Ideas to raise our visibility ?

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Update, $48M of the $125M has already been raised.

Ask and you shall receive. Amazing what a difference an AD reaching out can make.

In the same vein of visibility, we have the kind of prime time, white out, National TV game we've been asking for. We better fill the stadium and create a big time atmosphere.

After the VT game, Parker Braun said he wished Bobby Dodd would have that kind of atmosphere for a game... let's give it to them.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Ask and you shall receive. Amazing what a difference an AD reaching out can make.

In the same vein of visibility, we have the kind of prime time, white out, National TV game we've been asking for. We better fill the stadium and create a big time atmosphere.

After the VT game, Parker Braun said he wished Bobby Dodd would have that kind of atmosphere for a game... let's give it to them.

Enter Sandman really sets the mood up there in Blacksburg. When I went to the game in 2016, I found that the song and the fans jumping up and down was infectious. Hell, I wanted to jump with them.

Full disclosure: I am a Metallica fan and went to a concert of theirs after that album came out so maybe that song brings me back to my youth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

Yea I got an email from them a month or two ago and I can't even remember what it was about. But I threw a few bucks their way and responded to the email that I gave them more money simply because they asked.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
We have actually done some of this in the past. For those that don't remember, our basketball facility was officially renamed "Alexander Memorial Coliseum at McDonald's Center" for 10 seasons from 1996 to 2005 in conjunction with a $5.5 million donation to help pay for the mid-1990s renovation. The court also had McDonalds logos during that time. Folks just referred to it as the "McTit," based on the McDonald's endorsement and aerial view from the sky :ROFLMAO:
I gotta tell you, I hated that McDonalds logo on each end of the court.I cringed every time I walked in the colisium.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I actually think we should embrace the "nerd" tag. Nerd culture is in right now, half the kids we are recruiting probably grew up playing video games and watching anime. Hell one of the biggest trends of 2018 has been Fortnite. For those who don't know Fortnite is an online video game thats played by everyone from NBA & NFL athletes to A-list celebs. Hell Drake had over half a million viewers watching him (and others) play a few months ago. Maybe its just me but I think the "Nerd Athlete" brand would appeal to more recruits than we think (if done right).

This! I've never understood why we don't try to brand ourselves as ATLs team. Seems like most people in the metro area would connect more with a team downtown than one in the middle of nowhere Athens (no offense to any posters that live in Athens). We should be embracing ATL and the Hip Hop culture here. We should be learning from ATL United.
Have you not been listening to the music they pipe into the stadium now? Gawd awful hip hop and I've noticed noticed an increase in fan attendance.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Remember, as The Ratio changes at Tech, so does the weight to maintain Title IX. There's no way we're going to add any male sports without female sports. As I see it, we'll need to add a female sport just to remain compliant with Title IX.

As a personal opinion, I think Division I Football should be excluded from Title IX requirements. Obviously, when you have a 105 student male-only team, you've got an uphill battle to reach equity. Considering most AA's generate a huge portion of their revenue from football, I think they should be exempted from the count.
Womens soccer would be a good start for Tech. New funded sport that complies with Title IX. Men's team to follow later.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Enter Sandman really sets the mood up there in Blacksburg. When I went to the game in 2016, I found that the song and the fans jumping up and down was infectious. Hell, I wanted to jump with them.

Full disclosure: I am a Metallica fan and went to a concert of theirs after that album came out so maybe that song brings me back to my youth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We need to bring back zombie nation amd the History of Tech football followed into a DMO pump up speech as the team walks through the tunnel

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
The bobblehead giveaway/whiteout/night game is going to bring a lot of fans to the stadium this weekend. I think gimmicks (and obviously a night game) like that can help. I hope that Tech takes advantage of the big crowd and has lots of stuff going on before and after the game to keep people sticking around.

Another idea that a local college did near where I live was just calling all the bars in the area and asking if they wanted free stuff (posters, signs, tshirts, whatever). It's basically free advertising and sports bars love that stuff. Usually colleges have lots of free promo stuff laying around too so it doesn't cost much. I was just thinking about it because the last time I was in Atlanta I didn't see a lot of GT stuff in the restaurants and bars I went to.

This is obviously small, drop in the bucket stuff. The ACC network and the money it brings us will help way more but I guess every little bit helps.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Another idea that a local college did near where I live was just calling all the bars in the area and asking if they wanted free stuff (posters, signs, tshirts, whatever). It's basically free advertising and sports bars love that stuff. Usually colleges have lots of free promo stuff laying around too so it doesn't cost much. I was just thinking about it because the last time I was in Atlanta I didn't see a lot of GT stuff in the restaurants and bars I went to.

