Ideas to raise our visibility ?

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Go in heavy with Men's and Women's Soccer? Build on what Atlanta United brought to GT during their first season. Would also help get more use of BDS. And as much as I hate to say it, I think it's the sport of the future in the US. Better to start a tradition of success now rather than later.

I don't profess to know the startup and continuing costs for soccer programs but this idea would definitely help to capture more local mindshare. Atlanta is one of the top youth soccer markets in the country. The ACC historically has had some of the top soccer teams in the nation. This combination could establish a new pipeline of those considering and talking about GT, which helps with overall exposure.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Notwithstanding egregious errors, I would utilize the University of Louisville model.

Louisville saw unprecedented success in many sports after the turn of the century and was able to negotiate its way into the ACC. The school accomplished this through an aggressive branding model that included:
1. Securing non-alumni, lucrative sponsorship deals with Papa Johns and Yum! Brands (KFC, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell);
A. These deals led to several athletic facility renovations, including the football stadium and basketball arena that are named Papa Johns Cardinal Stadium and the KFC Yum! Center, respectively.
2. Utilizing the same logo and uniform scheme across all sports;
3. Agreeing to play wherever and whenever ESPN would put them on national television; and
4. Consistent messaging and lobbying on behalf of the university.

Since it seems that we cannot achieve necessary funding from alumni to compete in athletics, we must aggressively expand and focus our interests on alternative methods of fundraising. This includes corporate sponsorship opportunities to secure necessary funding to compete at a high level.

We have two choices: (1) Explore new opportunities for funding (including the sale of naming rights for stadiums) and play anytime we can be on national TV; or (2) Maintain our history, play on Raycom so that games can be on Saturdays, and watch other programs that are more aggressive and innovative surpass our athletic programs.
Spot On.... However not sure the Hill will Support this!

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I don't profess to know the startup and continuing costs for soccer programs but this idea would definitely help to capture more local mindshare. Atlanta is one of the top youth soccer markets in the country. The ACC historically has had some of the top soccer teams in the nation. This combination could establish a new pipeline of those considering and talking about GT, which helps with overall exposure.

Agree 1000%. BUT, if we can't fully fund all the sports we have now, why start a new one? AI2020. GIVE!

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree 1000%. BUT, if we can't fully fund all the sports we have now, why start a new one? AI2020. GIVE!

Sometimes, focusing on being able to maintain what you have can get in the way of growth. I don't know whether soccer could be revenue neutral, but I also think we could work on recruiting internationally to start building a fan base outside of the normal GT fan base.

While I'm not a huge fan of watching soccer, I see it being the top USA sport within the next 10-15 years. Better to get ahead of the curve. And I do think TStan has some vision for the future, so we'll see what happens.

And anything that uses our facilities more is a good thing, imo. BDS needs investment, and only using it 6-7 weekends a year plus the occasional practice is ludicrous and tilts against investing.

plangineer

Jolly Good Fellow
So some ideas that I think would work well. (Some already mentioned in this thread).

1. Sell naming rights to various sub-components of the stadiums. You want a football suite, $1MM annually, for $500,000 you can get a suite at McCamish or the Rusty C, for $250,000 you can get a suite at Mewborn or any of the other stadiums/venues.

2. Use the "Presented by" trick to sell naming rights to the stadium and fields. BDS@HGF Presented by Delta, or Russ Chandler Stadium Presented by Mizuno. Alexander McCamish Pavilion @ Cremins Court presented by Intuit Quick Books. This gets us sponsorship money while maintaining the proper names of the stadiums

3. Pay for more ad space on non-680 related radio stations. Get a Yellow Jacket Roundtable on Wednesdays hosted by Joe Hamilton and Andy Demetra to counteract the Bulldog Roundtable they have on Tuesdays and Thursdays. In fact, every Tech fan and supporter should email the people on this list and ask for more GT content. http://www.680thefan.com/management-contact-info/

4. Sell tours of facilities in that facility's offseason. As a tie in with being a technology leader use some sort of VR to help people experience the field of play.

