Ideas to raise our visibility ?

Well, parts of it were sensible ---

1. Win! Win. Win
2. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
3. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
4. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
5. A dominating defense.
6. Embrace Atlanta more ticket giveaways with local youth leagues is a no brainer to me.
7. Every high school in the metro should experience a GT game for free.
8. Ditch 680 (they never talk GT anyway)
9. Embrace the nerd. Place should have all kinds of tech and cool stuff everywhere. I shouldn’t feel like I’m taking a step back in time and look around and feel like I’m at a senior living facility. E games and everything should be incorporated into the experience.
10. Social media and be more media friendly and savvy. Make the message cool and fun on every platform.
11. Embrace the diversity of the region and campus. I feel like I’m in an old white guy club sometimes in the stands.
12. WIN.[/QUOTE]

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Well, parts of it were sensible ---

1. Win! Win. Win
2. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
3. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
4. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
5. A dominating defense.
6. Embrace Atlanta more ticket giveaways with local youth leagues is a no brainer to me.
9. Embrace the nerd. Place should have all kinds of tech and cool stuff everywhere. I shouldn’t feel like I’m taking a step back in time and look around and feel like I’m at a senior living facility. E games and everything should be incorporated into the experience.
10. Social media and be more media friendly and savvy. Make the message cool and fun on every platform.
11. Embrace the diversity of the region and campus. I feel like I’m in an old white guy club sometimes in the stands.
12. WIN.
[/QUOTE]

2-4 are key. He gotta go, if you serious.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Gonna go ahead and assume that you're just trolling and don't actually think that playing some songs during games is all that's necessary to embrace the hip hop culture of ATL. And also my post wasn't really about fan attendance. Honestly I think fan attendance is a bit of a losing battle (for everyone not just GT), and although it's important I wasn't addressing that. I'm more concerned about gaining sidewalk fans for the ripple affect it can have on recruiting down the road. I want kids in the metro ATL area to grow up cheering for GT (even if only from home), wearing our gear, and dreaming of playing on the flats. I'm tired of seeing these posts on kids we are recruiting where 99% of their family and friends are UGA fans and the only one pulling for GT is mama (because of the education). And yet they live right down the street(tic....kinda) from campus. For better or worse peer/family pressure can (and to varying degrees, do) influence recruits choices.

So how can we change that? Of course the product on the field is a big thing. But that's not what this thread is about. So my larger point is that GT needs to embrace ATL's culture and be THE school of Atlanta. I specifically called out hip hop because as someone who grew up in Atlanta it's something that is a part of the city's culture for me, and I think would resonate with recruits and the younger generation. But that doesn't mean that its the only music genre that's a part of our culture or that would appeal to recruits. So lets figure out what parts of the culture (music, sports, food, whatever) we want to embrace and drum up a fan base in our own city. FWIW I think CJP and the basketball team is already starting to do this, but here's just a few ideas I had in the last few minutes of thinking about this.
  • Donald Glover (aka Childish Gambino) is one of the hottest rappers and comedians of the past few years, and a self-proclaimed NERD (come on that's too easy) and he grew up no that far away in Stone Mountain. Maybe he'd be willing to do a show on campus and tickets only go to the first X students and X fans that go to the game that weekend.
  • Quavo (rapper in the group Migos) is a huge basketball fan (and has some game himself) and periodically host charity football and basketball games. Could we organize a celebrity scrimmage at McCamish and make him and some other ATL celebrity captains. I'm sure there are other ATL based celebs that would play, I can think of a few that hoop off the top of my head. We could give out free GT t-shirts to the first X attendees.
  • When I was at tech I took a history of jazz class. Could we offer a class on any of the music genre's connected to ATL. Could we have any of the artist named above as a guest lecturer.
  • Could we offer a class on Audio Engineering or music production engineering or whatever its called (this is not my area of expertise) and get one of the many producers in ATL to guest lecture.
  • Turner broadcasting is right there, gotta be something we could be doing there.
Maybe some (hell maybe all) of these ideas are bad or have been tried already, but is anyone in the AA thinking about this? I also realize most of the ideas above are hip hop focused but as I mentioned I talk about that because that something I know. I'm not suggesting we over rotate on the hip hop thing because I now some of you old guys' heads would explode. But I'm sure there are people with other better ideas on parts of the ATL culture we can incorporate into the GT experience.

Sorry for the long post, FWIW even though I'm a season ticket holder I live in NYC now and don't get a chance to make it to many games so I have not had the chance to hear what they play in the stadium now. But I'd bet a good amount of money that most of the players, students, and recruits don't think its "gawd awful". But anyway I'm sure you were just trolling for the sake of trolling so I'll get off my soapbox now.
Usually when someone posts something another person does not like, the "trolling" phrase comes out.Actually, you went a long way around just to use the term twice. I don't troll, I say what I believe. Glad you have season tickets, wish you could attend more games so you could expierence the music that is being piped in now. Nothing against hip hop music a few times per game, but the music played now has done away with the GT Band, but they do get to play the "Budweiser" song each game. I did make a mistake on my earlier post when I used the word "noticed" twice.Should have been "not" noticed an increase in fan attendance. Go Jackets!