This is obviously small, drop in the bucket stuff. The ACC network and the money it brings us will help way more but I guess every little bit helps.

That’s the thing about being in a major city. It’s not like Blacksburg, Clemson, Auburn, or Athens, where the university IS the town.

There’s probably as many Ohio State alums in Atlanta as GT.

BLKJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Have you not been listening to the music they pipe into the stadium now? Gawd awful hip hop and I've noticed noticed an increase in fan attendance.

Gonna go ahead and assume that you're just trolling and don't actually think that playing some songs during games is all that's necessary to embrace the hip hop culture of ATL. And also my post wasn't really about fan attendance. Honestly I think fan attendance is a bit of a losing battle (for everyone not just GT), and although it's important I wasn't addressing that. I'm more concerned about gaining sidewalk fans for the ripple affect it can have on recruiting down the road. I want kids in the metro ATL area to grow up cheering for GT (even if only from home), wearing our gear, and dreaming of playing on the flats. I'm tired of seeing these posts on kids we are recruiting where 99% of their family and friends are UGA fans and the only one pulling for GT is mama (because of the education). And yet they live right down the street(tic....kinda) from campus. For better or worse peer/family pressure can (and to varying degrees, do) influence recruits choices.

So how can we change that? Of course the product on the field is a big thing. But that's not what this thread is about. So my larger point is that GT needs to embrace ATL's culture and be THE school of Atlanta. I specifically called out hip hop because as someone who grew up in Atlanta it's something that is a part of the city's culture for me, and I think would resonate with recruits and the younger generation. But that doesn't mean that its the only music genre that's a part of our culture or that would appeal to recruits. So lets figure out what parts of the culture (music, sports, food, whatever) we want to embrace and drum up a fan base in our own city. FWIW I think CJP and the basketball team is already starting to do this, but here's just a few ideas I had in the last few minutes of thinking about this.
  • Donald Glover (aka Childish Gambino) is one of the hottest rappers and comedians of the past few years, and a self-proclaimed NERD (come on that's too easy) and he grew up no that far away in Stone Mountain. Maybe he'd be willing to do a show on campus and tickets only go to the first X students and X fans that go to the game that weekend.
  • Quavo (rapper in the group Migos) is a huge basketball fan (and has some game himself) and periodically host charity football and basketball games. Could we organize a celebrity scrimmage at McCamish and make him and some other ATL celebrity captains. I'm sure there are other ATL based celebs that would play, I can think of a few that hoop off the top of my head. We could give out free GT t-shirts to the first X attendees.
  • When I was at tech I took a history of jazz class. Could we offer a class on any of the music genre's connected to ATL. Could we have any of the artist named above as a guest lecturer.
  • Could we offer a class on Audio Engineering or music production engineering or whatever its called (this is not my area of expertise) and get one of the many producers in ATL to guest lecture.
  • Turner broadcasting is right there, gotta be something we could be doing there.
Maybe some (hell maybe all) of these ideas are bad or have been tried already, but is anyone in the AA thinking about this? I also realize most of the ideas above are hip hop focused but as I mentioned I talk about that because that something I know. I'm not suggesting we over rotate on the hip hop thing because I now some of you old guys' heads would explode. But I'm sure there are people with other better ideas on parts of the ATL culture we can incorporate into the GT experience.

Sorry for the long post, FWIW even though I'm a season ticket holder I live in NYC now and don't get a chance to make it to many games so I have not had the chance to hear what they play in the stadium now. But I'd bet a good amount of money that most of the players, students, and recruits don't think its "gawd awful". But anyway I'm sure you were just trolling for the sake of trolling so I'll get off my soapbox now.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Perception will change when GT gets serious about football.

1. Win! Win. Win
2. Chunk that offense. No one cares if you score 65 without completing a pass. No one.
3. This is a buzz glitz town, we like it shiny. Have a nice shiny offensive approach.
4. A coach that’s doesn’t come off as a pompous a hole with the media.
5. A dominating defense.
6. Embrace Atlanta more ticket giveaways with local youth leagues is a no brainer to me.
7. Every high school in the metro should experience a GT game for free.
8. Ditch 680 (they never talk GT anyway)
9. Embrace the nerd. Place should have all kinds of tech and cool stuff everywhere. I shouldn’t feel like I’m taking a step back in time and look around and feel like I’m at a senior living facility. E games and everything should be incorporated into the experience.
10. Social media and be more media friendly and savvy. Make the message cool and fun on every platform.
11. Embrace the diversity of the region and campus. I feel like I’m in an old white guy club sometimes in the stands.
12. WIN.