5. Support local GT event nights like the upcoming June 15 game at SunTrust Park

6. Work with the hill to raise the status of the school in the city. Pay for advertising on Marta, billboards, radio. Have a campaign to spread GT's everywhere ITP, and in targeted OTP locations. Stress our strength as an economic engine, a start up hub, a job creator. Make sure that every new company that comes mentions the talent pool at Tech. Spread Tech lore at MomoCon, DragonCon, Atlanta Comic Con, the Chick-fil-A kick off games and bowls (perhaps a short video presentation in pre-game or halftime highlighting Tech as the "Host Institution"

7. A marketing campaign about putting the "I" in the "ATL" (a'la the 2008 "Screw the U, Fear the I" bits)

8. Install awnings over the stadium that have various corporate logos of sponsorship on them.

9. Convince Atlanta United to form a special relationship with us, 1 game a year in BDS, more Gold in the 5 stripes unis, constantly being thankful to the support that GT provided to get them off the ground.

10. When GTAA buildings and spaces are not in use rent them as event space, little league city championships (free space at Rusty C and Mewbourne), Big corporate event, top floor of the new Edge overlooking BDS. Big swim meet, come swim at the home of Olympic Champions. Concerts, video game tourneys in AMC, etc

11. You win a state Championship in any sport, you get a trip to midtown to see the Yellow Jackets play/compete in your sport and a second of your choosing. If you make the final 4 of any state tourney you get steeply discounted tickets for same events. Become the home and destination of as many youth sports championships, celebrations, etc as we can. Get people used to coming into the city for sporting events.

12. Design, market, and push for politically an improved mass transit system (designed by Graduates and Students of Atlanta's own Georgia Tech) for two purposes. 1 Make it easier to get folks to the games (a train out of the NW on a Thursday night would be lovely, 2. to fix traffic and let people know that we did it. Marketing and publicity are key.

This would be a start, and yes it would require some spending to get rolling. However, just being vocal, which as a long time resident of Atlanta we do not seem to ever be in the news or on people's lips, should help tremendously.As fans we can possibly affect #3 and in general we just need to be loud and proud. Greet each other in the store (What's the good word should not get uncomprehending stares at Kroger), wear Tech gear 2-3 times a week during major sporting seasons. Generally remind people we exist and that there are a lot of us. If you can, and are a season ticket holder, bring someone new to a game each year, spread the love.

Thoughts, comments, halucinations?
#12 is an interesting twist - maybe develop an app that focuses on parking & routing information for select lots, or partner with Waze or a similar service that already provides that information. Folks can check which route is fastest as they leave the game, get updates on construction, crashes, etc - and have it tailored to GT fans and visitors

And / or partner with MARTA and provide discounted passes - if you buy a season ticket, you get a 25% discount on a 10 or 20 trip breeze card or something. Also better signage / sidewalks to and from North Ave station would be ideal too - let riders know that BOOM this is the stop for Bobby Dodd. Similar to the Falcons / Atlanta United banners in their station.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Remember, as The Ratio changes at Tech, so does the weight to maintain Title IX. There's no way we're going to add any male sports without female sports. As I see it, we'll need to add a female sport just to remain compliant with Title IX.

As a personal opinion, I think Division I Football should be excluded from Title IX requirements. Obviously, when you have a 105 student male-only team, you've got an uphill battle to reach equity. Considering most AA's generate a huge portion of their revenue from football, I think they should be exempted from the count.

At least in Augusta, and probably elsewhere as well, soccer is BIG in the private schools, and private school students generally receive excellent educations, so recruiting good STUDENT/athletes to Tech for soccer should be easier than for most other sports.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I'm interested to know why you think that would be easy. The State just passed a transportation law that will allow combining Cobb and/or Gwinnett transportation authorities with MARTA, or expansion of Cobb and/or Gwinnett transportation services. However, the design of such a system will be very easy compared to the political and financial needs to get such projects approved and funded. Modifications and expansions of roads are the same. The design of roads is much easier than the political fights over them.

