff as amazing are not being negative toward the staff. They are taking a wait and see approach.

Other than Key I challenge both of you to cite / quote all of this negativity you imply I’ve “thrown” at the staff.

Other than my own posts I challenge you both to cite / quote “negative” posts from others about the staff.

If you can’t do the above without solely citing pragmatic wait and see type posts....you are both either deranged, deluded, or trolling.

I contend there is no widespread negativity. There does appear to be widespread demand for group think that validates your own opinions. That’s very odd behavior imo.

There's a difference between taking a wait and see approach vs. coming into every thread to basically just be the "wet blanket" as others have said. There was even a negative post from you in the "Fingerpoint" thread that ended up getting deleted, so I'm not able to quote here.

But I don't need to provide quotes, anyone who pays attention knows who the negative posters are. We don't need quotes, it's obvious in the tone of pretty much every post. And the fact that the same "negative" posters responded to my post without me having to tag anyone shows the negative guys know who they are as well. ;)

JasonJ

Georgia Tech Fan
You have to look at where the top 25 are from. Historically, Auburn has done well in Atlanta. I think GT would impact them the most. It is like big Ralph says, the rural GA kids just can't handle the academics.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
10 is not a handful. 5 is a handful and then you have to beat out a bunch of other high end academic programs like ND, Stanford, etc. Hell, even many of the factories have high end programs of study. The difference is there's barely any football players in them.

Truth be told, I think there are dozens. We are talking about half-decent students who can be sold on the value of a good education. You seem to be restricting our recruiting to future Einsteins.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
And of those "dozens". Likely 10% desire majoring in engineering or management.

I have said before that we could use more majors. No question. But how many HS seniors know what they are going to major in, anyway? A GT business degree will suffice for quite a lot of them.

Anyway, to the OP's point, I believe that several programs are not going to be happy to see that GT is going all-in on football.

herb

Helluva Engineer
You have to look at where the top 25 are from. Historically, Auburn has done well in Atlanta. I think GT would impact them the most. It is like big Ralph says, the rural GA kids just can't handle the academics.

I think Auburn will still get their share. They really are popular on the western side of the state and they somehow convinced Cam to come to them when he was allegedly offered 200,000 to play elsewhere.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When I was in high school almost nobody taught calculus until college. The uga coaches used that meme to scare high school boys away from GT. Now almost every high school has calculus and the word is not as scary to them. The negative used now is probably that GT is not a top tier program. That is the branding Collins is trying to change. If he does, then the Calc meme may return in some form.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Most of them want to go to uga though. We haven’t been getting our fair share and hopefully this staff can.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
There's a difference between taking a wait and see approach vs. coming into every thread to basically just be the "wet blanket" as others have said. There was even a negative post from you in the "Fingerpoint" thread that ended up getting deleted, so I'm not able to quote here.

But I don't need to provide quotes, anyone who pays attention knows who the negative posters are. We don't need quotes, it's obvious in the tone of pretty much every post. And the fact that the same "negative" posters responded to my post without me having to tag anyone shows the negative guys know who they are as well. ;)

Knew you couldn’t. Thanks for proving it.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Most of them want to go to uga though. We haven’t been getting our fair share and hopefully this staff can.

Yep. The main question has been whether they are avoiding us because of academics or because they don't think we play big time football. I think this staff is going to figure out the answer to that question.