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Usually when someone posts something another person does not like, the "trolling" phrase comes out.Actually, you went a long way around just to use the term twice. I don't troll, I say what I believe. Glad you have season tickets, wish you could attend more games so you could expierence the music that is being piped in now. Nothing against hip hop music a few times per game, but the music played now has done away with the GT Band, but they do get to play the "Budweiser" song each game. I did make a mistake on my earlier post when I used the word "noticed" twice.Should have been "not" noticed an increase in fan attendance. Go Jackets!

I’ve always had a very eclectic taste in music...metal, rock, rap, outlaw country, classical, etc. If I like the way it sounds, I’ll listen to it and I don’t care what the genre is. However, I think some of the piped in music this year has been horrible. In fact, they’ve played this one “song” more than once that I don’t think even qualifies as music...sounds like an electric fiddle or something. That being said, if it pumps up the players or crowd, I’ll go along for the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLKJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Eh I agree the word "trolling" gets thrown around too much these days. I probably should have used another word but couldn't think of anything better at the time. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I didn't really take issue with yours. It just seemed like you were taking my post about GT as a whole embracing the city's culture and boiled it down to what music is played during games. But I'm guessing that wasn't actually your intention and you were simply giving your opinion on one aspect of the stadium experience.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

jmahone

Georgia Tech Fan
At least in Augusta, and probably elsewhere as well, soccer is BIG in the private schools, and private school students generally receive excellent educations, so recruiting good STUDENT/athletes to Tech for soccer should be easier than for most other sports.
I've been preaching this for years. It's embarrassing that Tech does not have varsity men/women soccer. The ACC is dominant historically in soccer. Lots of kids play soccer from 4-5 years old on up. Youth soccer is enormous in the South these days, and very popular everywhere else, as well.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Perception will change when GT gets serious about football.

1. Win! Win. Win
2. Chunk that offense. No one cares if you score 65 without completing a pass. No one.
3. This is a buzz glitz town, we like it shiny. Have a nice shiny offensive approach.
4. A coach that’s doesn’t come off as a pompous a hole with the media.
5. A dominating defense.
12. WIN.

Agree on all points except #'s 2 and 3. Don't care what works as long as it does.

The rest I'm with you on, especially the ticket giveaways, which will do a lot for diversity and gaining fans. Main things are numbers one and twelve, though. Win.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
We need to embrace diversity and the culture of Atlanta without alienating existing older fans. This is doable but they need someone competent on the PA system. I'm young and like hip-hop music piped in on occasion but it should be situational and coordinated with the band. This is my #1 complaint the past several years. I complain on every survey I receive and nothing ever gets better. Speaking of those surveys I haven't received one in quite some time.

We should also have a local college day where Agnes Scott, Emory and any other surrounding college gets in free/cheap and provide transportation.

I've been preaching this for years. It's embarrassing that Tech does not have varsity men/women soccer. The ACC is dominant historically in soccer. Lots of kids play soccer from 4-5 years old on up. Youth soccer is enormous in the South these days, and very popular everywhere else, as well.
I imagine the biggest reason we don't is because we don't have the money to support it. That's why EVERYBODY needs to contribute to the Athletics Fund; it's not just about football.

We need to embrace diversity and the culture of Atlanta without alienating existing older fans. This is doable but they need someone competent on the PA system. I'm young and like hip-hop music piped in on occasion but it should be situational and coordinated with the band. This is my #1 complaint the past several years. I complain on every survey I receive and nothing ever gets better. Speaking of those surveys I haven't received one in quite some time.

We should also have a local college day where Agnes Scott, Emory and any other surrounding college gets in free/cheap and provide transportation.
I haven't received a survey since the second home game.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
I am of the opinion that to work in Marketing at GTAA, one need not have any qualifications in the field as a condition of employment.
In my experience you just need a pulse and a smile to work in marketing. To be good at marketing you need actual talent which I rarely encounter.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
In my experience you just need a pulse and a smile to work in marketing. To be good at marketing you need actual talent which I rarely encounter.

I don’t know if I am misunderstanding your statement. Having run marketing for 2 Fortune 50 firms, it requires an incredible amount of sophistication and knowledge. If the hires only have a pulse, they are bad hires.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Also please don't remove this post or move it because its true. Getting a new coach would raise our visibility alot

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
It sure didn't help when we went from Dodd to Carson/Fulcher/Rodgers/Curry, with the downward spiral that created. Or Ross to Lewis or O'Leary to Gailey. Why would you automatically assume it would now?
You really don't think we are at a standstill when it comes to CPJ getting us more attention?