Sarcasm, sorry I assumed the smiley face would give it away. The internet needs a sarcasm font. That task(#12) in and of itself dwarfs all others in that list and I would never tie it to the task of raising awareness for Tech.

Maybe Tech can invent the sarcasm font to huge acclaim throughout all of the known interwebs.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
So some ideas that I think would work well. (Some already mentioned in this thread).

1. Sell naming rights to various sub-components of the stadiums. You want a football suite, $1MM annually, for $500,000 you can get a suite at McCamish or the Rusty C, for $250,000 you can get a suite at Mewborn or any of the other stadiums/venues.

2. Use the "Presented by" trick to sell naming rights to the stadium and fields. BDS@HGF Presented by Delta, or Russ Chandler Stadium Presented by Mizuno. Alexander McCamish Pavilion @ Cremins Court presented by Intuit Quick Books. This gets us sponsorship money while maintaining the proper names of the stadiums

3. Pay for more ad space on non-680 related radio stations. Get a Yellow Jacket Roundtable on Wednesdays hosted by Joe Hamilton and Andy Demetra to counteract the Bulldog Roundtable they have on Tuesdays and Thursdays. In fact, every Tech fan and supporter should email the people on this list and ask for more GT content. http://www.680thefan.com/management-contact-info/

4. Sell tours of facilities in that facility's offseason. As a tie in with being a technology leader use some sort of VR to help people experience the field of play.

5. Support local GT event nights like the upcoming June 15 game at SunTrust Park

6. Work with the hill to raise the status of the school in the city. Pay for advertising on Marta, billboards, radio. Have a campaign to spread GT's everywhere ITP, and in targeted OTP locations. Stress our strength as an economic engine, a start up hub, a job creator. Make sure that every new company that comes mentions the talent pool at Tech. Spread Tech lore at MomoCon, DragonCon, Atlanta Comic Con, the Chick-fil-A kick off games and bowls (perhaps a short video presentation in pre-game or halftime highlighting Tech as the "Host Institution"

7. A marketing campaign about putting the "I" in the "ATL" (a'la the 2008 "Screw the U, Fear the I" bits)

8. Install awnings over the stadium that have various corporate logos of sponsorship on them.

9. Convince Atlanta United to form a special relationship with us, 1 game a year in BDS, more Gold in the 5 stripes unis, constantly being thankful to the support that GT provided to get them off the ground.

10. When GTAA buildings and spaces are not in use rent them as event space, little league city championships (free space at Rusty C and Mewbourne), Big corporate event, top floor of the new Edge overlooking BDS. Big swim meet, come swim at the home of Olympic Champions. Concerts, video game tourneys in AMC, etc

11. You win a state Championship in any sport, you get a trip to midtown to see the Yellow Jackets play/compete in your sport and a second of your choosing. If you make the final 4 of any state tourney you get steeply discounted tickets for same events. Become the home and destination of as many youth sports championships, celebrations, etc as we can. Get people used to coming into the city for sporting events.

12. Design, market, and push for politically an improved mass transit system (designed by Graduates and Students of Atlanta's own Georgia Tech) for two purposes. 1 Make it easier to get folks to the games (a train out of the NW on a Thursday night would be lovely, 2. to fix traffic and let people know that we did it. Marketing and publicity are key.

This would be a start, and yes it would require some spending to get rolling. However, just being vocal, which as a long time resident of Atlanta we do not seem to ever be in the news or on people's lips, should help tremendously.As fans we can possibly affect #3 and in general we just need to be loud and proud. Greet each other in the store (What's the good word should not get uncomprehending stares at Kroger), wear Tech gear 2-3 times a week during major sporting seasons. Generally remind people we exist and that there are a lot of us. If you can, and are a season ticket holder, bring someone new to a game each year, spread the love.

Thoughts, comments, halucinations?
I Really like the thought you put into this. And agree with all , though none will be easy. It's what we need in the AD ( TStan is on the right track, IMO) , but especially the Hill with push from alumni, including wealthy ones !